Transform DW Combiner Wars Bruticus Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I got the set, but like I said before, I'm messing around with the stock UW Bruticus first. I should really take pictures of them, especially after setting up a folder in my Deviant Art gallery to hold my collection pictures. :p 

I have looked at the new feet, and yeah. That peg does sit angled a little more forward than it should. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried taking out the ratchet in there?

Definitely keeping the stock Bruticus head on, though. The new head is suitably fearsome, but the stock head looks better and more like Bruticus. (I wonder why? :lol  )

2. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    Surprisingly, it took me 3 hours to put it together. This is mainly due to the horrible instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

I have. The are setup like the side-to-side hip ratchets on Onslaught/Hotspot, and are therefore impossible to adjust.

4. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    To fix the leaning waist issue, you can just take the waist of Bruticus and have him lean a bit back using the squeaky Onslaught knee joints.

5. DBarricade

Hm, I'll have to see when I attempt to put the set on. I guess I'll dig out a test figure for the pegs, something I don't care about if it gets damaged.

6. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    I just looked at the prototype layout pictures of the tdw set and realized that they had quite a few changes with the leg pieces, which might have been a small reason as to why this set took forever to be released.

7. Initial_G

Initial_G Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone able to post a some pics of the upgraded Bruticus with TT/Hasbro Combiner Wars Devi. I'm interested to see how they look together

8. Galva101

Galva101 New Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I created an account just to answer you :)  the images are attached at the bottom. The kit arrived today and I am very happy with it, I had no issues while installing the legs, although it was a bit painful to break the thighs apart. I really like the look of these two figures together, they are a great display piece!
    20170501_144848.jpg 20170501_144956.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  9. Initial_G

Initial_G Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi @Galva101 thx for making the effort, really appreciated :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pfg80

Pfg80 Dinobot

News Credits:
    That's how it starts. Welcome and nice pics.

• Like Like x 1
  11. is456

is456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my new pic to show everyone.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. DBarricade

I've just today sanded down the pegs for the feet on the set. Luckily, CW/UW Bruticus offers the perfect guinea pigs to test fit without risking damage to the Combaticons themselves in the form of Swindle and Brawl's HFGs, as those have a 5 mm port on the underside just like Rook's. The feet fit just fine on Swindle and Brawl, and the HFGs still attach as snugly as before, so I know I've not broken them. The hands feel a bit weird with all their hinges, but at least they hold a 5 mm weapon fine. (they won't work with CW Shockwave's peg/grip or the Dr. Killinger guns that use Shockwave's peg/grip as a base for their own. Shame too as I was considering tracking down a CW Shockwave to go with Bruticus)

I admit, I almost want an extra UW Onslaught for his legs so I can have an undamaged stock set just in case. I probably won't use the cannon extensions because they look silly plugged into the barrels of the stock guns, and the stock ones really don't look bad as they are. (it probably helps that the UW guns have painted barrels)

13. DBarricade

Okay. Most of the kit on.

The legs are a pain in the butt to get on. Quite a tight fit getting them onto the bars the old legs were on, and there's not a lot of room to do it. I managed to preserve the little peg in one knee, but snapped the other one. It matters little, as I think you'll want a bit of the flexibility provided by not having that peg in there.

Combined mode looks a lot better. Bruticus becomes much more proportionate, and the tabs on the new crotch plate lock the old hips in place. I do wish the abdomen piece locked in too. He kind of needs the chest shield covers so his crotch isn't the part that sticks out the furthest, but the central parts don't look as nice as the stock chest on UW Bruticus. It's also easier to leave the new parts off if you intend to take him out of combined mode often.

Onslaught though... Yikes. Robot mode is okay, but the new crotch piece sticks out on his back and makes him lean back on his hips that were about the only real problem with the mold for a retail combiner. I think you're also supposed to use the combined mode's outward hips for Onslaught's knees, and those really could have used more ratcheting points.

The vehicle mode is where it kind of falls apart, though. The new upper legs don't allow the lower legs to reach the slots on the bottom of Onslaught's crotch to keep them from moving, (which also means Onslaught's hips now affect things) and sit slightly higher so the wheels have difficulty reaching the ground quite right. And the giant combiner crotch is still there.

I guess I'll stick the rest of the set on Bruticus for luls and snap some pictures to sate some people's curiosity. @Beastwarsfan95, were you curious about this? I can't remember. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Optimus.Magnus

Optimus.Magnus Swingin' the chain

This set was absurdly frustrating for me. For one, Onslaught's new legs did not match the instructions and were not precisely symmetrical, so that threw me off a bit and turned it into a puzzle game. I must have assembled and disassembled his legs 4 times. The ratchets on Bruticus' new feet force him to stoop forward, ironically recreating the same stoop the stock hips used to. Like many others here, I had issue with the pegs not inserting into Brawl and Swindle. A little sanding allowed them to at least insert, but I inexplicably have the issue where, due to the hexagonal port on both figures, these feet want to "snap" into a pigeon-toed stance. I did not have this issue with Perfect Effect, despite dealing with the same holes.

Onslaught's new legs are a PITA to lock into place in either bot more or combined mode. I get it to line up 1 out of 10 attempts it seems. Given that installation required breaking a tab and glue from the stock parts, I've found that transforming the legs causes a visible spreading of those same parts each time. I considered crazy gluing it back together, but then I would be able to install the new tabs on the new legs into the stock shins!

Also, there's a small notch/tab on Onslaught's stock lower leg that keeps Bruticus from standing straight up and forces him into a wide A-stance. I found that after 3-4 hours of working on this thing, and by the end, I was so irritated about the assembly and his inability to stand up straight, I cut the tab off so he could at least stand upright. There's no way I'm going to regret that later. (I figure I could grab a cheap replacement from Marshalls if need be). He still leans against my shelf in order to stay up.

This kit looks awesome from a distance, but it is not fun to work with in any way. Any sort of nudging, jostling or handling causes parts to misalign or causes Bruticus to collapse altogether, as the stock combiner joints are far weaker than the newly installed parts. Even though my collection is used for display, the sheer amount of frustration and lack of fun makes me look at it with a bitter taste in my mouth.

15. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks ok as a whole but not a fan of all the extra kibble. The only thing that really appeals to me about this kit is the hands, I'm quite happy with the stock figure.

Attached Files:

16. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i don't like the cw feet, they're just to tiny

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok maybe some new feet would be nice too :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Yes I was! :lol 

19. DBarricade

Right. Went ahead and stuck the rest of the kit on. Never noticed that the new head has an extra joint in it to let him look down. That said, it's not really secure, and sliding the head back will cause it to become bobble-head loose. The ankle ratchets can be cheated, though I don't know what it is exactly that's going on that's letting me do that. I'll probably take a screwdriver to one and see what's up.

Expect pics sometime in the next few months years days. :lol 

20. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

After getting PC-10 (KO version) and Steam Shield's Port extenders, I feel my Bruticus is now completed:
    [​IMG]

Note: That's Generation Toy's Gravity Builder/Devastator behind Bruticus, if anyone was curious.

• Like Like x 5