Heavy/Scratch: Transformable Kre-O Ultimate Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by megatroptimus, Sep 28, 2012.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    ***10/11/12 revisions on page 2***

After checking some recent non-transformable Kre-O Optimus Prime customs, I decided I wasn't completely happy with certain aspects of my transformable version, namely the unsightly blue doors on the upper arms in robot mode and how the cab didn't look finished in truck mode. So I removed the blue doors, made them red, put them on hinges and filled out the cab with more hinged parts. Also redesigned the back legs a bit and because of the new transformation, I've been able to free up the hands (they used to have a red square underneath that was facing out in truck mode to hide them, but now the hinges and doors cover them). As a result, both the robot mode and the truck mode look cleaner. Still a hell of a monster.

Revised robot mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The doors now are sandwiched in the backpack

[​IMG]

WEAPON

His gun transforms into his hitch part for truck mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRUCK MODE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post pictures of Optimus combined with his trailer soon.

(PS: This project is an evolution of this design. Basically, echotransformer's version has the backpack in the same position as for truck mode, just facing rear and farther from the body. On my version the backback turns around 180 degrees and then flip up another 180 degrees to face front, toward and closer to the body. The front wheels then fold forward on both sides of the waist to prevent the assembly from rotating, which is locked anyway with another hinge that grabs the bumper. Most body parts ended up being redesigned later, but as you can see, his design is truly the basis of this custom. I will post a transformation video soon, that will probably be easier to understand.)

Attached Files:

2. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

ohh cant wait for truck mode!

i love the legs but i cant put my finger on why, i just like them

3. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Particularly proud of how the rear fenders swing in and around to form the knee guards. Totally happened by accident!

4. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Impressive!

5. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Updated the first post with truck mode pictures.

Btw, I just fixed the front grill to make it symmetrical and all silver (change not shown in the pictures).

6. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

Genius!

7. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Waiting for the glue to dry to strenghten some components... These are pretty critical as they secure the cab together in 4 different places.

[​IMG]

8. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    With the trailer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revised cab alone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mid-transformation...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super mode...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    Wow- that's pretty cool! Love to see a video on this guy. I wish I had the skillz to do something like this!

10. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Some more revisions to the trailer... Most of them are cosmetic (swapped a lot of grey parts for red and black to give the trailer a more unified color scheme), but also:

-added stabilizers that prevent the trailer halves from rotating (you can see them on the wrists in super mode)
    -added stabilizers that help support the backpack in super mode (seen on the back)
    -revised thumbs (now all 3 claws are identical).
    -rear braking lights
    -fold down bar with more lights on the rear
    -lenghtened wrists blasters that also make the trailer more level
    -revised smokestacks on Prime
    -super mode arms shorted by one nub

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    A few updates:

-reworked chest struts that now help complete the cab in truck mode with red plates (barely visible on robot mode) that rotate out and down

-reworked hitch gun (I went for a more aggressive look)

-newly integrated dual-barrel weapon on the left arm (folds in for transformation)

-longer smokestacks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent like 10 hours trying to figure how to integrate additional weapons and that was my only option. And really happy with the chest mod, I found out I could rotate the struts by accident because of the bricks I initially chose. Pure luck.

I also spent several hours (probably another 10) trying to figure out how to compress the backpack even more but there's no way to do it. I'm still perfectly happy with the current look, I was just being too finicky. :) 

I will now try to add some more weaponry on the trailer for the super mode. Maybe a big gun and a sword or two that would either fold under the trailer or just store under it.

12. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Just to show the evolution.

From this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cab is more closed right now, the upper arms (rear of the cab) can't be placed perfectly perpendicular to the ground, so it's impossible to close it more there. I thought about adding hinged panels that would have covered the rear bottom part but they were impossible to align. So the chest struts with the "wings" on them were the best compromise I could do. Plus, they support the upper torso better in robot, so that's a plus.

Rear view showing how busy is the area... You can see the chest struts rotate out on both sides and also a bit of the left arm dual-barrel cannon underneath... that's all the room I had from the beginning! In the middle you can see the hinged clip that secures the backpack at the bumper in robot mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Some more revisions to the cab:

-redesigned upper arms
    -slightly revised roof (more red + yellow lights)
    -revised hitch gun (clear lights)
    -redesigned cab sides/doors (doors can't open anymore - there was nothing to see inside the cab anyway, not enough space - but now they sit more forward and down, which allow them to be compressed more inside the backpack)
    -newly integrated shoulder cannons (can't believe I found the space for that AND to have them deploy in the proper direction - they're double hinged - again, pure luck)

What's funny about the shoulder cannons is that before, the shoulder flaps were hinged for no practical reason, but now the fact that they can fold up to gives the necessary clearance to unfold the shoulder cannons without interfering with the chest struts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]