Transformation Gimmicks

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Prime Jetscream, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Another activity thread from yours truly.

Anyway, the point is you just post what effects that transformations give that you like, such as the visual appearance of size changing.

My personal favorite is either VERY obvious size changing, or the appearance of a slender toy turning into a chunky vehicle, like on Cyberverse Evac.

EDIT: DAAAAANG! Can a mod move this to the toy forum?

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Lockdown syndrome FTW!

3. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

When the overall color scheme changes. For example, ROTF Breakdown- his vehicle mode has pretty much no blue, while his robot form is about 1/2 blue.

4. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Compact transformations that involve more than extending parts (looking at Lockdown.) RTS Jazz and HFTD Terradive are two examples of wonderfully compact altmodes; the former, a small car, and the latter, a flat jet, that both transform into tall and proportionate robot modes.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple but accomplishes a lot

6. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Cheats, yeah I said it :p 

7. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I really like Knock Out in the sense that his alt mode is incredibly small, as thousands have complained about, but his robot mode is taller than Bumblebee, whose car mode is much bigger.

8. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Agreed.

Other figures with some faux mass shifting effects that I've noticed include:

WFC Megatron - chunky vehicle mode and pretty lean (yet menacing) bot mode
    FE Starscream - Jet mode is tiny and robot mode is towering albeit stick thin.

9. romXXII

romXXII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FE Bulkhead's mass-shifting illusion. He goes from smaller than his Animated version's alt-mode, to a decently-sized, very wide robot mode.

I also like kibble-free transformations, or at least those that don't leave giant backpacks hanging.

10. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    I know! RID Bulkhead also does this.

Also in the latter paragraph, I suppose you're speaking of RID Vehicon?

11. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    Do you mean Ironhide? Because I can't find any info on ANY Breakdown from any movie.

EDIT: Nevermind, his name is Brakedown.

12. romXXII

News Credits:
    Yes, definitely RID Vehicon. It's really the shifting of all the alt-mode mass to limbs and bodyparts that really gets me juices flowing. FE Prime, while sporting a backpack, manages to pull off the same trick with the wraparound chest. And of course, FE Bulk, goes without saying.

Oh, and I also like complex transformations. While I hate all things Bayformers-related, I can't help but admire the engineering that went into some of the ROTF toys. That Leader Prime is goddamned plastic origami.

13. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    So glad I have that Optimus.

FE Cliffjumper as well has minimal kibble.

The thing that bothers me about kibble is that they take the harder path when adding kibble, when they should use the parts to contribute to the robot.

14. romXXII

News Credits:
    actually, it's the easier path, engineering wise. Instead of turning part A into limb B, you're just moving it out of the way to reveal the more show-accurate robot parts underneath.

15. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

I like it when the robots actually use many parts of the actual vehicle mode, whether it be for a weapon, or just on the actual robot. One reason I hate DOTM Roadbuster and Topsin is because most of the car hangs of on their back. An example of using the parts of a vehicle as a weapon could be Animated Wreck-Gar with Dump Truck Arms, or DOTM Megatron using part of the gas tank as a Fusion Cannon.

16. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

Seconded. One example that comes to mind is PRIME RiD Ratchet's arms being made of folded vehicle panels.

17. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I really like it when you can't tell what's gonna be what without transforming it at lease once. Especially when pieces like the chest aren't already there, but have to be formed. Some examples are FE Bumblebee, PRID Wheeljack, PRID Knock Out, and Generations Kup.

They all have very nice torsos, but they all "come together" if you will. Bee's front bumper goes on the side, the middle of the hood does the whole rotatey thing, the flap comes up, and the chest is formed.

Wheeljack's shoulders rotate up and the car roof comes down onto the waist which also comes down and it all clicks together

Knockout's front bumpers slide onto the hood, and the middle of the hood pops out a little and connects to the back

And Kup's mid torso does the flip and then the truck headlights spring into place.

They all look so nice. Except for the mistransformed "saggy man-boobies" on Knock Out's product shots >.>

18. Jackwave

Jackwave Relinquish thy visage

I like transforming gimmicks that allow transformations to work in more than one way. I like when you're able to pose arm panels and kibble to make them more manageable or incorporate them into the design better. Most of the RotF figures and the Mech Alive gimmick were really cool. They had a lot of little details that at best made the toy look better, and at worst, they really didn't affect its appearance and design.

19. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I know if can sometimes limit toys but I like it when the weapons are intergrated into vehicle mode and/or into the transformation. While I like the general idea of the Mechtech weapons, I don't think having great big weapons that sit on a car look very good.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I love Transformations that feel like they could totally do it mid-battle. The toys are all legit puzzles but some of them I can just imagine the character running while deplying his legs while the rest of the body continues transforming but he's already running. I love that.

That's right I imagine cool scenes with my toys, blame me for actualy PLAYING WITH THEM jeez.