Minor/Repaint: TR Trypticon tail fix guide. (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rotorstorm, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right, my Trypticon's tail made one loud snapping sound first time I moved the tail but still locked into place for tail dragger but had a slight droop for other modes, but one I handled last weekend (belonging to @Decepticreeps100 moved once with a loud snap and then wouldn't lock in to either position neccesitating this fix.

Your mileage may vary but I would reccomend doing this fix regardless simply because after taking mine apart and seeing the damage made by moving the tail without gluing it (picture further down) you could save yourself any problems further down the line.

Anyway...

Simple mod, seems daunting but really it's just removing screws, gluing something and putting back together.

Nowhere as scary as it first seems

you will need:

1 Trypticon, legs removed to allow easier moving around. (Note you want to remove screws on Trypticon's right hand side rather than his left seen in this image.)

Trypticon tail fix - 1.jpg

1 long thin phillips head screwdriver, the screws are fairly large so in my precision set this was the largest I have. You need them to have long reach as some of the screws you need to reach are down deep recesses.

When removing screws try to keep track of which one goes where, a lot of screws look similar, but that doesn't mean they're interchangable.

And superglue, decent superglue ideally as you want this to be a one time fix

Trypticon tail fix - 2.jpg

The very first screw you want to remove is on the swinging arm that lifts the garage door/tail tip.

You can remove both sides if you like but I got by just removing one.

Trypticon tail fix - 3.jpg

With that screw removed you can emasculate his tail and set that piece off to one side.

Trypticon tail fix - 4.jpg

With that piece out of the way you can now swing the arm down into the position shown above to access a hidden screw. Remove it and the other screws highlighted and you should be able to prise the tail away from the main body of Trypticon. (five screws in total circled)

Trypticon tail fix - 5.jpg

If you want to completely split the tail to make it easier, there are two further screws within the inside of the tail that can remove, but I found them hard to get to with my screwdrivers and in the end didn't need to.

Trypticon tail fix - 6.jpg

You can then lift the rest of the tail away and here we can see the problem.

Trypticon tail fix - 7.jpg

This crosshead piece just isn't strong enough to cope with the ratchet, it is stressed and slightly warped. Inside the tail...

Trypticon tail fix - 8.jpg

is the other part of this side of the ratchet. This is where the problem lies, these pieces should really be fixed together to create a strong connection. Let's do that.

You may well be able to pry out that piece of the assembly but I couldn't so now we resort to spatchcocking our Trypticon and take the body apart to get to that bloody thing

Trypticon tail fix - 9.jpg

Remove these four screws, then flip open the transformation bit...

Trypticon tail fix - 10.jpg

... And remove these four too, that should allow you to get Tryp seperated and ready for the BBQ!

Trypticon tail fix - 11.jpg

If you are having problems with getting the door out even with force now is a good time to do it since it can now be lightly sanded/lubricated without damaging it.

Trypticon tail fix - 12.jpg

Paydirt, note how this piece has two shorter edges to it's 'X'? This marries up with the tail and means that when reassembling you don't have to worry about putting him back together wrong.

Trypticon tail fix - 13.jpg

Glue that piece on to the tail, this is what we came here to do. I used a bit too much glue due to its dubious quality so it took a while to dry, apply pressure to ensure a proper weld between the two pieces for a few minutes.

Trypticon tail fix - 14.jpg

At this point you can screw the main body of Trypticon back together, so the four screws on the inside and those on the outside go back in along with Tryp's head assembly and the door after any remidial work that may need.

Don't worry about the ratchet piece only being in on one side, it will work properly.

Once the glue has dried with no movement between the two pieces you can reassemble by pushing the fixed piece into position and levering the other side back around, put all the screws back in (and the little wheel if it fell out of its housing

Be sure to put the pieces together within the normal range of motion (or you won't be able to move it) and viola!

Trypticon tail fix - 16.jpg

One Trypticon with a tail that moves between the two positions without the feeling of breakage that hold in both the straight and horizontal position.

I didn't feel like mine needed it but after doing this fix, not only has it got rid of the slight droop for apaceship mode, it feels like it has increased the lifespan of this great toy. Shame they hadn't done this at the factory really.

Hope this all makes sense. I know it's a bit long but I wanted it to be comprehensive in what you need to watch out for and be aware of.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 13
  2. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 You know what it is, I'm just Street tuff

Well explained Sir, many thanks for the bar room surgery and putting up with cackola glue. @Maz, this is @Rotorstorm's tail healing hands process. I urge all to get round to it as it's super worrying when it cracks and stays broken.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Now, this make sense to me because words sometimes make it hard for me to understand, but with visuals now it makes clear...crystal clear. Good job, sir. Now, I just need is a Trypticon to play doctor with...WOO! LOL

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad it's been some help, I know what you mean, seeing a wall of text can feel daunting and confrontational but pictures can speak a thousand words and mods like this

• Like Like x 8
  5. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

This is good to know. I finally get mine on Tuesday. So it sounds like I should just go ahead and do this correct?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say yes, but before disassembly check the door on the chest so if you need to alter it you can do it without breaking it

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Thanks I will do that also.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing here!

You guys keep sharing your feedback, etc. If anyone has anything to add, please post. I'll move this and the leg fix to Tutorials soon :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    No way in hell I'm attempting this, I would probably lose parts or reassemble it wrong. Or both.

10. Tahukanuva

Tahukanuva Human After All

Hey, thanks for this! I have a fully functional Trypticon now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It looks a lot more daunting than it is, it's just a case of removing screws then putting back together properly. you don't even need to take the screws out of the holes on the main body so long as you lift and store so gravity helps you. Completely up to you though, for what it's worth I've had harder times fixing and modding things on deluxe figures!

12. Tahukanuva

IMPORTANT FOLLOW UP:

Uh, don't do this fix if your cross piece has any stress warping because the ratchet won't line up correctly in the intended positions. The fix itself works great, as long as you don't have any cracks or warping before you start.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine had a bit of stress warping but was still in the correct position.

In theory so long as you can line it up with the original crosshead position you might be able to fix it

14. BrooklynBombers

BrooklynBombers Well-Known Member

Hey, great tutorial. Mine seems to be working a lot better now.

I found that you can poke the ratchet piece out from the body by poking a screwdriver through the hole on the other side of the body )where you can see the spring). May save you from having to mess with cracking the body open.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried that but mine wouldn't move beyond the soft ridge

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So, looks like we have everything we need here?

17. Ras0

Ras0 Member

I tried gluing mine twice, let it dry for 48 hours clamped and the parts wont stay glued together under the pressure of ratchting the tail. Used JB Weld and Krazy super glue. It seems that there is not enough surface area to hold under the strain. I noticed the spring is also very hard but I don't want to disassemble the whole body to get at the spring. Not sure if an epoxy glue would be better since the plastic is so smooth. Anyone know what solvent glue would work for the plastic used in the tail? I don't think its worth trying a third time.

18. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's only screws bud, and those on the body only need unscrewing rather than removing if you want to work the spring a bit

19. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor JaAmS

i dint bother with glue, i used the gorilla glue two part epoxy and went to town. it might as well be a single piece now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tahukanuva

Mine came unglued (and was warped anyway) so I ended up taking the spring out completely, and just wrapping a single layer of masking tape around the post on the tail. Turned it into a friction joint that's more than sturdy enough to hold a pose.