Transform DW upgrade for Combiner Wars Defensor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Apr 17, 2016.

1. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    Yeah most of the set is for UW but the chest piece is painted and to me looks like its in between color. the different colors adds a little more definition to the over all look. Also you dont really need to add the side leg pieces. there their mostly for aesthetics and symetry

2. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm torn on this one. Can't wait to see some video.

3. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw wotafa's review earlier... and... eh... seems like a mixed bag.

If you're fine with what's basically an Action Master, he works.

But otherwise... the thing's such a mess in all other modes. A huge amount of stuff is solely for Combiner mode. The other bits make for even more comically oversized weapons than the PE hands/feet wound up being. The set is clearly for Onslaught, because once you put just the minimal addon bits to Hot Spot... he's less of a Fire Truck, more of a murder death machine that I suppose has a fire hose to clean his mess up? If you put ALL the combiner bits as storage... it's a "cybertronian" armored truck.

The two things I would give it props would be that it doesn't look too shabby in the final combined mode (so again, if that's all you want, I can see this being good)... and that it adds a very nice waist swivel bit to Hotspot for bot and combiner mode. Truth be told, if someone sold just that one bit, I'd be kind of interested. (Well, that and a new ladder that wouldn't lock a potential waist swivel, as the stock one has to do.)

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it usable with just the chestplate and everything else in the official configuration?

I think you're talking about the C+ Defensor add on kit, not the Dream Wave kit this thread is for. I dont see the DW one on wotafa's channel

5. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    the new waist piece gets in the way of the old chest other wise you'd be able to use both. Im sure you can do a small mod to the waist piece to accommodate it.

if you want to just use the chess piece you can. pretty much every piece in this set is its own thing if i had another Hotspot i would show off all the other configurations you could do

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    the pieces just slide of and are held in by friction i do wish they where a little bit sturdier but it works.

Attached Files:

7. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    this is where this set is all gravy. while there hands to guns are small there well detailed and have a unique transformation. (just something different then what we've seen so far) and the feet have multiple configurations even one that recreates the double barrel gun behind the cars. a cool addition is how the crotch plate turns into a hand cannon. i think this set is slightly better then the PE set except for the issue ive with the post not fitting into the ports (and cracking Groves Port)

this set had a lot of promise sadly it just falls short. if you want a set that works decent in all forms this set might be for you. but if your looking for just a display piece then the C+ might be the way to go

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. gnguye3

gnguye3 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting pics. I ended up ordering it from TFSource. I've been waiting to ship my stack once this set released, but wasn't really sure if I wanted to buy it. I do like the price point of this set vs the C+. Additionally, this set is well rounded vs the C+ only looking good in combined mode. That C+ combined mode looks godly and cool, but at twice the cost of this, I'll pass.

That said, Defensor looks so gimp without an upgrade kit -- thick thighs and stubby. :( 

• Like Like x 2
  9. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    Just remember not to force anything hope you like it as much as i do. Also you might use some super glue to tighten the hold on some pieces

• Like Like x 1
  10. servatusprime

servatusprime Chug Chuga Choo Choo

Thank you for all the photos. If I could keep the standard chest piece but use the new hip skirt I think that would be ideal for me. Too bad about the colors not matching CW Hot Spot.

How much of a mod would it take to keep the chest but use the new hip skirt? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    you would have to trim the front of the waist by a centimeter back. or just not install the waist at all. you could lower it too but that would effect the crotch plate going on. sadly my waist is already installed and i fear the tabs that hold it in place would break other wise i would try

• Like Like x 1
  12. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

You guys REALLY need to start using a hairdryer and fine grit sandpaper when you install or remove parts on these figures. If you did, you wouldn't have to worry NEARLY AS MUCH about breaking parts or stressing the pieces. SERIOUSLY...and here's why:

1) The sandpaper is for LIGHTLY sanding down ball joints that would otherwise be too tight. Same thing for extraneous parts with similar clearance issues or snapping into place.

2) The hairdryer should be used to heat up the super tight and questionable pieces. Turn the hairdryer on high for 30-60 seconds ONLY! Aim it at the piece in question. This will SLIGHTLY, IN A NON-DAMAGING WAY, soften the plastic JUST ENOUGH to more easily pop things into place (or OUT!) WITHOUT a high risk of breaking anything. You still have to be careful, as it is not fool proof, but it GREATLY reduces the risk of breakage without damaging the figure or parts.

With over tight ball joints, for example, you might have to do a little bit of light sanding BEFORE popping into place, but the stem can be fragile if the socket is too tight. SO, AS A PRECAUTION, you would heat the socket with the hairdryer for several seconds to soften the plastic JUST ENOUGH so that the ball will more easily pop into place without breaking the stem. If it's still too tight and needs to be removed, same process, just heat it and pop it out gently as possible.

This is much easier and safer for both you and your figures than the boiling water method, which also actually makes your plastic more brittle.

Hopefully, this will help you guys in the future. If there's a place to post useful information like this, anyone is welcome to repost this appropriately.

• Like Like x 1
  13. servatusprime

Can you just do the crotch plate only and keep the original chest? That was really my only complaint about Defensor design wise. Well and his puny guns too I suppose...

14. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    there shouldn't be a problem doing so. Like i said before each section is its own thing IE chest, waist and crotch. if you look at the pics that i uploaded earlier you can see how there all separate and no one item needs a another section to work properly. I would show but as stated above a hair dryer or gun is required to safely remove the waist sections and we have neither one of those in our house hold

again hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  15. servatusprime

Sure does. Just need to decide how badly I want buy this kit! Thanks.

16. Stokerholme

Stokerholme Blestforce

My set came in the mail while I was at a convention yesterday, so I didn't open it up until this morning.

I am... hesitant to start opening up my Hot Spot to do the leg replacements. I'm considering picking up a second Hot Spot to be the guinea pig. I also don't feel I'll use the chest piece since (and I may be the minority here) I LIKE Groove as a chest piece, and Rook as a limb.

But the real problem I'm having is peg tolerances. It seems like every peg for each hand and foot is too large to fit in the appropriate slot on the limb figures. I don't think it's just me, as another forum user mentioned cracking his Deluxe Groove's peghole when forcing the foot in. It sounds like I'll have to invest in some fine-grit sandpaper (since I've apparently lost my modelling files, and those aren't ideal for pegs anyway).

I think what surprised me the most about this kit, given what I've seen from the pictures, is that the ladder-wrap-around torso transformation for Hot Spot is unchanged. Installing the new chest involves removing the stock left-and-right chest flaps and sliding a piece over that section, but otherwise the transformation steps are identical (once slid on, the new chest piece seems to be designed to just stay there the way it does on the stock figure).

Still, the concept for how the hands and feet transform are still good, even if the fit and finish isn't perfect out of the box. I prefer how the feet work in particular compared to PE's feet. Once I get those tolerances where I want them, I'll definitely be using them...providing I don't have stability issues with them...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    For anyone that has this, is the installation any different than the Bruticus one? I mean, I'm sure the thighs, hands, feet (which are all the same parts) all work out the same, but is there anything tricky or worth knowing before trying to install the Defensor kit if I've watched @Coldiron's video review about installing the Bruticus one?

18. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    its probably a bit easier most pieces just slide on. the legs are the hardest part to put on in all honesty the second would be the waist area and thats just making sure you put it in the right rung. most importantly is dont force any thing. if any piece gives you problems go back a few pages from here posts from here and there should be plenty of info and pics to help you through the process

hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  19. gnguye3

gnguye3 Well-Known Member

Just got mine today.

The install wasn't too bad. It was a little tricky and confusing as to which orientation some of the things go, but I got it right... I think. I had to shave off some of the pegs for the hands and feet. The tolerances of this kit are kind of Meh. Also, I believe the legs are supposed to peg into the ladder, but that doesn't seem to line up on mine. The new head isn't my favorite, but it feels better proportioned with his new size.

Overall, it's not a bad kit. It does give Defensor the much needed upgrade and looks way better than before. If only the C+ kit was for Combiner Wars and cheaper!

20. is456

is456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HELP ME, it is not match, I can not put to inside. someone can tell me how do work?

Attached Files: