Tracks: Did they plan to release the mold in Red AND Blue?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by godsenddeath, Dec 29, 2006.

1. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    (Sorry if this oddity is common knowledge - I didn't know about it previously)

It's a well known fact that the red version of Tracks appears on the rear panel artwork Hasbro used in '85.

Many of you will probably also know that the artwork Takara used that year was slightly different, as several toys from the 1985 line originated from companies other than Takara.

Here's something i noticed, that i hadn't spotted before however.

[​IMG]

The artwork has a blue Tracks in the right corner which is not present in the Hasbro version of the 1985 artwork.

It's also fairly well known that the red version of Tracks was released in some parts of Europe.

The curious thing though is that it's shown in both colors.

Were the red version and blue version perhaps planned to be released as two different characters?

Anybody have any theories?

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i had never noticed that before. hmm.

good question

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Keen eye you got there. Interesting, indeed!

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I beleive the red version is Road rage, I think she was originaly meant to be released in G1, but was held of, and was eventualy released as an e-hobby exclusive.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Road Rage was just a name/character they pulled out of their..hat..to slap on an excuse to release a red Tracks, due to its quasi-presence in G1.

At any rate, I find it extremely unlikely that they planned to release both red and blue in G1. That's just crazy...repaints and retools among the '84-85 cars. Pssh.

[​IMG]

:p 

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep!

7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    IIRC the original story was that the red Tracks was intended as a Decepticon (On the US packaging he's shooting Grimlock in dino mode where Blitzwing is) but those plans were changed because "having a Decepticon in an all Autobot assortment might be confusing" or some crazy Marketting "bad guys don't sell" kind of decision.... I was actually surprised the E-Hobby Road Rage was an Autobot since having the red Tracks as a Decepticon made more sense if they were going for posterity....

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hard to say. There's a lot of wackyness in those box-back mural things, like fleets of repeated robot characters and so on.

I could see a Red Tracks mold being planned but not used, or maybe Red Tracks is in the mural because it was used in certain markets. Either way, I probably wasn't gonna be "Road Rage", since I don't think that term was popularly coined in the eighties.

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    if he was planned to be released back in the day I bet they were going to put siren's on the red verson like they did to ratchet,red alert,prowl ect...What! if a van,lamb and datsun could have siren's then why not a corvette stingy?

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

It does seems to correspond with stories that have circulated about original plans for Astrotrain being an Autobot, then being changed to a Decepticon in order to limit types of sub group to a specific faction.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hasbro depended on Takara's tooling. They could chose the color schemes they wanted, but there was no police version of the Corvette mold. Now, police Sunstreaker, that would have been a different story.