Tragedy at Monster Jam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Jan 18, 2009.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Debris Kills Boy in Stands at Truck Show

I always knew something like this was possible, but it saddens me that the people running the show didn't handle it better. By reading that, they act like it was no big deal. I've got a feeling this is going to turn into something MUCH bigger. I also have a feeling it will cost them a few fans.

The last event like this that I went to was a combination monster truck/tractor pull event. One of the tractor pull trucks blew an engine, and parts flew about 10 feet from me. It really surprised me that they didn't make them put something extra in the engine bay to lessen the chance of something like that. I know they make transmission scatter shields to protect drivers, so I thought they line the engine compartment to protect the kids.

May God watch over and bless the families involved in this tragedy.

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow that is sad.....I feel for the little boys family.

And the fact that the show just "continued on" shows how much they cared about it.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I saw this on the local news yesterday I think. I was going to make a joke about it before it was reported anyone was hurt - luckily I thought better about it.

Tragic, and I'm honestly surprised this stuff doesn't happen more frequently too.

EDIT - that should say before it was reported anyone was SERIOUSLY hurt.

4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I think what bothers me the most is the way all the drivers go on and on about how they're one big family and how this is all about the fans and the kids. It kinda sickens me. In the official statement, they just say the people were injured. I've got a feeling there's gonna be a statement from the drivers that is VERY different from that of the promoters. I really hope so, anyway.

5. newguy

newguy i

I say sue the balls out of them. Whem you buy your ticket i see noa sighn that says, " we are not liable for any injuries to ocure during the show".

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

How could they have just kept on with the show?! Those f****ing bastards!

7. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    My condolences to the kid's family and friends. I'm sickened too that those buttholes kept on going with the show as if the little kid's death didn't matter. I hope they get sued.

8. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

the comments below the story are even more sad.. i was thinking about going to a monster jam show with my kids but this makes me think twice. if anything ill sit in the upper bowl

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I say this to the three of you, even though I'm only quoting one. Stopping the show when something like this happens is potentially a VERY bad idea. Sure it's a tragedy when one fmaily looses a kid like that. But if they'd stopped the show and it sparked a riot that kills 10 kids.... Think about that.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Monster Jam came by my town last week. Only tragedy here was that our bus driver to the event got lost for an hour. Its a shame this happened but the report does state they had safety barriers in place; this was just a freak accident. Its still one of the safest family events out there; at least one person days every year at a theme park. The last time, I beleive, someone died at Monster Jam was about 10 years ago here in my town when a performer got decapitated.

11. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

BINGO!!!! Thats why they kept going on after Hart died. several thousand people angry and at varied states of inebriation is a powder keg.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    my god what were you guys at monster jam thinking.

13. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    that is so terrible, I was never a fan of those shows at all

14. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The show did the only thing they could do. If they didn't continue the show, hundreds of drunk people would form a mob claiming they got robbed. Sad truth. When we rented the PPV and watched Hart fall to his death we were surprised they continued the show as well. Hell, the dude's blood was still on the canvas. Had they not continued the show though it could have potentially been worse.

15. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

While a tragedy, this is far from a common occurrence at these events. According to the Associated Press "truck accidents have killed five people and injured more than 40 between 1992 and 2007."

In any case it's still a sad event and my heart goes out to the families involved and effected.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Something more tragic than Monster Jam itself. Sad.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:( 

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Actually that's generally on the back of every ticket. I remember being very confused at that line for a seat in a theater to watch a rather tame play. I wanted to know why Ticketmaster, the venue, and the producers of the play Proof would need a hold faultless clause.

19. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should've stopped the events and given everyone rainchecks or refunds, promising to hold another event in a short time with further attention paid to safety and security.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Oh common a riot won't be sparked when a tragedy occurs just announce a refund for the ticket holders