Minor/Repaint: TR Krok Tail-Shield

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by kmopotato, Apr 20, 2017.

1. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

I just got a Krok. I hate the stupid tail thing. I hate the halfassed gun-boat piece of shit excuse they made. I wish the tail split up and formed heels or something, like every other tail for a reptile TF. This custom came out of pure anger at what was a really good figure with one huge flaw.

While going over the tail, I noticed there were 2 useless pegs on it, one folding outside and one fixed inside. At first, I had planned to use the outer one and cut it and then superglue it as the shield grip, but I really like how it broke up the colors outside.

I suppose the "outer peg method" is for those people that don't have a drill or pin vise handy. It'll work exactly the same way, but if you bend it, it'll pop out wihtout that inner reinforcement.

IMG_20170419_214413.jpg
    IMG_20170419_214349.jpg

I cut off the internal "gun handle", drilled a 2mm hole inside the peg, and stuck some styrene tube in there as a reinforcement before gluing it into place. Now the stupid tail partsforms into a dinky shield.

IMG_20170419_213740.jpg

IMG_20170419_213545.jpg

IMG_20170419_214333.jpg

It doesn't get in the way of transformation either.

IMG_20170419_213956.jpg IMG_20170419_213949.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 7
  2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    I really thint the Skullcruncher mold was gimped, alongside many of the non-headmaster figs and Galvatron, from much better engineered original designs. I would think, looking at your mods, that both the legs and tail were designed just as you modded them, until some halfwit exec at Hasblow decided tocut corners, bless them.

In other words, you did an outstanding job, my lad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kmopotato

Thanks! Looking at the croc head, it looks like the balljoint was supposed to move out of the way to allow the head to stay in beast mode. There's so much wasted potential in these things.

4. King Glurch

King Glurch Voyager Sized

YouTube:
    What did you do to the croc mode's hind legs? That looks really cool.

5. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    That works nicely!

6. kmopotato

That's the unscrew method. I didn't mention it because I assumed everyone knew about it already. You just unscrew the hind leg, and turn the legs into parts forming for the heels by sliding them out and plugging them inside the calves.

7. King Glurch

King Glurch Voyager Sized

YouTube:
    Oh cool, thank you.

8. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

This is a way better fix than just deploying his croc claws on one arm and popping the tail-piece on top of it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I'm convinced that Skullcruncher was always meant to be a headmaster, with the option of a later retool to remove that functionality (chest opens up or whatever). That being said, the gator rear leg mechanism was definitely cut in the budgeting process.

This is nice, too.

10. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

Considering that Krok didn't actually even transform originally, since he was one of those non-transforming "Inaction" Masters, this is already a massive improvement. Yes, he has the mold flaws of Skullcruncher, but at least he transforms now.

I actually just painted the little flip up handle black to blend it in more with the color scheme, since 1) I don't like the neon yellow, and 2) I'll never be using it as a weapon by that peg. I think of it more now as a pivoting tail gun in his alt mode, along with the tail tip gun being plugged in...and so I also painted the gun barrel and handle black, again, to better blend into his alt mode.

Additionally, I painted his waist piece black, to be more G1 looking, and used a red Sharpie to color the stupid pink bits red. MUCH happier with it now. I do plan on dremeling out the tail section where your handle is pegged in for the shield, so I can use the upper tail peg that you chopped, to plug in as a shoulder shield in bot mode, keeping his hands free and differentiating him from Skullcruncher. I'll probably also get those Shapeways pieces by cnomis to give his rear legs the swivel inside for bot mode. Until then, I'll go with your unscrew method.

Also, nice move with the unscrew method. Looking forward to trying it out!

11. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Exept its a pain to make work everytime. My Skullcruncher hardly ever holds that way.

12. pluto

pluto Active Member

Dudes you can get the same effect by just putting the gun in the tail backwards, none mods necessary!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

That works unless you actually want him to hold the gun AND shield in separate hands...

14. kmopotato

The pegs for that don't fit on my copy, also I wanted to hold both at the same time.

I don't think I've ever seen that before. Pics?

15. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice work! Changing how the tail-gun thingy works really helps differentiate this figure from Skullcruncher.

• Like Like x 1
  17. THE 1

THE 1 GUNFIGHTER

I really like this mod. I think the way he holds the "tailshield" AND gun is quite a cool addition. I'm gonna have to copy this for both Kroc and Skullsmasher. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 2