Minor/Repaint: TR Galvatron mod log

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hyoumaru, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I decided it was time to stop putzing around and finally put my TR Galvatron through a little bit of surgery

As I'm still searching for a pin long enough to create the head swivel and make the transformation all-inclusive, I decided to start with removing the nosecone, an articulation-restricting back-weighing annoyance, and replacing it with an improvised fin fixture.

I started by removing the pin that attached the nosecone to the collar area. It was surprisingly easy, a thumbtack was able to push it out. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the pin that kept the backfin and cockpit canopy attached, that thing would NOT come out. After enough frustration, I took some nail clippers to the canopy and tore it apart to get the pin out. I wasn't going to keep the nosecone anyway.

After checking the size of everything, I realized the swivel-housing of the nosecone was the ideal mount for the fin fixture, so I used the nail clippers to carve the housing out, then sanded the excess away (it didn't take long at all, just rubbed it along a strip of sandpaper on my desk surface, the plastic is surprisingly easy to sand down) Once that was done, I pushed the second pin back in, used a pair of bolt/wire cutters to chop off the excess, then used the sandpaper to remove what was left outside the housing.

Presently I'm using Gorilla Glue to affix the fin fixture to the nosecone's original housing, but I've got no confidence that'll last, so I'm going to look for a drill bit I can use to drill a hole into the fixture to keep it secured.

I'm still looking for a pin long enough to modify the head to get rid of the Titan Master gimmick. If I can succeed at that, I'll be sure to document it here.

For the record, yes I already have applied Fakebuster83's cannon adapter from Shapeways, and painted it using the Purple Elmers paint pen from Wal Mart. I recommend ordering it in purple polished plastic, because the rough plastic ends up being porous enough to absorb the paint, and the mixture of the two shades of purple results in an ideal shade for Galvatron. I would not recommend FUD for this, it only creates more work .

And yes, it can still transform after this. If you decide to try it yourself based on this story, my best advice is to make sure there's still enough clearance in the collar area to allow the cannon to attach when affixing the fin fixture to the old nosecone housing.
    2016-09-22 02.39.50.jpg 2016-09-22 02.58.17.jpg 2016-09-22 02.58.45.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Nicely done! I hope a KO company takes a modded Galvatron figure and makes one. After all, there would be LESS for them to make and simpler too!

3. Hyoumaru

Yeah, the figure doesn't need THAT much work to be a lot better

Currently having trouble finding a suitable pin for the head swap. A pin I THOUGHT would work turned out to be too thick for it, and I'm not sure I'm okay buying a TR Deluxe just to sacrifice it for a pin.

4. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I ended up using a long nail for my pin. Worked pretty well, just needed to add a few coats of future floor Polish to the nail to thicken it up some. Was a very cheap alternative and worked well

5. Hyoumaru

Okay, some updates

Some small touches so far, I painted Galvatron's back flap using the Wal-Mart purple pen, it was the only miscolored-purple plastic that kept bothering me, since it's meant to sit in flush with his chest in cannon mode. I also sanded down the "spikes" on the back of Galvatron's cannon, which always stuck out oddly to me. I sanded them down level to the rest of the barrel, then (mostly) restored the finish using super-fine steel wool (which is also ideal for getting rid of those pesky ID numbers printed on the plastic surface)

With the help of a friend (for whatever reason, there wasn't a single Titan Master to be found around where I live beyond ONE Terri-bull) I secured a Clobber and an Ape Face Titan Master. I ended up cobbling together Galvatron/Nucleon's faceplate to Ape Face's body with Clobber's arms, since the latter's black plastic was a better match for Galvatron's than Ape Face's default black. The colors work a bit better, but I'll likely end up painting Nucleon's faceplate a bit before this is over. It's also worth noting that Ape Face's head fits VERY securely into Galvatron's neckhole, unlike Nucleon who absolutely refused to lock in, though I know that's an individual QC issue.

Unfortunately, FakeBuster83's cannon adapter wound up breaking on me. I glued it back together, but I decided I was best off gluing the adapter onto the arm as a whole to ensure it never breaks again. Thankfully it doesn't impede transformation any.

I decided I didn't value Transformers Energon quite as much as I thought, so an arm-pin from Energon Hot Shot turned out to be the ideal-sized pin to use for the head modification, don't even have to shave it down any. Currently my only question is how to actually drill the holes in for the pin to secure, need to make sure it's level and alligned correctly, how to make sure the head doesn't slide back and forth inside the chest and so on. I'll be checking the hardware store for options tomorrow.

I got the G1-style Shapeways helmet coming in soon, I'm going to test that for a bit before I end up cutting and gluing Galvatron's mask to his face.

Attached Files:

6. Hyoumaru

More updates

As it turns out, my concern over Galvatron's head moving side-to-side when inside the chest cavity was a non-issue. I don't know if this is a standard for it, but the pin I removed from Energon Hot Shot has a notch in it that's placed in the ideal spot to keep the neck-mounting secure in place, so that was pretty serendipitous.

As it turns out, prepping Galvatron's upper body for the neck-swivel took more sanding and cutting than I expected. (Big thanks to grindcore138 and his own work on TR Galvatron that warned me in preparation for this.) The Chest-piece obviously requires removing the front part that keeps the neck mounting locked in place, but you also need to cut away at some of the side mountings in order to give the mounting clearance to move on the swivel. The back half is a tiny but more problematic. The sides and back of the upper portion need to be sanded/cut away to give enough clearance for the swivel to slide out, but at the same time you don't want to sand away TOO much of the back part that the upper lip of the neck mounting won't catch on it and stay in place. You also need to cut away at the back portion of the neck mounting, once again to allow clearance. Pretty much the lower lip needs to be cut away at the center-most point. Nail Clippers were incredibly helpful for that.

Drilling into the sides of the chest half was probably the most terrifying part, because if I messed up there I'd probably have to buy a new Galvatron to try again. Using Chronix's pictures as reference, I use a thumbtack to mark where to drill into the side and VERY carefully drilled forward, trying my best to keep it straight. It was pretty dicey, but I managed to drill through to the other side. Noting where the pin made contact on the other side, I marked it again with the thumbtack and drilled on through to the other side. After a lot of trial and error, I managed to make a functional neck swing mechanism.

I was disappointed to discover the G1 Shapeways Helmet for Galvatron simply won't work with this mechanism, it's too big to fit into the chest cavity, unfortunate waste of cash there. I'm gonna have to figure out the best way to cut the mask from its swivel-mounting and prep it for permanent attachment to the face, after that it'll be just little touches like removing tabs.
    2016-09-28 15.30.16.jpg 2016-09-28 15.45.07.jpg 2016-09-28 15.45.28.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Hyoumaru

New update

Things took an unfortunate turn with affixing Galvatron's mask to his face. I didn't have the tools or guidance necessary to cut away at the mask or face, so I tried applying glue to everywhere I THOUGHT it would make contact and hoped it'd hold. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of spillover and as a result, the head's a bit of a mess on the sides now thanks to dried gorilla glue, have to figure out how to clean that up, but at least the mask is holding on.

As it turns out, even with the swivel mechanism in place, the side-tabs within Galvatron's chest cavity prevented the mask-affixed head from fully swinging into the chest enough to let it close, so I had to take the torso apart again (really scared I'm stripping the screwheads down) and cut those away. after that, it's working fine now.

I'm beginning to second-guess myself on modifying the legs. Anybody with a TR Galvatron knows the plastic that make up his legs is pretty thin, afraid removing those Titan Master pegs could lead to trouble. At most, I might sand away the inner-parts of the bottom lips around the ankles to give a little more ankle articulation, have to see what goes there.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1