Toyworld TW-T Not-Throttlebot Combiner

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by triknot, Jul 16, 2014.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I hear the people who are unforgiving about scale and partsforming and I just don't get it. Not everyone has to throw away their boxes and store these transformed on a glass shelf and everything has to size perfectly or it has no value. That is nice but not for everyone. If you get a perfect bot and a perfect, solid, posable combiner why complain? People cannot see the majesty of what has been created. I personally love the oversize ones. You have a throwaway G1 toy that was almost an afterthought the size of a thumb and with imagination these are now full sized cars with impressive personalities and transformations that have an extra purpose as a cool combiner that is unique.

2. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

They're like less pretentious masterpiece cars*. Real world alt modes with boxy G1 robots. I wish we could somehow get more.

*Make no mistake, I love the MPs. Just like that these come with less fanboy rage about fishing rods.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I've been procrastinating finishing this set. I've had Grindrod, Aurora, and Trace since their initial release, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on the last three.

Not sure quite why. I LOVE the look of Goldbug, but am less enthused about the other two. I've got zero interest in the combined mode... though at least in this case it doesn't seem like the designs were compromised to accommodate it (like, say, the Toyworld Dinobots). Also reluctant given all the negative feedback I've read about Sideload's annoying transformation.

But I gotta just power through and finish the set. It's weird to just have half of it.

4. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have them for sale if interested ;) 

5. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I've got the four limb boys. But I have no interest in the truck, and much as I love the shinebug figure, I just can't bring myself to pay the probe that includes $30 of combiner parts I'll never use. A real bummer.

6. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

Don't let the bad rap he's gotten fool you. The transformation IS daunting the first few times, but with a little care and intuition you can feel your way through pretty easily. I've transformed him several times without the instructions so far and once you get it down it's not really all that hard.

7. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Robot and truck mode weren't all that bad. It was the damn torso transformation that gave me all kinds of problems. If you don't care about combined mode, you should be OK.

8. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Just got Sideload, his wheels keep popping off, TW used screws there yet the screw heads are grooveless so I can't use a screwdriver to tighten them... anyone know how to get them back in or has anyone tried going to the hardware store to replace the screws?

9. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Use a wood burning tool or another tool to heat up the end of the screw head. In a few seconds the screw will heat up and transfer to the plastic surrounding the screw and allow you to push the screw further in and stop it from falling off. I have done this several times to replace plastic wheels with rubber ones. Good luck.

10. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Hmmm that's interesting, thanks for the feedback, how long would you need to do that for, a matter of seconds?

11. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a replacement it takes about 30 or so but for what you want to do I would say 20. The key is to place the point of the burner on the screw head and apply a little force down so when the plastic has heated up enough the screw does now warp the surrounding plastic. I would practice on a junker bot if you have one and attempt to pull a wheel off to see how the process goes and what to not do when it's a figure you are worried about damaging.

12. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

ok cool, thanks :) 

13. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Thanks to a bit of a lull in other product, I decided to pick up the rest of these, and I'm glad I did.

I have to say, I didn't find Sideload as difficult as his reputation advised, Peaugh's excellent video review helped a lot with that one.

Shinebug is definitely one of the best real-world car transformers including Masterpieces, in my opinion. Even if you don't go in for any of the other cars, I think he's probably the best stand-alone toy of the six.

I still have Freeway on its way from Ebay - there's a seller who has that plus the bonus gold gun. They're all pretty decently affordable as well - considering it's an elaborate six-team combiner, it's nice to be able to get it for under $400. It helps that Aurora can be gotten for cheap.

While I'm not a big fan of the combiner kibble having nowhere to go in any other modes, it's great combiner kibble, and really solves a lot of problems by separating out the shoulders, knees, fists and feet so that the joints are very robust and sturdy. Nearly everything plugs in well for combiner mode, and I'm a fan of how well both Sideload and Shinebug attach to the head and shoulder piece.

As a long time LA resident, I'm a fan of 'Gridlock' for the combiner name too. Considering these are somewhat real-world cars, at least the types of the cars if not the exact models, I can definitely see these guys blending into city traffic well.

In my mind, this is one of the more successful applications of third party transformers - take some characters that never had decent toys, and make some very good toys out of them. The fact that they combine is even nicer.

Tim
    "toy geek"

14. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just saw this in episode 35 of Headmasters and had to laugh:

[​IMG]

Searchlight - "I almost have him..."

Freeway - "Hey guys, this isn't working. Maybe we should see about being made into a combiner?"

Chase - "I could be an arm! Yeah, and I'd carry a big gun..."

Goldbug - "Maybe we should ask for new car alternate modes while we are at it? As if! Now keep fighting!"

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  15. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Knight of the Round Table

Ebay:
    you're going to love the set once you have all of it

16. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I wish you
    Could get it as a stand alone figure. I really want to pick it up, but I can't justify paying that much for a figure with a bunch of parts I'll never use.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh, look... a rare image of a G1 Combiner being shown at roughly a correct size, instead of at a Godzilla scale. :) 

zmog

18. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I always found it annoying that combiners seemed to magically grow...

[​IMG]

19. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Well, Megatron and Soundwave and Blaster and Perceptor and Broadside and the cassettes could all change size.

Heck, in Bruticus' case, maybe the Combaticons all had to grow in order to match Blast-Off's size!

20. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Best theory I've ever heard.