Trademarks and Copyrights

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by -Mainframe-, Mar 11, 2012.

1. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Transformers names that have been lost.
    Name changes.

Transformers lost through trademark and copyright.

Anything else you can add to this that would be helpful?

2. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Hot Rod -> Rodimus
    Trailbreaker -> Trailcutter
    Grapple -> Grappel
    Black Shadow -> Sky Shadow
    Skyfire -> Skyblast
    Hot Spot -> Hot Zone
    Shrapnel -> Sharpshot
    Bombshell -> Hardshell
    Outback -> Fallback
    Scattershot -> Scattorshot

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Not gonna' lie, when I saw this thread name "Trademarks and Copyright" and saw that it was created by "Mainframe", I momentarily had a minor heart-attack, thinking, "Oh s**t! Mainframe's (the CG animation company behind Beast Wars/Beast Machines) gonna sue the site! Or TFP! Or something!" And then read the thread, came to my sense and realized that "Mainframe Entertainment" has been renamed "Rainmaker", amongst other reasons why it wouldn't actually be a rep from Mainframe. :lol  D'oh.

I'm no expert, but I believe there was/are issues regarding the name Shockwave (Shockblast), Hot Rod (Rodimus Minor, Rodimus Major) and a couple of other characters, hence them being named "Autobot _____" or "Decepticon _____". But again, I'm not exactly sure.

4. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. I will not be suing the site. :tongue: 

Skids is the name used for four characters in the Transformers Universes. Due to trademark reasons, the name was modified to "Skid-Z" for it to be used on new characters and an "Autobot" prefix was added when the original Skids toy was reissued and when he became an Alternator.

Bluestreak is a character in the Transformers mythos. For trademark reasons his name had to be changed to Silverstreak in 2003. Trademark was returned to Hasbro again in 2010.

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't think one could ever "lose" a copyright -- that is, the actual character, toy (that they created, mind you), or a show/movie (and NOT names). My understanding is the copyright will never run out on it's own.

The actual insignias appear to be trademarked (going by how Tailwhip has little ™s near his), which would presumably mean the Maximal/Predacon/Vehicon/etc. symbols could be "lost" since they aren't used all that often anymore.

6. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

toei make japanese g1 ts shows 1st - toei staff pick tfs names
    optiums - convoy