Transform and Roll Out Hova (Masterpiece-Style Jazz)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Primeconvoy1, May 27, 2015.

1. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to digress (or to digress - not like we're seeing any more video reviews so may as well kill time) but as a kid I had the first few episodes of Transformers on a VHS that was watched almost to the point of destruction. The Transformers cartoon will always be More Than Meets The Eye for me (I don't even think we saw season 2 in the UK - if we did I'd moved on by then). Now the comic is a different story - I read that from about issue 4 all the way through the movie-based storylines.

Having said that - my fondness for Transformers stemmed mainly from the toys. It was the toys I played with/Transformed/took to friends houses/took to school on toy days; It was the envy of the toys my friends had - my next door neighbour had Optimus Prime - the kid from school who had Soundwave; It was the toys that broke my heart when they broke - Mirage snapping at the waist, a Prowl with the rear windows superglued (by my dad) where they'd snapped in half or Jazz with the windscreen superglued where it meets the bonnet, missing spoiler pieces on Wheeljack; And it was the toys that I remember getting and opening for the first time - opening Bombshell in the car on a journey home from the nearest city, sneaking peeks at a Jetfire that was hidden in my parents wardrobe throughout December one year, just waiting to be opened on Xmas day.

Those are my links to Transformers. The animated series and the comic I loved, but the toys I lived.

Edit: Man, just reading that back to myself brings a tear to the eye. If anyone needs me I'll be sobbing in a corner with G1 Jetfire in my arms.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  2. LeakinLubricant

LeakinLubricant Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's all about options and we're very lucky to have a Jazz for everyone at this time, we have Zetas for the toy fans, MakeToys for the toon fans and now TnR for the people (like me) who want that subtle blend of toy and toon that we first saw with MP-10.

It's clear that the toon approach is considered to be more popular, personally I hate it but I'm not going to make a big deal about especially when there are still companies out there continuing the aesthetic set by MP-10, like TnR and X-Transbots.

• Like Like x 3
  3. LeakinLubricant

Ebay:
    This all day long, it must be a UK thing, I'd also don't care for much beyond S1, and it was the toys and the UK comic that made me a fan, I think that's why I care more for the older MP'S because that have the basic look of the toon character yet have lots of little nods to the toys, right down to some of the transformation steps. When I fold out MP-10's arms in truck mode I could be holding the G1, same when I flip back MP-08's Dino head or MP-13's leg transformation. The nostalgic feeling is not just visual it's also tactile.

Anyway back on topic who's ordered Hova then?

• Like Like x 4
  4. CyberRat

CyberRat Well-Known Member

Yea I gotta say a mix of the look toy and toon seems to be more of the sweet spot for most. Obviously a lot of people like full toon, but you get a lot others think that look is too basic and plain, meaning they want some of that extra detail typically the toys had. I think because Hova looks like a good mix of the two, people are interested in this figure and are hoping it's going to be a good addition to the choices of Jazz.

I'm hoping the reviews are good on this guy because I really like both this and Downbeat for different reasons. (If they ever made a Downbeat with this type of detailing I'd be all over that)

• Like Like x 3
  5. fearthehoss75

fearthehoss75 Well-Known Member

Anyone have this guy in hand yet?

6. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is what it's all about a community coming together to talk likes dislikes, no disrespect just great discussion, this is why this forum exist. I do love all the awesome ode of the toy stickers from g1, it's never been a make or break but it is nice espc when spelled correctly

• Like Like x 3
  7. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tempted to get this, but I don't want to buy it and then Takara announces their JAZZ

• Like Like x 1
  8. LeakinLubricant

Ebay:
    My gut says the Takaras will have more of a resemblance to Downbeat than this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thing really shines in full toy config. Shoulder wheels FTW!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

In short: No.

In long: I always have and always will want my toys to push the envelope in terms of detailing, articulation, build quality, playability etc, regardless of whether I saw them on TV or not. You're assuming that people who don't care about toon accuracy want the same thing that people who do care about toon accuracy want, which is their favourite characters replicated exactly as they were when they first saw them. What I want isn't that. I don't want a perfect replication of the old toon, I don't want a perfect replication of the old toy, I don't want a perfect replication of anything. I want the best taken from the old cartoon and the old toys and new stuff that wasn't even thought of back then, and I want it all combined into something better than ever before.

• Like Like x 9
  11. LeakinLubricant

Ebay:
    My understanding of Masterpiece in a nutshell.

• Like Like x 2
  12. redrum2581

Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    or in my case.....as many as you can get

THIS

• Like Like x 4
  13. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    Same for me

I'm going to wait for a few English reviews to decide. I have an MISB Downbeat that I think would scratch the itch for Jazz, but I do like how Hova looks more.

14. tk7261

tk7261 Well-Known Member

Whatever, its people like you that make this forum not fun.

15. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

This, right here. I want the robot mode to resemble the toon character design, but with greater detail like some of the old toys had (MP-13 absolutely NAILED this). More than that, I want the vehicle modes to look like REAL representations of their inspirations. I recently started collecting, but bought the BB7 Skywarp over Maketoys because the alt mode looks like a real damned F-15. The Maketoys alt mod looks like...garbage.

The toon accuracy hurts me because I'm also a car/jet buff and love displaying the alt modes. I have a hard time doing that seriously when the windows are bright blue ;-)

Sad to me that there are plenty of ways to hit the spot for both sides, yet companies seem to want to go full-bore one way or the other instead of meeting in the middle to hit the widest audience spread.

• Like Like x 1
  16. legislative

legislative Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, is it just me. Or is the bodyside not plane in the video? Fender and door look weird. Did the video creator make mistakes during the transformation? What is your opinion here?

• Like Like x 1
  17. redrum2581

Ebay:
    shoulder shrug, i think you might just need thicker skin but you are the 2nd person i've aggravated so maybe i'm a horrible person, but like i said i meant no harm in disagreeing with you, it's a forum we're allowed to have differing opinions, it wasn't a personal attack, i didn't call you names nor disrespect you, no one else on here has taken offense, we all just stated what we like and why, you posted a pic i didnt like i gave my reason why, move on, even at that i apologized to you taken offense, so yeah moving on

fyi there's this nifty feature on here where you can block people and never see what they say, if you feel that bad about how i didn't agree and like your pic than use the feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Tears that soak a callous heart

News Credits:
    Whoa! So this thing happened!?!? Talk about back from the dead. Guess that will be 3 out of 3 MP JAZZES for me (I don't acknowledge j4zz)

• Like Like x 1
  19. redrum2581

Ebay:
    i have J4zz and he's a really fun and nice design being idw mp style, i fully enjoy him and put him over downbeat and tw, i'll see how he compares to T&RO when i have a chance to sit down with both in hand but i understand diff strokes for diff folks, but don't discount a great figure just bcuz he's a 911gtr and not a 935

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 12