Transformations, I'm getting old.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The story starts off at my local Walmart on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. I have some American greenbacks to spend, so I purchase a Voyager Sea Spray. I don't have to worry about taking pics of him because he has been photographed for our toy gallery already, so I get home and open him up.

I transformed him a couple times back and forth and I gotta say, I don't like it. Too much pulling and pushing things. What I mean is, you gotta put some stress on certain parts to pull pegs and tabs out and clip them back in. I don't mind the complicated engineering and transformations that go into these figures. It's when you need to start adding a little stress to parts here and there that bothers me. Same thing with WFC BB, when putting him into alt mode I feel like I'm having to push on panels a little too much.

Sometimes I go and pull out my older tf's cause they are alot more fun to transform. For display purposes, you can't beat today's Transformers. But when I want to play around a bit with my toys, nothing beats pulling out Cybertron Downshift and Movie Fracture.

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Many complicated designs these days make fickle transformations more likely, and thus removes a good bit of will to get one in either mode.

I would have to say that lately, the PCC line is all about fun and fast transformations. When you pick one up you just got to fiddle and play with it because their actually hassle free when transforming. I disliked them at first glance, but then these guys really grew on me since they're too much fun when you get on in your hand.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not even sure to which parts on Seaspray you might be referring to. I find him to be very solid and fun!

What I'm more interested in is the fact that you found him at Wal-mart! Haha

4. ckhowling

ckhowling Well-Known Member

I'm totally the opposite. The more challenging the transformation, the better. I like having to change it back and forth a few times to get the hang of it. I'm into puzzles as well, so that may have something to do with it.

5. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the Autobots have to take a lunch break while you transform Leader Brawl, it certainly does put a damper on the fun "action" play that kids like. Sadly, the movie figures have to be complicated because the movie designs themselves are complicated. I do like a few movie toys, but the Classics/Universe/Generations line is so much more fun and pleasing to play around with, I think. They're not too simple where they are boring, but not generally over-complex where it isn't all that encouraging to spend the time to transform a toy. It's been month since I did anything with Leader Jetfire.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yeah my friend I feel the same way. I just feel sometimes that toys from the 80's where what I grew up on and its something I CAN transform but even though these NEW toys are awesome and such, nothing can beat the idea of what those toys where and how they transformed back then. I have that new seaspray and the directions just suck period. I had to resort to looking at the box to even get it to vehicle mode and then back again and that even goes with Arcee as well. Don't get me wrong, I love seaspray and would have loved to had him back in the day like this new 1 but hes sort of tough to transform.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love Ldr Brawl's robot mode so much- hate transforming him so much, as well- that i am perfectly fine with keeping him in bot mode.

when i got Ldr Screamer, i had trouble with his transformation. i couldn't get his hips disconnected without much strain and fearing a broken toy.

the newer movie toys have given me fits, the generations line has been actual joy to transform and I am really eager to get my PCC commanders in the mail.

Aside from the TRU MP Grimmy and MP Ghost SS, i am a simple guy who just wants simple fiddle fodder for my fingers. (+1 for alliteration!)

i miss the simplicity of the minibots and G1 cars. Heck, even G1 Sixshot is easier to go through all his incarnations than Ldr Starscream.
    that's what i miss.

and yeah, i feel old now, thanks.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I'm 28 and I have the same problem, I have all the PCC, partly because they fit on my desk and the ease of transformation, and the robot you get out of it isn't crap.

I remember a while back my mom bought me RID Ultra Magnus, It's a great toy but it definately got me out of Transformers for a while, Spychangers Smokescreen brought me back.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree... I don't like frustrating transformations. In fact, I sold a bunch of my 2007 movie toys just for that reason. I hated transforming them and thus they weren't fun.

WFC Optimus is an example of being complex and fun at the same time.

Seaspray... I don't see the problem with him. Everything seems to fit together fine on mine without any stress.

10. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The more complex the better, IMO.

11. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

Generations figures are a treat to transform. Complex transformations, and fantastic display bots.

MP I reserve for display only, but the GEN and PCC figs chill at my desk because they're great to fiddle with.

12. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I just miss being able to transform a Transformer without having to "cheat" and look at the instructions. Don't know about anyone else, but as a kid I very rarely consulted the instructions and could usually just figure them out on my own. The combination of my older (and dumber) brain plus the more complicated designs of the toys has not equaled tons of fun.

13. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i appreciate a little henkei bee and classics seekers from time to time but i love complicated transformations.

having said that, MP Megatron is in robot mode for 2 years now and that's how he will be forever and ever.

14. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    You haven't transformed Ultimate Bumblebee recently, have you? It's like a work out session.

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    This word is strange to me.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I like more complex transformations. So I generally pull out an ROTF figure or a Masterpiece figure instead of my old Armada stuff.

Though sometimes, a simple, quick, transformation is just what the doctor ordered.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I found that too. For me it's not about complex vs simple, it's about inventiveness and ease of transformation. I don't like boring obvious transformations, and I don't like fiddly frustrating transformations either.

WFC Optimus is one of the most complex deluxes in recent times, but it's never awkward or messy. It's all very slick and well put together. There's ease of transformation in spite of the complexity.

Yeah, that one is horrible. I didn't enjoy how much you have to force things to get them in place. You feel you're going to break it.