transformation portrayal in toons.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by microclone, Apr 3, 2008.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one thing i like in animated is a return to the faster Tf sequences (are these called tasmanian devil TF???) i like to see some parts shifting about roughly corresponding to the toy but thats enough.

One thing that really turns me off the energon type TF is that point for point high fidelity type TF, theres no room for artistic licence, initially its quite cool as it releates true to the toy but it lacks something i cant put my finger on. For some reason i find those few frame animated sequences more fun. in fact i actually like the massive licence in G1 where say astrotrain suddenly becomes a massive space shuttle, its so much more corny and thus enjoyable.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I often find the "toy accurate stock footage presentation" TFs used in Armada through Cybertron kinda funny, especially when they make a huge presentation out of moving some small part, like the feet.

in that aspect, I see Animated as similar to G1, with a little anime influence thrown in, in that the Transformations are as fast or as showy as the situation dictates.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, I personally love the "blurred" transformations used in several places since they don't slow down the action at all. That was my biggest criticism of all the stock footage in the Japanese shows - sometimes, they worked. Other times, they slowed down an action scene waaay too much. One example was in Energon. Everyone was getting ready for a huge battle, racing across Cybertron to meet the Decepticon invasion. And they all transform with stock footage. Took upwards of five minutes to get through all of Optimus and Rodimus' guys (by contrast, the Decepticons did a single group transform in about ten seconds which looked far better). The battle from there was just a mess of stock footage and repeated animations on different backgrounds, which dragged out terribly.

At least with Animated, there is a lot less of that, and a lot better choreography for the fight sequences. Transformations fit the scenes like good old G1. Once in a while, we get a drawn out transformation and that's great, and they're good because we've seen them all of twice in 15 episodes. And those two times were done differently anyway.

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Plus, the minimal stock footage allows the transformations to be a lot more interesting. In "Nature Calls" Bumblebee made these really cool, smooth transformations.

5. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Yes. As Springer once said "They think about what they do before they do it."

I recall a fan cartoon strip in which Star Saber had to become Victory Leo and his transformation took such a long time to do that The Decepticons got bored and left.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BW had the best transformations, but Animated comes in a good second place to them. Animated has the cartoony taz-TFs, but also has real transformations that are just quick.

Cybertron had it worse, with every TF each having at least two transformation sequences.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Animated does the transformations well.

But what I like is that it's a serious TREAT when we get a stock animation style transformation, like Starscream's in Megatron Rising part 1. That was completely awesome and unexpected there, which is how those should be.

I can't wait to see where they put in Megatron's stock transformation as we saw in that one video.

8. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I think Animated's stock footage transformations are supposed to be something of a method of conveying suspense of sorts. Basically, it's far more impressive to see a helicopter fly in, menace the Autobots, and then transform in a long sequence into Megatron, rather than have him simply go WAKA WAKA WAKA and transform in a second.

Though I do agree with the overuse of transformation sequences in the Unicron trilogy. Come on, they're just turning into cars and things! It's not like they're going Super Saiyan or anything!

(Speaking of which...is anyone else happy that alt. modes actually have a purpose in this series apart from driving in space?)

9. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    I think the first "stock footage" Megatron transformation in Rising pt2 was justified. The second (reverse) one was pushing it.

10. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I think if they use the stock footage like once an episode, thats enough. Shouldn't need that for each character, every time they TF. Just silly.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i like the transformations that match the situation-like Starscream transforming the way he did was nice-but if overused, like Megatron's, then it bugs me a bit. i personally like the ones where you see the transformation, but its casual, not likr the whote blurrs, but when you notice the bits moving around to the right spot.