Heavy/Scratch: Transform, and roll out!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by D_Fool, Apr 30, 2007.

1. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this, but it is custom and it does transform.

I've been working for the last month on a transforming Optimus Prime costume which I'm gonna wear to the premier of the movie. The transformation is based on the cab portion of power master prime. This is not the first costume I've done, I've been building them for a few years.

This is the second transforming costume I've done, the first one being grimlock which turned out fairly well. The costume is built using a material which is kind of like a corrugated plastic. I apologize for the image quality, all I have to take pictures is an old webcam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first two images show a leg and how the knee bends

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body sprawled out on my floor shown with the two legs.

[​IMG]

To transform I pull my arms out of the robot arms and they fold up.

[​IMG]

The arms then pull out from the chest to give room to rotate as well as unlock the shoulder from the body.

[​IMG]

Side shot of the body.

[​IMG]

This last pic is an extremely WIP of the cab mode. At this point I just have the frame built and I plan on spending the next month making everything more structurally sound. I'm also planning on hiding as much of my human parts as I can.

On the sides doors fold out from the back to cover my actual arms. Another piece on the back will fold up and make up the top of the cab. This piece will cover up my head, and will be like the top piece on classics prime.

All in all it's a fairly simple transformation but once finished should create some impressive results.

2. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Oh man thats gonna be badass but...wooh its gonna be quite the load to wear to the movies eh.

For me, I prefer the freedom; nothin beats going to 300 in leather underwear and a war-worn cape :D 

3. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

hahah yeah it's gonna be pretty killer, I figure once I'm in the actual theater, either park it or take it off lol. Oh and I'm also working on getting the wheels to actually roll if someone pushes me when transformed.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

you're really going to sit down in a small theater seat for 2 and half hours, in that thing? :lol  it looks so uncomfortable, it looks nice, but i would so NOT wear that to a movie xD

5. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

Thats going to hurt if you try and transform and roll out

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    That's EXACTLY what it does. It's the entire point of the thing.

Anyway, I see you took my advice on the signboard. Looks great!

7. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Haha, half the fun of going to the premiere is seeing the true diehards dressed up. This looks like an amazing costume, wish I was gonna see it in person.

8. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

Yeah I won't be wearing it in the actual theater. Just in the lineup, I don't think I could fit in a theater seat wearing it.

Hey RandomFerret, yeah good call on the signboard. I'm not sure if I'm gonna cover the open edges where you can see the corrugated part, with anything yet. Have to see how much time I have once I hit the painting stage.

9. BetaSword

BetaSword Well-Known Member

Well, you might Cover it with some elastic fabric, maintaining most of the shape, while not giving you pain.

10. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

you better make a piss hole for it i say?

11. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Few people would really notice the gaps, I would think. A long-sleeved red tee and some blue jeans underneath it would look great.

12. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

Well not so much those gaps, I more meant like the edges of the plastic where you can see like:

-----------------------------
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    -----------------------------

but yeah it probably won't be very noticable, but maybe like some kind of tape or filler along the edges should do the trick, depending on how noticeable it is.

As for going to the bathroom, the top piece is fairly easy to put on and take off, think foot ball pads, so if I have to go it should be easy enough to take off and go. I have had that problem in the past though at the bar at halloween can't drink very much because it was so hard to get in and out of costume, last year was the first year where I designed everything to be easy enough to get in and out of so if I had to go to the bathroom it would only take 2 minutes to take off.

13. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

something to keep in mind is the proportions on the chest.

Nearly every costume I have seen for prime has the chest way too narrow. So you end up with everything else being in proportion, except the windows. The reason this happens is because people want to be able to use their arms and not have them held up in a scarecrow position. But it makes the costume look goofy if you don't.

14. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's my last prime costume, so the proportions will be very similar to this, the windows are a very difficult part to get proportioned right. The trick is to adjust the other proportions of the costumes around this so that you can still get a costume that's comfortable to wear.

15. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

16. zailand

zailand Well-Known Member

You are one of 'em Cosplayer.
    I respect 'em Cosplayer. I respect you.

Great work dude!
    Go to Wikipedia for da meaning of Cosplayer.

17. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

And I thought I was a to big of a T-fan. This really puts my nerddom into perspective!! Still, if I thought I could make one big enough...maybe, oh hell, I want one!!!

18. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Anybody will tell you I'm not a small man.

But god damn did I look awesome in this:

[​IMG]

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Where's the Laser Rifle??

20. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    It was a busy night. The torso had already broken into two pieces, the smokestacks were gone and the autobot logo had fallen off before this picture was taken.

By the end of it, the bumper was gone, the faceplate had come off, and I lost one of the feet. I had army surplus ammo boxes for stilts, so whenever somebody bought me a beer, I'd chug it then crush the bottle underfoot.