Trans-Scanning?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Boy who screams, May 2, 2008.

1. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

So I was watching the movie yesterday and I was wondering how the hell Trans-scanning worked...I mean, do they have to choose vehicles the same size as them, that will be able to transform into them?

I mean, what would happen to Jazz if he scanned an F-22?

And then they gain extra parts when they scan things and presumably their transformation cog things would have to change...why can't they just scan something to repair themselves???

Reformatting is just sooo much simpler...

2. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

well once the protoform lands on the planet it automatically starts scanning for a disguise once picked the protoform body starts absorbing matter around it to match the vehicle they picked does that answer your question?

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It is still reformatting, don't forget that. Just a different kind.Trans-scanningis just the name of the Japanese figures and what they (Takara/Tomy) interpret reformatting as.

It was explained (not in the movie) that TFs had to scan something the same mass as them or something that could accomodate their mass. (I.e., BBs two Camaro modes were similar, but different mass, yet he could pull it off because his robo-parts were just more compacted together in the old one)

Jazz couldn't scan an F-22 because his robot parts couldn't spread out enough to fill the jet and/or his jet parts couldn't compact or store onto his robot mode.

Blackout taught us that TFs can "push the bounderies". He had a lot of kibble, because he had to scan a form big enough to fit him and Scorponok for their specific mission.

The problem with the repair theory is, if they lost an arm and had to scan something that had less mass so they could still transform, the problem would be that they'd still be missing an arm when they transform back. The upside is you have a complete disquise, but the downside is you're still damaged. Minor damages like the ones most bots sustained in the movie probably aren't worth the effort of scanning a new vehicle form anyway.

Bumblbee also showed that certain reformatting can be less time consuming and/or simpler. He was able to scan a brand new vehicle form, but his transformation and robot mode went relatively unchanged due to that. (obviously he didn't have a problem with this, but some bots may) The upside is that you can get a similar massed yet different vehicle mode, but the robot mode my not be greatly altered.

This is how I've always seen it.

4. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Given they didn't want the robots to mass-shift in this movie, I'd assume if they had scanned a form outside of their size range it'd be adapted to fit their robot mode size. This wouldn't allow for a believable disguise though. So in order to maintain a true disguise, I'd think they'd have to limit themselves to a certain size range of objects to scan.

Repairs by scanning a new object... I have to say I don't think that'd repair them, rather just reconfigure what wasn't damaged. Frenzy for example was only able to reconfigure his head when he scanned a new object but it didn't repair/restore the rest of his body.

5. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Split got it right, thay can be around scanning whatever they want, their alt modes have to meet specific requirements.

6. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Yeah, likes been said their alt mode has to fit within their current mass and size. Going from the scene of the Autobots coming throught he atmosphere and how 'pared down' they seemed to be after landing, they must have shed their previous main armor from what ever alt mode they had before and grew new armor molded to fit with their new alt modes. This would be they can be 'flexable' about changing alt modes like Bumblebee did, but have to stick within their size requirements.