Trans-fan wanting to start up collectables biz. Would like feed back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patto Prime, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Patto Prime

Patto Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a newb here but have been a big fan of the site and for quite a while and a fan of transformers since I was four years old.

I'm living in Melbourne Australia and really want to get my own online collectables business up and running. Its really a big dream of mine and to be honest I don't currently wake up in the morning thinking "lets go sell a door, kitchen or some hardware" at my current job. I love my hobbie and its something I'm passionate about.

I suppose as a one fan to many others I really wanted to know what appeals to you guys when you buy stuff online. I also want to know what ticks you off. It doesn't have to be transformers specific but I guess your particular insight would be handy.

So there it is, just one fan looking for a hand. Any feed back would be really cool and much appreciated.

Cheers guys

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're in Australia then let me show you the competition:

Casefresh - they deal with all kinds of collectible toys and have a decent range of TFs.

Transfigure - mainly deal with TFs

There's a few others but those are the main guys for TFs.

I think the most important thing for running an online TF store that sells new TFs is making it cheaper or equal to (including shipping) buying the toy from a retail shop. No one wants to plunk down $30 for a deluxe and then another $8 for shipping when you can buy them for $25ish in stores.

3. Patto Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks Llamatron

Thanks for the handy details and the quick reply. Do you think its better to have a dedicated website or just use ebay.

Anyway I gotta bail now. Gotta go get dinner. Thanks once again. Really appreciate the input.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

nice MEATing you

[​IMG]

oksryistop

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's probably best to start with Ebay and work from there. Or at least in my opinion. At least with Ebay they have it all set and ready for you to just sell and ship your stuff already, as well as having a far reaching, world wide user base, so it can help spread your name around easier then doing it from scratch.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd agree with this. Ebay is a good way to test the waters for your market. You can set up a store and try it out for a while. See what works and what doesn't, before you put the major investment into a full on online store.

7. Patto Prime

News Credits:
    Wow thanks once again. Good call guys on the ebay. I think it might be a bit better doing that to begin with instead of sticking my neck out too far financially to begin with.

Also it probably gonna take a fair bit of practice to see what works in term advertising, search listings etc and how to make the whole sale process seamless. You are right that ebay has a fair bit of support online.

I geuss if anyone else has anything else to add i'm all ears (not literally tho).

In the meantime i'll keep up the research.

Btw Chaos muffin, nice to meat you too. That looks like a tasty cut of meat. Do you prefer bbq, mustard or tomato sauce / ketchup on your face steak. Well done or rare :) 

Adios for now

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BBTS' Pile of Loot feature is awesome, and enable people who buy larger numbers of toys to really save on shipping. Something for down the road.

And the value of customer service really can't be stressed enough. I won't ever buy anything from ToyNK thanks to their service. But I'll spend more for an item from HLJ because of their courtesy.

But I agree that eBay isn't a bad way to start. You can still always have a website set up to feed into it until you're established on your own.