Transformation in movies VS Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by andychen, Jun 29, 2007.

1. andychen

andychen Member

For guys who have watched the movies and have ultra sharp eyes,
    I know transformation in the movies will never be exactly the same as the toys. But how are they similar VS the toys. I am particularly interested in Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Ironhide etc.
    I guess that Starscream has the simplest transform in the movie. Did he transform similar to voyager Starscream ie cockpit on the front body pulled down to become the head of F-22 and fly off? How about Ironhide etc?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Bonecrusher seems to transform pretty much the same in the movie and the toy

3. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Starscream's movie transformation seems pretty complex, actually. You can see it in the second trailer; his engines fold over his back to decelerate him, and then tuck further into his back, while his head seems to rise out of what was the front of the plane. The wings seem to break up and fold around somehow, too. But it does seem that the major portions are the same: cockpit becomes chest, bottom fuselage becomes legs.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Of the voyagers*, Starscream has the LEAST movie-accurate transformation. In the movie the robot mode winds up being much shorter.

*this does not count Voyager Prime

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really can't tell if the transformations are toy accurate because seriously the effects were very fast and in some instances its like you see only part of the transformation due to the zoom-in effect like Optimus' first appearance.

Actually I think the the toys' transformation are 60-70% movie accurate? Example, I think I saw Ratchet's transformation for the chest as accurate...Ironhide for his shoulders thingy and Optimus when the er, head pops out...I was in awe of the transformations to remember all aspects of it.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I think the only thing the leader class optimus gets right is the windshield and head.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, the thing about the movie is that the transformations look so complex, that one can get "lost"...I think when the movie is released in the US, we can get more feedback as to whether the toys transformations are "movie accurate".

8. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I think Leader Prime is as close as you can get for a consumer based "toy"

Now they probably could make a much more accurate version but it would cost a fortune. He has probably 10,000 moving parts in his transformation!

Ironhide and Ratchet looked pretty close.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

From what I can tell:

Blackout has a very similar transformation. His legs are made up of the under belly of the copter, the arms come out the sides and the tail of the chopper is part of his/scorponoks back.

SS has a similar layout, arms at the sides, legs underneath, cockpit chest with the majority of the plane folding in half.

Ironhide is also pretty close, arms come out the sides of the truck, legs are from the bed, head comes from cab/hood of the truck.

Jazz, from what I can see, again relatively similar. Arms are from the front end, legs from the rear of the car, body from the middle portion.

Honestly, of what I've seen in the trailers and designs, the only ones who are really off are the Leader Versions of Megs and Prime.

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot...the blades that Black-out use as weapons...they're DEFINITELY not taken off his back! One blink and you will miss it.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Bonecrusher's transformation seems to be very (maybe even the most) movie accurate, but not too sure.

Blackout's is pretty close too.

12. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

Yeah, voyager SS has a TF scheme that is actually backwards and upside down compared to the movie scheme.
    In the film, he basically has the G1 TF scheme - jet's nose folds down onto chest, etc. Main update is that the fuselage sides get pulled out to make him shorter.
    In the voyager toy, the legs come out the front of the fuselage, and he keeps his head by the engines. And the arms ... oh the arms...
    I did a screen cap analysis of the trailer when it came out, but I can't seem to find the "search" function up top any more...??