Transfering non-copyable save files from one PS3 to another.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My fiance and I are switching PS3s, so I'm moving the slim to the living room, and the fat to the bedroom (hehehe). Anyway, most game saves, I've copied into a USB stick, logged in as myself in the slim, and pasted them in. That works great, but Transformers WFC and Dragon Age are the only games that don't allow for this.

I know there is a backup feature in the PS3, but I don't need to backup the entire thing, I just want to backup saves. Does anyone know if this feature is customizable to select only save files. Also, when I go to the feature, it mentions deactivating the current system. Is there a way to NOT do that?

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No you can not do that yet, the only other thing you can do is hook the PS3 together and use the transfer option. You'll have to deactivate your movie and game account on the FAT PS3.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks, that helps a lot. So do I plug them into eachother with ethernet cable? Also, if I deactivate my fat, can I reactivate it "game share style" but just logging into it myself?

4. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FYI, if you have anything on the slim PS3 it will be erased because the transfer app formats the PS3. Also you will need a thumb USB drive with the lastest firmware on it because after the format you have to update the PS3. Kinda hard to do when you have them hooked together using the Cat5 cable. I have done this and it transfers everything the only thing that didn't make it threw was the Dynamic Themes they showed up as corrupted data.

I might be able to answer any other questions you have as I got a slim for Fathers day this year and did this exact thing.

Yes once you transfer everything over you will have to re-create your account on the old FAT PS3.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not too bad. I just wonder if it's worth the hassle, since the only thing I would be missing is my WFC save and Dragon Age save, and I already beat Dragon Age, and WFC. And I don't mind replaying it. All my videos, games, DLC has already been transfered using a USB and simply redownloading the games with my account.

But if you don't mind answering another question.

We are allowed to have 5 active PS3s. Well one of my friends had my account on his PS3s and he YLOD, so he returned it to Sony, thus losing me one of my slots. My Slim and Fat have my active account, so that means I have 2 floating accounts, but for some reason it says all 5 are filled. What other things count as active? I have a UK account and I have my cousin as a sub account in my PS3. Do these count as active accounts towards my 5?

6. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The system that YLOD you can call Sony and get that one back. I ran into a problem similar to this I tried renting a movie on my brothers PS3 under my account. It took them a day but they were able to deactivate it from one of the other PS3 I had logged into. The sub accounts only count if you download the same game on both. As far as the UK account I don't know because I have no experience with that maybe you could ask Sony.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey man. Just wanted to say thanks. I ran through the process last night without breaking a sweat (even had a long enough cable to reach to the other room). The surprising thing is that when it was all done, my fat was still completely in tact, with all my profiles, games, saves, videos etc etc. The only thing missing, surprisingly, were my Transformers and Dragon Age saves. So basically, it migrated the things I couldn't move manually, and kept everything in tact. Which is perfect, because I didn't want it wiped, because I have soooo many PS2 saves.

That's also kinda funny. The PS2 saves transfered over to the skinny, even if it's not BC, hehe.

8. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is fairly odd. They ditched the BC, but still left in the ability to create PS2 "memory cards" on the hard drive. Kind of a bad call IMHO, as that could and probably has confused the uninformed into thinking the Slim is PS2 BC.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I tryed doing this as well cause I have 2 PS3's and I was mad that it wouldn't let me copy the save files. Oh well, I guess I am going to have to start over on my other PS3 in the bedroom which kind of erks my butt to no end.