Transformation...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jon5000, Jul 2, 2011.

1. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Did anyone else think the transformation sequences were a bit lazy this time round? Other than Prime and Bumblebee's hero shots, which they've had 3 movies to perfect, I felt a bit let down this time round...

I know there's a lot of cheating that goes on anyway, but in some cases they were done so quickly you wonder if anything was happening at all? Sentinel Prime specifically, I felt was executed really quite poorly. Once the sides of his 'cape' came down, that seemed to be it. And those 'dreads' vehicles. They seemed to have little to no visual relationship with their vehicle modes at all, once their 'shells' were hidden away.

Could just be me!

2. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. I was extremly disappointed with the Transformations in DOTM, there werent alot of good ones. I was also disappointed with the Transformations in ROTF, somehow, only TF1 got that really right.

3. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I'd really like a couple reasons why. I thought the transformations were fine.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    That's the movie style for ya, car explodes in million pieces and the nthose pieces "seamingly" turn into a robot, but if you watch closely you can see tons of parts dissappearing or showing up out of nowhere and moving in impossible ways.

It's just a trick so your brain just registers as if they transformed but i nreality the robots mode and the car mode have very little n common, maybe a few wheels and one or two car parts...

5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When the one dread first transforms on the freeway, it felt like 1/4 of his body/parts just disappeared.

The other two seemed big and bulky enough that I could almost believe it.

The one transformation that sticks with me was during the final battle when Sentinel beats a hasty retreat and transforms into his truck-mode through the smoke and flames.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    So your telling me that the Dreads and Ironhide crash transformation scene wasn't cool? Or that Mirage's first transformation wasn't either?
    Well okay then.

7. transformers863

transformers863 Assassin

There was the one where Prime was in a bad mood and threw himself at that one lady. That was cool.

8. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    I too felt a lot of the transformations were done poorly. I dont ever recall seeing Optimus transform into a truck? I know a lot of people questioned this in the first movie as we seen OP transform from truck to bot but never the other way around and then we got it in ROTF but it felt very rushed and cheap. I question why in all 3 movies do we always get this massive labored have to see where every little piece goes when Optimus transformes from truck to bot but when he did transform from bot to truck in ROTF, it was very very quick? Honestly, i think the only Autobot in DOTM that we see transform back and forth a few times in the movie was Bumblebee. We dont even get to see Megatron transform back into tuck mode in the movie. As for the Decepticons, Soundwave did do both but even his transformation was him spinning so fast while he transformed it felt like a Tasmanian devil cartoon lol.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, there were some lazy ones. We never got to see Sentinel Prime clearly/fully transform. There were some I liked though. Optimus Prime's in the hangar, Bumblebee's, and we got nice full transformation for Megatron when he's introduced in Africa.

10. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Actually, come to think of it Megatron's was executed quite well too. Though I'd imagine if you slowed it down that his limbs do sort of 'appear' from behind disappearing panels much like the others.

It's obviously a very expensive thing to do one screen, considering the time it probably takes to animate I guess.

I just felt a little bit cheated with Sentinel's mostly. Watching the final battle on the bridge, you can just see his side panels/front of the boxy firetruck disappear altogether and there's magically robot parts inside. Not unlike the toy really!

It's probably also due to the design process of the 'bots also. The designs, as beautiful as they are, are beginning to veer away from logic slightly in their extravagance. There seems to be a lot of morphing/disappearing going on as oppose to actual transformation. Then again, they are aliens I guess!

11. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Ah yeah, that was a good one. Also, Megatrons Transformation was pretty good, almost TF1 Style.

And to all the haters: Its bad enough that they cant even get the Transformations in G1 right without letting parts disappear. So there...

12. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One aspect I liked about Megatron's transformation was we see the cab lift up in the air and then it gives a loud shuddering sound like it locked into place on his chest area before the transformation continues. Reminded me a b it of how certain parts of Optimus locked into place during the transformation in the 2007 film.

13. StarScream686

StarScream686 Member

i feel that the transformation is DOTM looked cool but cheated way to more than normal. Sentinels last transfomation were optimus charges at him was his best one , yet it was probably the shortest transformation in the movie. The highway scenes transformations didnt make that much sence as Sideswipe and Bumblebee were just flying in mid-air half transformed. Also when Bumblebee transforms fully in that scene and sam goes flying, catches him then transforms, that bit was a real cheat, As the camera was all over the place and you really couldent tell what was happening. :/ 6/10 in my opinion

14. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

some transformations were good, megs in particular. loads of transformations were muddy, but i can accept that as i can see where it would be so difficult as to make the movie costs skyrocket.

15. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the one with Soundwave transforming as he threw out Sam and Carly. That was real cool. Dino's first transformation was aslo preety sick.

16. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

here are pics of the dreads to clarify somethings, might have to enlarge

Attached Files:

17. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Still better than turning into a box, IMO.

18. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Leader of the Lost

News Credits:
    Totes not in South Bay, CA. Go away, NSA.
    i believe the studio more than $195 million to animate everything, forcing them to cover some transformations.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    All Transformers media cheat the transformations, even the toys. I think Movieverse has done a fair job, especially since the transformations are actually worth focusing on.

Certainly better than Beast Machines or G1 Omega Supreme.

20. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Th reason the transformations were so good in the first movie was because that was the "wow factor" part. It was something that had never been shown before and they wanted to pull across the idea on how they actually did transform. It was their new gimmick.

I was fine with the transformations in the last two to be honest.