Transformation Cheats and Inexplicable Occurrences

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

• I recall watching the special features for the first Transformers film on BluRay Disc. In it, one of the ILM animators explained how certain liberties were taken in order to make the transformations symmetrical. For example, if a particular part of a car became part of one of the robots' legs, but there was only one of that part in the car, they'd double it for the sake of symmetry. So, I guess you could call this cheating. What do you guys think of this? Also, do you think the robots could still look as cool if these liberties were not taken (i.e. if they weren't symmetrical)?
    • What do you think of inexplicable things such as weapons appearing out of nowhere? For example, where does Sentinel's shield and sword come from? Also, is the lance (double-blade sword) that he wield's in the final battle the single-edged sword that he has earlier in the film?
    • Even though Michael Bay said that there's no mass-shifting in these films, aside from the ALLspark, I think a few instances of transformations could count as mass-shifting. For example, how does Ironhide's cannon's fit into his arms when they're not exposed? Watch the first film and pay attention to the moment when his cannons are shown coming out of his arms for the first time. Also, when Laserbeak transforms in the third film, it appears that there's a bit of mass-shifting (IMO). When he turns into the pink Bumblebee, it seems as if the parts just come out of his body, but there's no way they'd fit in there.

My intention is not to make the films look bad, I simply think it's a bit fun to think and talk about these things.

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Those are easy to explain;

Michael Bay

3. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

The pink Bumblebee parts coming out of Laserbeak always bothered me. I understand you, it's so weird how the parts start forming all of a sudden on his arms, legs, chest and face. There was no way those parts could fit inside him. In fact, how is he even able to turn into a mini Bumblebee? Since his color is grey, how do the Bumblebee parts turn pink? When does he ever scan Bumblebee? Lots of questions that don't have a logical and reasonable answer. As for Ironhide's cannons, I think the whole cannon just folds up in one circular part. Since the cannon is round, the parts of the cannon can fold inside themselves and form a smaller piece (like a very thick disc-shaped piece) with the same mass, and that would fit somewhere inside Ironhide.

4. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

if they werent symetrical then one side would weigh more than the other, maybe even causing a limp.

i agree but not all weapons are like that.

i agree with you when it comes to ironhides weapons but im sure that when laserbeak transforms into something, the metal bits are probably thin. like when he turns into the photocopier, the inside is pretty much hollow.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Laserbeak doesn't mass shift, he trans-scans. He adopts a new alternate mode and generates the parts needed to assume such a form. Like Bumblebee and Frenzy he can just change them on the fly whenever he needs a new one.

6. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime's Primax blade is like a piece of paper; it folds at the hilt.
    Watch his toy reviews for more info

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I don't bother it much 'cause I always had my fanon theory that Energon can bend metal as it pleases, as in, increasing or lowering the size and mass of one chunk of metal [there are limits, though], perhaps using nanotechnology, even.

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:

• It wouldn't bother me. I love asymmetrical designs.
      This doesn't bother me at all. I actually like it. At first glance, they are completly unarmed, then WHAMMO!
    Because Laserbeak. That's why.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:

• Give a specific example
      A: Robin's laugh in Young Justice - YouTube
      B: He could have either:
      - Stolen the shield and have a foldable sword
      - He also has that giant cape
      Ironhide - They fold up covering his arms
      Lazerbeak - It's not mass shifting, it's "I always have a different alt/beast/whatever mode syndrome!"

Yeah, because it's fun to make discuss someones mistakes.....

10. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

I was watching ROTF yesterday and watched Bumblebee's transformation in the junkyard frame-by-frame. I was paying close attention to the yellow parts on his upper arms, for they're always just built into his arms in the toys and made me wonder where they actually fit into his car mode in the movies.
    [​IMG]
    So I was paying attention to where those parts went in his car mode, then suddenly, a few frames before his arms shifted to the inside of his vehicle mode, those parts on his arms dissapeared into thin air. Now it's kinda dissapointing to know that those parts were a cheat the whole time :(  At least it makes the toys more accurate though.

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:

• I don't understand this... every vehicle in the movie was symmetrical along the exterior. In other words, the bulk of these vehicles have the same parts on both sides of the axis (again, I'm referring mostly to the exterior of the vehicles). So the "parts that became legs" existed on both sides of the vehicle.

Now are we talking little interior pieces that would be a small part of a leg in robot mode? Ok, yeah I can doubling those up just to save time on modeling. Most of these probably aren't even seen in robot mode. It's hardly a "cheat".

12. r6680jc

r6680jc Well-Known Member

About the size changing, we know that it doesn't require mass shifting to change the size.