Minor/Repaint: Trailer for Cybertron Armorhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Alright! Now, this is my second attempt at this project. I'd purchased the set of Reprolabels for the Hot Wheels "Truckin' Transporters" trailer, and my first time around it was looking pretty damned good...
    [att]12522[/att]
    Don't you think so?

Well, after putting on a clear coat, the paint began to crack, so I went to strip the paint off to paint the trailer again... Finding plain old 70% rubbing alcohol too slow-going, I asked my father-in-law if he had anything that would work quicker, to which he pointed me towards "Zip Strip"... Applying a little bit, the paint IMMEDIATELY started to bubble off! Walking away for a couple minutes to let it do it's work, I came back to find my trailer a slagged mess...
    [att]12521[/att]
    Yeah, that's my finger poking through the center of the trailer... Anyways, turns out Zip Strip is an industrial paint remover, and the "may weaken plastic" statement should be taken seriously... :dunce 

Anyways, back in January I found a couple of replacement trailers, this time molded in black plastic. Now, leaving it black would work well for TFTM Armorhide, but I knew one day I'd get around to tackling this repaint again... And after a little confidence building conversation with Superquad7 (and a successful repaint of G1 Pepsi Optimus Prime into the "Kitty Truck"), I took out the paint and Reprolabels and wrapped up the project (for now).
    [att]12518[/att]
    Oh, nice...
    [att]12519[/att]
    Armorhide's happy again!

And, I figured out what to use to keep the trailer up when not connected to Armorhide... Now, it's not as fancy as I'd hoped, but I took the forearms from the TFA Optimus Happy Meal toy,carved them up with a Dremel, and superglued them into place to use as the trailer's dollies...
    [att]12517[/att]
    I had too many of these guys anyways...
    [att]12520[/att]
    Easy as pie!

Now, I may get around to painting the helipad like I did last time, but I don't own any paints, nor am I that concerned about it. I mainly wanted to do this just for the trailer, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out! What can I say? I'm just glad to have this one 'done', at least for the time being... :thumbs2: 

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm SO glad to see you finish this project! :D  Iknow how hard the failure of your first one hit you. I'm proud of you that you didn't give up on customizing after that! I love it man. Nice twist on adding the trailer stand (when I did it I just used the thighs from an LOC Evac) as well. I would like to see you eventually detail the interior though, at some point anyway. Imean, you did all that the first time around, and now you don't have it so its like you're not QUITE 100% full circle.

3. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I probably will eventually, but the kicker is there aren't any hobby shops nearby -and Walmart quit carrying models & paints... So, the interior is going to have to wait until I get around to picking up paints (because I will eventually be doing so for another project)...

Don't worry Redline, it's only a matter of time... But, for the time being, I did just want the trailer done exterior-wise for display purposes...

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Looks really good, again. I'm not sure if this was asked the first time around, but would it be impossible to use the wheels from the trailer to put on Armorhide? If it is possible do you still have the ones from the first trailer intact to use for it?

5. REDLINE

News Credits:

not impossible, but you'd have to do some rigging as they're designed to mount differently. What I did was get an extra Armorhide, and pop his arms off the elbow balls and then glue them under the trailer after removing the wheels and their mount, so the tires all matched.

6. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Now, I thought about doing that, but I'd have to get another Armorhide. I SERIOUSLY don't think Armorhide would look good wearing the trailer's tires (not to mention I'd have to buy TWO more of the fraggin' things!). I don't think the custom requires the butcher of another Armorhide to 'finish' the project. Heck, Redline & Chaos Muffins' trailers were what inspired me to try out the whole scene anyways... And the original pics of your trailer on Transtopia didn't have the swapped-out wheels when I saw them: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Cybertron/Armorhide-With-Custom-Trailer/

If I come across another Armorhide, I'll probably swap out the wheels (since it seems easy enough), but in the meantime I don't think it's necessary to complete the figure. Armorhide was missing a trailer, now he has one.

EDIT: I just noticed that the interior stickers are different from the others, probably due to the fact I got mine after the Reprolables promotion... The graphic with the helicopter only has 2 speech bubbles, and the box of colored rectangles only has 1 blue rectangle in it...
    [att]12546[/att]
    Ya know, it's kind of nice to have something 'a little different'... :D 

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats really sweet looking bud....glad to see you got it finished :thumb 

8. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I still need to make mine.

I've got the labels and the trailer, but I haven't made it.

On that note, whatever happened with that Reprolabels/Sculptbot Boombox custom kit that was gonna be made available?

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    That's interesting. I hope that's all it is,and not a misprint. At least they still look good :)  and yeah I did the wheel swap after I'd already "finished" it. The big deal for me was giving it landing lights.

10. Methusalen

News Credits:

I was wondering the same thing, even sent Scuplt-bot a message yesterday through his profile page, but haven't heard anything yet... I thought that since he was making the head for the figure, that he'd be the one to ask first... I can't recall who was working with Delta regarding the stickers, but that was probably pushed onto the back burner too...

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    no reason to mess with Sculptbot guys. When its ready, you'll be notified.

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That's pretty slick. Have you seen those trailers still on store shelves, man?

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm THRILLED to see this piece finally finished man. I was also upset when the first one turned out the way it did. I'm really glad that you counted your losses, moved on to better things (Kitty truck FTW!), and finally came back to this project. I know this has been a labor of love and it looks as if everything really paid off for ya, buddy! Everything looks great and the cool thing about this piece is that you still have room to expand the project while have a displayable piece in the meantime.

Way to persevere, Radicon! :thumb 

14. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Hey, i didn't place it that you were the kitty truck basher. That was a really cool piece (I am Prime biased, though :lol ) Any other Prime trailer's planned? I'd like to see a cool one for Classics Prime.

15. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I haven't looked for this specific trailer, but I have seen the other Truckin' Transporters on the shelves at my local Target... The box trailer like this (that splits in half ala-G1 Prime) might still be available. Otherwise, Wingsbr made some trailers for the mold based off a couple of the Truckin' Transporter trailers as well...
    [​IMG]

Gotcha, I'd sent him the query already anyways... I'm not that concerned about the project, and thought sending him a message through his profile page would be less bothersome as posting a new thread asking about it... Less intrusive? That way he doesn't get 20+ people on his ass asking about the project.

Well, I've thought about it a little bit, but can't think of anything suitable that I could find... I don't think I've got the skills (and definitely not the materials) to scratch-build a trailer for him, but if I ever find anything that's to scale with him... :D  -Otherwise, I'm still looking around to find a way to turn the Pepsi Prime flatbed trailer into a tanker trailer... Nothing I'm very concerned about, but it'll come to me one day!

-If you hadn't noticed, I'm a pretty laid-back individual. When the fancy strikes me, I jump into something. Although most of the time I just come to look at all the pretty customs that others do (and take some notes about what to do with my own ideas)...

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    1:43 is scale for a trailer to add to Classics Prime. I got one off Ebay for 13 dollars. so now you have no excuse, get to crackin! Classics Kitty Prime!