Transform DW Combiner Wars Bruticus Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Thanks for those pics, would you be able to post some side profile and rear profile pics? I'm trying to see how cohesively that new crotch plate blends in with the waist...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Illumina Weasel

Illumina Weasel Member

I got mine last night and have been playing around for it a bit today, figured I'd give some first impressions.

I haven't installed the new leg parts, since the amount of disassembly is beyond what I'm comfortable with. Nor did I bother with the thigh bits since they're a bit pointless without the new leg parts installed.

The new crotch armor still looks decent without the new legs, but it either needs to either be angled outwards a bit (which isn't too bad) or you'll need to remove the tabs that plug into the new legs.

The gun extensions and new head are nice. The extensions are a bit tight to get on, but there's little reason to take them off afterwards. Painting your guns silver first would make it look really snazzy, I'd think. Head doesn't stay on as well as the stock one, but should be fine unless you pick him up by the head (as I had a nasty habit of doing with the stock head).

The new chest plate can technically always be left on, but it makes getting the arms on and off a pain in ze butt. It also kinda sucks for Onslaught's robot mode, since the backpack folds up relatively cleanly with it off, but is much messier with them still on. Looks perfectly acceptable for alt mode. Sadly the pegs that join the chest front to the wings are smaller that 5mm, meaning you can't really use them as silly hand-held Gatling guns.

The hands have a peg that is slightly too large, but fits fine after a little shaving. Gun mode is way more convincing than PE's - in addition to folding the fingers around, swinging the thumb 180 and moving the knuckle guns back makes something that actually looks kinda gun-like (for the crowd that thinks guns should have 24 barrels, anyways). The finger articulation is great - they have ranges fairly similar to human fingers, so I've had little problem getting him to do any gesture I've tried after a bit of fiddling.

Feet... are a bit of a miss, sadly. The pegs on them are WAY too large, and I spent a good deal of time making them small enough not to stress the regular 5mm ports too badly. Then I went back and thickened them a hair as there seemed to be just a bit too much play, especially once the three sets of ratchets were considered (the actual ankle ratchet seems solid, though). I really dig the shield and gun modes for the feet, but it is hard to get anyone to hold the shield very naturally due to the ankle peg only being accessible when nearly perpendicular to the shield (and it's a bit big to wield buckler-style). I'm also not sure if the ratchet is even worth it since it really only has 1 click before you start colliding into the leg parts.

If you really want, you can lift the side panels on the feet to free up a toe joint. It's not stiff enough to seriously use, but it doesn't look too bad - the double-gun piece even works as a heel spur in this case, meaning it wouldn't be too unstable if you really want to tighten that pin.

All-in-all, seems like a decent value for $45.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BrutiKing

BrutiKing I is a Bruticus fan

Do you have a pic of what it looks like without the leg upgrades?

4. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

The alt-mode for Onslaught is inexcusably terrible, made worse by the molds already shitty leg engineering. Hell, the alt-mode configuration warps the plastic and makes the vehicle unable to lay flat (even if it could).

As for my general thoughts:

"I want to slap the person who thought split pegs on one-sided, skinny-ass bars for the new inner leg joints was a good idea...along with making all the plastic non-POM AND far too tight."

"Why are the feet kind of junk and why are all the pegs far too thick? Why couldn't they have added some ports to them for storage options instead of a Decepticon symbol patch that I guarantee no one will ever use?"

"The hands are okayish. I really could have used something 10% larger and fingers that did something to tab together for gun mode. Also, the back-of-the-hand guns are a bit warped."

"Why does the blue girdle not secure anywhere?"

"Why the hell does the crotch plate NOT allow the original parts to tab all the way in for alt-mode? With the legs being what they are now, it needs all the help it can get."

"Every.
    Single.
    Ratchet.
    Is.
    GARBAGE."

"This head is nice but the face sculpt isn't really Bruticus...at all. It's like a TR Leader gimmick except there's a generic, Chinese knockoff Titanmaster sitting where the Bruticus one should be."

I love some of the aesthetics and engineering ideas but By The Matrix, this probably needed another 6 months of QC before this thing got shipped out. I don't care that it's 50 dollars: the engineering ideas are too competent to explain why the assembly is this poor.

As for partsforming, I'm already reworking multiple parts of this kit to allow a lot of the bulk to store with Blast-Off (like a set of Macross FASTPacks).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Illumina Weasel

Illumina Weasel Member

Legs clicked back once for stability:
    20170420_124742.jpg 20170420_124811.jpg

Stock straight:
    20170420_125059.jpg 20170420_125120.jpg

Horrible phone pics that seem to have uploaded sideways, but should give you an idea.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MarinerPrime

7. TFKaiser

TFKaiser Commander

Ebay:

• Like Like x 1
  8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Please share whatever you succeed with using Blastoff. That idea seems very fun.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrutiKing

Finally! Ages Three and Up has the kit in stock. Now, just need to wait for them to ship it. :/ Maybe 1 more week to go.

10. MrZurkon

MrZurkon Well-Known Member

Got mine in the mail yesterday, hopefully I can work on it sometime today.

11. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Mine's sitting in the mail with my UW Bruticus. I'll mess with the stock Bruticus first and see if the Combaticons are fine before I go breaking Onslaught's knee pegs. (or shoving the new feet on Swindle and Brawl)

It'd probably be a lot easier if the feet on the mold weren't pinned/riveted in. Without that, one could take the lower legs apart entirely, and maybe not break that peg.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cire87

cire87 Well-Known Member

So, I bought 2 of these kits, one for my UW and one for my CW and I gotta say it looks WAY better on UW than on the CW. I took off the kits from my CW one and decided to put the hand and feet on Victorion. Boy was I surprised on how amazing they look on her BUT also disappointed that she couldn't hold her sword with the hands.

13. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pics on victorion?

14. Illumina Weasel

Illumina Weasel Member

Had some spare time at work yesterday. Bruticus made a friend!
    Brut1.jpg brut2.jpg

The feet hold up much better on my desk at work than the kitchen table.

15. cire87

cire87 Well-Known Member

Here as requested
    20170422_092252.jpg

Here's a picture of Victorion and UW Bruticus.
    20170422_092025.jpg

One of my kits was missing a thumb SO I decided to improvise on Bruticus.
    As I said, she is unable to hold her sword with these hands which is kind of a bummer but oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
    My offer still stands for anyone selling the Bruticus or Defensor hands/feet! They're looking soo good from these shots.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MarinerPrime

They look nicer and theoretically separate into better parts for each bot, but the assembly quality is shakey, and you MUST be able to sand the Combiner pegs down on them or you will break your figures.

18. MarinerPrime

I drilled a hole in the opposite side of the rivet to heat up and push that pin, but on this mold it doesn't want to budge more than a mm.

I ended up carving a notch to allow the end of the pin to escape the opposite end once I forced the halves apart. Didn't even stress those pegs, though one of the tiny pegs in the leftover siren lights did break (don't care).

19. is456

is456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi, This is my CW+TDW, they are cool, it is very nice. I like them.

Attached Files:

20. BrutiKing

Finally got it!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1