Transformations: US-style vs. Japanese-style

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Awesomus Prime, May 28, 2009.

1. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Here's a useless question that I decided to post out of pure boredom.

Which transformation-style do you prefer in your TF cartoons?
    US-style = Straight forward, quick, and animation quality pending

or

Japanese-style = Well-animated stock footage ("Digivolve sequences") that involves the character shouting: "[Name], Transform!"

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel a happy medium can be found between the two. Take Animated for example. Most transformations were quick and to the point. Other times (rather few) were stock in depth transformations.

In my minds eye it only goes wrong when the stock footage style is used constantly. It should be reserved for first apperances and special occasions.

3. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

yeah, Animated didn't over do it like the Unicron Trilogy (like Cybertron)

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I can't really judge asi have not seen any japan only TF series

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, you need to have a quicker, "in-scene" transformation if you don't want to interrupt the action.

G1 had a lot of good uses of that. The closing credits for Season 1 are a great example, with Prime, several generic Seekers, and others transforming while in motion or about to move.

I find the Seekers transforming and taking flight as they finish to be particularly nice.

I also never liked the name-yelling, not even in BW. You know who you are, just transform already!

The occasional really elaborate scene can be nice for a change or to create drama, but as anything other than a rarity I dislike it.

- Coeloptera

6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I agree with this.

The well animated stock footage does a good job of getting young viewers excited. But when used too frequently, it loses its charm.

7. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

American all the way.

8. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I like more the US style mainly for nostalgia. I HATE the word "transform!" in the sequence...

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I would prefer if they did not do the anime style. Its simply filler and adds nothing to the plot. And it is going to be overused if given the chance so I say not to use it in the first place.

Plus, its always the Deus Ex Machina to end a battle - especially the power ups. Simply the fact that they powered up allows them to beat the enemy. There is no strategy except "my power level is higher than your power level". Its very dumb writing. I'd rather go with a Batman:TAS type of clever resolution to conflict. Whereby Batman outhinks his opponent rather than just pummels him. Or at least use smart military/espionage strategy.

Something akin to how Shikamaru in Naruto would win battles. His battles were won with strategy, not simple brute force or special willpower.

10. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Japanese 100%. It makes it look awesome,instead of an afterthought. I think TRANSFORMing should be an important part of a show called Transformers.

11. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

I prefer a good mixture similar to how TF Animated did it.

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

American. Transformers shouting "Generitron! TRANSFORM!" makes about as much sense as me shouting "Sledge! MAKE SANDWICH!" It's a normal part of their existence, there's no reason to be making such a big deal about it. Also, it avoids the "why don't you just shoot whilst he does his five minute transformatin sequence?" problem.

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when you say US style what do you mean? G1 that was only wrote in the US the rest was Japanese/Korean, Beast Wars I'd say that's Canadian but I don't mind saying its US styled for this topic and style wise its unique as one of the earliest full CGI cartoons that had to do many things based around technical limitations rather then art choices. Finally Animated I'd guess its style is clunky and with little detail but with some good ideas and storys.

Japanese shows are far more formulaic Autobots are whiter then white (apart from that 1 anti hereo) and the Decepticons are just d**ks.

Now from a writing POV I like what's gone on in the states. That's not to say everything wrote in the US is gold but those beast wars writers they got to do parts of animated know their stuff clearly. On the flip side of that their are many Japanese shows I think that equal the quality of writing both in plot and characterisation.

Looking at art style I have to say Japan has got giant robots down I'm sorry CN maybe next time

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    American style for me!!

15. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    "Autobots! Transform and roll for it!" G1 Optimus Prime

How's that for an answer?

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, but TF:A made it work only because of the flashy stylized nature of the cartoon.

I prefer the Movie-style transformations, they're straight-forward but involve panning camera shots that show them off, but it happens real-time and the backgrounds are the same.

And Japanese-style Stock-transformations aren't always well-animated. There's a couple from RID that are used over and over but aren't that exciting or well-drawn, and the clipping issues from the CGI ones of Eng/Cyb.

17. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

this

18. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    well hard to say
    since i like both.
    in america i like how the plot is simple in japan i like the battles and fighting so yea.

19. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I like both, but I reckon that the Japanese-style stock-footage ones get overused too much. E.g. there was one Cybertron episode, early on, where Ransack and Crumplezone always zapped to a streaky background to transform, even when said transformation took about two seconds.

Animated does it well, as does the movie.

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    How about maximize or terrorize?