Tragedy at Monster Jam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Jan 18, 2009.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Really? Monster Jam takes in about 30 thousand people at any given show. Do you honestly think people would have been happy with a raincheck or partial refund given that most probably did not know what had happened to the victims till after the show? It would take at least a year to refund and reschedule a program that big.

2. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

nice!

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yes a riot. Just up and stopping the show because of an accident could set someone (or a group of someones) off. In south america and europe riots have broken out over disputed calls in a soccer game. That then goes on to kill dozens.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know if a riot would've started had they stopped the show, although I don't deny that it could have.

But why should they have stopped the show? Is it unfortunate that there was a death? Of course. But it was clearly a freak accident, and without any reason to believe that another death (or injury) would occur, why should they have stopped the show? 30,000 people should be inconvenienced because of one death?

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

sad that it happened...but i think it would of caused a riot of some sort....it only takes one person to start it...

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

How many deaths are needed?

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clearly, if the nature of the death suggested that another accident was likely, that's another situation. By all means, shut the show down until the potential threat is eliminated.

But if it was a freak accident, which this seems to have been, why stop the event? What's the benefit? It's not protecting anyone, since it was simply a terrible accident. It's not going to bring the kid back. So...why stop it?

8. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

^compassion, proper gravity being given to the loss of a human life, but I digress

What if it was one freak accident that caused several parts/pellets to be ejected from the truck into the audience striking, maiming and killing many in a small cone but there wasn't much of a possibility for a second accident. do they get the injured/dying out and continue with business as per usual are you saying that's the most appropriate step to take.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So the proper gravity being paid to the loss of a human life means that we should close the show? And who determines that--you? Or is there some sort of Anti-life Equation I'm unfamiliar with?

In the situation you suggest, the response would be...well, situational. If so many died that the required emergency response suggested that continuing the show would be unfeasible, then sure, they should cancel it. But if was possible to appropriately treat the injured and remove the dead without canceling the show, then no, I don't think that would be a sensible response.

And since we're doing hypothetical situations, how about when there's an accident on the interstate that kills someone, should be shut down that stretch of highway and inconvenience tens of thousands of people to give the victim "proper gravity?"

Regardless, I'm not dismissing the death of the victim. I'm just sayin' that an emotional knee-jerk response (hang the bastard! stop the show! sue him!) is rarely if ever the best reaction.

10. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Okay, upon reading the article, I don't think the show should be stopped, though it should be submitted to some rigorous investigation and safety checks. You cannot dismiss what was clearly a technical failure as a 'freak accident', and thus not take any further precautions.
    This is not really the right kind of attitude, as you cannot make the assumption that that truck will be the only one with issues until proper testing has been done on all the equipment in the show; the problem could be in the construction of the vehicle, the maintenance done to the vehicle, the exercises the vehicle went through etc., by simply stating it was a one-off is to invite more deaths and injury.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think they should've stopped the show, had a moment of silence, then have someone well spoken explain the situation to the audience and then respectfully have them leave in respect of the childs father.

Then they should re-schedule the event, and have some kind of tribute with the father's choice and permission and have EVERYONE there have a few minutes of silence for the kid. Then have the trucks do some badass mudgrinding in his honor, just in case he's watching from somewhere. The kid was a fan

The show would also benefit and profit as needed so, honorable win right there.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

OK, maybe I'm missing something. From reading the article it seemed like there were 4 days worth of shows and that they continued with the remaining days. I did not get the impression or see anywhere that it stated they finished that evening's show.