Transformations: Movie vs Game

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jedi2016, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

So I was watching some of these videos of the game. You know, the usual frame-by-frame to watch the transformations. Everybody does that.. uh.. right?

Anyway, I noticed some variances between the movie and the game in terms of transformations. Or at least, what we know of the transformations. In the movie, Prime's arms appear to come from the nose of the truck. In the game, they come from the sleeper cab, like the Leader figure. In the movie, Bumblebee's arms unfold from under the hood. In the game, they fold back along his side, again like the Deluxe figure (although I have theorized that maybe BB transformed that way in the film to avoid hitting the two humans who were sitting right next to where his arm would have come from).

And I was watching the BTS video of the opening cinematic by Blur Studios. The guy who did the full-on Brawl transformation apparently had no idea how the robot actually transformed... all they got from ILM were the two main models. Robot mode and alt mode, but not the animation file to change between the two. He describes how he had to pick the tank apart and figure out how to transform it into the robot. I think he did a bang-up job, to be sure, but it sounds like this probably isn't how Brawl is going to transform in the film.

Do you guys think the game will be a good pointer as to how the TFs transform in the film? Or do you think they were forced to "wing it" and make up their own transformations? Because that would kind of suck.. to have all of this support from ILM, up to and including the film-used digital models, but not to have the actual transformation information from ILM's animators?

To those of you who have played the game, how accurate do the transformations appear to be? Are there cases where we get the slower, hundreds-of-moving-bits transformations, or is it always the speedy "action transformations" that we've seen in most of the gameplay videos? Because those appear to be less accurate than they could be, because of how fast they have to happen.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    well, the transformations in the game should be mostly ignored. they cheat like hell. bumblebee's car hood comes from his shoulders in the slow-motion transformation scene we've seen in the game trailers, while his hood is still visible on his chest.

Just wait for the movie. you'll be able to figure it out then.

as for prime, to get the right colors on his limbs, the legs have to be formed by the back blue part of the cab, and some mechanism swings the front wheel well to his ankle (kind of like how the back wheels end up on his upper legs on the leader class toy). his grill goes on his stomach, including the autobot symbol thats on it. arms have to come from the nose, they're mostly red. so both the game and the toys cheat with prime too.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I've come to call an "action transformation", one that's done while the robot is doing something (running, fighting, etc). But in that one Ironhide/Blackout video, Blackout does a wonderfully complex full-on transformation (still has some cheating, but it looks so damn cool). That's the sort of thing I'd love to see more of in the game. I'm hoping that when the character's aren't doing anything, they do the slower, more complex animation. But it worries me because all we've seen are the quickie, flip-around-in-the-air-to-hide-crappy-animation transformations... I think that Blackout transformation is from a cut-scene and may not actually be like that in the game when you're playing as him.

4. cms64

cms64 Active Member

in the trailer when starscream does a backflip/transform/take-off that is so awesome and i can imagine they would have to cheat to pull that off.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they dont have to cheat. starscream has a pretty simple transformation. they cheat because they dont want to take the time to properly animate the transformations, because it would take a very long time.

6. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I don't mind a little cheating as long as it looks OK.

now the toys can't cheat....

7. cms64

cms64 Active Member

unless they have a supercomputer from ten years from now, it would be almost impossible to render every movement in a quick-change like that because the models are complex.

I always wondered what beast wars would look like with today's technology and a bigger budget...

8. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I always found it weird how it could take nearly 10 seconds to transform on some characters through the years, and the enemy would never take this valuable time to attack. I imagine they just sit there and stare at their foe blankly while they could have easily shot them.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Somewhat related:

I...actually -really- like the DS versions' transformations, especially ones like Brawl. They utterly cheat, but there is so much movement it fills in the gap in my mind's eye.

10. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Standard procedure in Anime, some weird anime code of honour. :D 

Nah, I think within the show the transformations are real fast in real time, but those extra long transformations are slow motion captures of their Transformation sequence, or that's how I choose to interpret them.

11. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

What I liked about Cybertron long transformation sequences, is that the background was formed of some colours, as if it was the subspace. The transformer goes to subspace, where he transform or acquire his trailer, and then returns to real world already tranmsformed. I like to think that is what happens.