Toyworld TW-01 Hegemon

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by kaseycuyler, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

---Kasey Cuyler’s review of Toyworld's TW-01 Hegemon---
    My first review EVER!! Big thanks to Roger Olver of Hands of Steel for hooking me up with this figure!

[​IMG]

Packaging
    [​IMG]
    Hegemon comes is a nice box full of Japanese (?) writing that I can't read which is always fun =P. It has a nice large window so you can see most if not all of the figure while in box for those of you that collect MISB figures. No way would I have ever been able to keep him in box. The box shows all of your normal product shots which are standard these days.

***Good***
    Nice clear view of the figure for those of you that collect MISB

***Bad***
    My box was damaged slightly and the figure's cannon arm was loose and moving around in the box. Not sure if that is shipping’s fault or not
    [​IMG]
    ^^^My packaging...vvv Normal packaging
    [​IMG]

Accessories
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hegemon comes with 4 accessories: The Energon mace with a metal chain, the huge Energon sword, a base to place the weapons on (doubles as the stock in gun mode), and finally the silencer which comes apart into 3 pieces and is completely useless in robot mode. The Energon mace has the long chain but it can go inside the mace part and actually pegs into the pole holding it so you can use it to like Bulkhead does. Also the sword comes apart completely removing all the purple parts. This means you can take one of the small purple parts and put it on the hilt and make a dagger like weapon or put the purple parts on the sides upside down and make a pick axe.

***Good***
    The Energon mace is amazing and gives you the option of a mace w/chain or a club like mace. The sword is evil looking and goes well with Hegemon. The Stock folds up to make a storage platform for the weapons (except for the Silencer). It even has notches for the mace to slide into so that it holds secure.
    [​IMG]

***Bad***
    No storage for the silencer at all. The Energon sword is nice but just doesn’t fit Megatron’s character unless you are into robots with oversized swords. The Energon mace has a peg in the box part that goes into Hegemon’s hand but the peg is slightly bigger than it should be resulting in popping off Hegemon’s hand every time if you push the mace too far down. If you don’t push it all the way down it isn’t flush and doesn’t look right.

Robot mode
    [​IMG]

It is 100% clear that this is Megatron. He is amazingly G1 looking. Size wise, he is a little taller than Voyager Classics Optimus Prime but not much taller. He also is perfect scale wise with TFC’s Hercules figure. He comes with his giant cannon for his arm which is removable if you wish. He also has the gun barrel attached to the back like the cartoon Megatron does and that is also removable. He has great articulation and strong ratchets especially in the legs along with ball joint feet so posing him is no problem at all.

***Good***
    G1 Accuracy. He has great light piping in the head for glowing red eyes. He is just about a perfect Classics sized figure and looks great with Hercules. He is a sturdy figure and poses great and also holds the poses you put him in; does not seem floppy. If you add a Decpticon logo to his chest he is complete.

***Bad***
    He has a good amount of back kibble due to the flaps the cover the hips in gun mode and the trigger itself. I don’t understand why but he has a lot of unneeded translucent red plastic especially in the back of the legs. He is pretty ugly in general from a back view. My biggest problem is the flaps that open to put his head inside aren’t attached very well and they don’t hold together well. When trying to move the head, they have a tendency to come apart.

Transformation

This figure has an amazing Transformation. When you look at the robot you can see some parts of the gun but its not obvious how he transforms. You do a few clicks, a few pushes, and a few spins and there he is in his gun mode. The instructions are very clear on what you need to do and even specifically say what you are transforming at that time.

***Good***
    This comes with very detailed instructions to make the transformation easy as pie. The transformation does have just the right amount of difficulty to make it fun to transform and not boring. If lined up right, everything snaps and holds tight in position and you can shake the gun around without it falling apart.

***Bad***
    There are some parts that get in the way of others while transforming to the point where it is easier to pop them off and attach later. Getting the hip cover parts to line up with the handle and then to stay in place to attach the handle to the gun is a pain and they don’t stay on tight until it is all put together. There are also parts that you have to be careful with as it feels like you could break the figure like when you move the one arm across the body on this thin bar.

Gun Mode
    See post #4 for more detailed gun pictures.
    [​IMG]
    This is definitely one of those figures I’m tempted to leave in alternate mode. Hegemon has a beautiful gun mode that looks almost like the real thing. He comes packaged with the orange cap that easily pops right off. If you aren’t happy with a small gun, you can add the long silencer and “gun stock” to him for extra size and a more G1 feel to him.

***Good***
    The scope is see-through so you can pretend to be a sniper. It feels and looks life size. It has a working trigger and working safeties which are nice touches that they didn’t have to include.

***Bad***
    Due to the way he is designed, the scope is way back on the gun so that it hangs off to the back but doesn’t go forward enough for it to look right. It would be nice if it slid up somehow. My trigger is also loose and barely springs back but that may be due to the spring not being tight enough. There are also a few noticeable gaps in spots but that was hard to avoid with the way he transforms.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
    [​IMG]
    This figure is great and tons of fun to have in hand. He has nice accessories. Man does he have a badass gun mode too. If you are lacking a Megatron figure in your collection or even have a Megatron, I’d still recommend this. This was a great first figure for Toyworld to make. I do hope they use a little better quality plastic on their future figures and include a lot less translucent plastic (except on the head which they did perfect light piping wise.) If you are going to get this figure, you will love it. I DO NOT recommend paying much more than $100 for this figure as it starts to get not worth it any more. eBay prices will get ridiculous so just watch out for them. If you need to know where to get these figures you can visit Toyworld’s website here to see where they are sold.

I’d just like to say thank you for reading my first ever review and once again a HUGE thanks to Roger for hooking me up with this awesome figure!

Feel free to add any comments about my review about how it could be better or just comments in general. As this is my first ever review i'd love to hear comments!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review!

Can we see some more pics of the gun mode? Mabye a side shot?

Thanks!

3. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

Yeah i'll post some...I started this review in gun mode then transformed to robot mode but forgot to take more pics in gun mode >_<

I'll get right on that

4. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

Gun without scope
    [​IMG]
    Gun with scope
    [​IMG]
    Gun with silencer
    [​IMG]
    Gun with silencer and stock (biggest size)
    [​IMG]
    Gun in hand
    [​IMG]
    Full size gun in hand
    [​IMG]

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you kind sir.

I seen the first pics and was pretty underwhelmed..Then I seen it in your hand! WOW! that IS awesome! No orange tip either! I am a gun nut, and although it does not look very much like a P38 anymore, its still real cool.

fyi, Thats not a "silencer" per say, That is more like a barrel extension. There are alot of kits (older but still out there) for pistols to turn them into a carbine. I have only seen one personally and it was on a 1911, with a threaded barrel.

I really like it. I have been watching this for awhile now. Been wanting a MP Megatron for years now, and just cant pull the trigger on him (no pun...ennhh..) I think this would be a great stand in for a G1 looking megatron without the problems associated with the MP.

Seeing this, I would really like to see what they could do with a shockwave!

Thanks again for taking the time to snap some gun mode pics. For your next "review" you should hold up a party store to test if it truly is a "robot in disguise'!

LOL...NO...dont do that..just kidding. "But officer, I was just showing the clerk my new transformer! isnt it cool?" Stupid orange tips...

6. Illmatic

Illmatic Well-Known Member

Just got mine in from Chimungmung. Amazing figure I must say! However, I have one issue: I can't get his right shoulder to pop back into place. I've seen video reviews where others have been able to get that shoulder peg to pop in and out with no prob. Not sure if maybe I got his shoulder positioned wrong to do this?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  7. audio321

audio321 Well-Known Member

The scope is actually in the correct place for the gun it is supposed to represent (Walther P38 U.N.C.L.E. Special).

The U.N.C.L.E. Special

[​IMG]

8. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: This figure is not an official Transformer from Hasbro or Takara-Tomy, but rather from 3rd party provider Toyworld. He’s obviously meant to be G1 Megatron, but for legal reasons he can’t be called by that name.

Robot Mode
    : No doubt about it, this is Megatron as we saw him in the G1 Cartoon series. So far no other toy figure I’ve seen has captured the image of the Decepticon leader from the original series better than this one here, not even the Masterpiece version. Okay, he’s missing the Decepticon logo on his chest due to legal reasons, but that’s easily remedied with a sticker and I’m sure Reprolabels will bring out a set for this guy sooner or later. So bottom line: this here is Megatron.

Scale-wise he’s fully compatible with the Classics figures, standing a tad taller than Classics Optimus Prime. So now Optimus can finally re-enact many of the classic cartoon battles with Megatron. Hegemon is very nicely articulated, leaving little room to complaint. He also carries Megatron’s classic Morning Star weapon, which he can attach to either fist. He also has a huge sword with him, which I personally wouldn’t have needed, but it’s a nice extra. The big fusion cannon / scope on his right arm can detach if you want it. Both extra weapons can be stored onto a small platform that transforms into the shoulder stock for the gun mode.

There really is nothing bad I can say about this figure. If you want to nitpick, well, the head isn’t on a ball joint and the thighs don’t solidly lock into place when you extend them out from the lower legs / pistol grip, but that’s pretty much all I can think of. In all other matters: a superb G1 Megatron robot.

Alternate Mode: Hegemon transforms into a Walther P-38 complete with silencer, scope, and shoulder stock. And just in case you wondered: the transformation is far, far, far, faaaar easier than that of Masterpiece Megatron. It’s a tad more complex than that of the original toy, but not by much. So transforming him back and forth isn’t a big thing and the gun is actual size, meaning it fits well into an adult’s hand. Just don’t take it to any airports or... you know... America, and you’ll be fine. Just in case you can’t avoid that, there is an orange safety cap included, so there’s a fifty-fifty chance you won’t be shot on sight.

Both G1 Megatron and MP Megatron had pretty narrow robot mode legs because the legs had to combine into the gun’s grip; Hemegon avoids that by connecting the legs by their backs, not their sides. The grip is still a bit thicker than you’d expect of a normal gun, but it’s a trade-off I’m more than willing to make in order to enjoy Hegemon’s properly-sized robot legs. The gun’s trigger can be pulled, you can look through the scope, and you can run around the house making “BANG! BANG!” noises, too. Rather quiet “BANG! BANG” noises, of course, seeing as it’s a silenced pistol. Just don’t take it... you know. Don’t want you to get shot, after all.

Bottom line: While G1 Megatron’s gun mode looks a tad more realistic than this one, it’s still pretty great. And don’t ask me for comparison pics with Masterpiece Megatron’s gun mode, you won’t get any. I’ll never transform that MP figure again in this life.

Remarks: Boy has Megatron gotten complaints about his alternate mode. Size shifting is nonsense they said. Kids shouldn’t play with realistic-looking guns, they said. What good is an alternate mode that is useless without another Decepticon present to pull the trigger? All valid points, but still: G1 Megatron is a gun, period! While there have been great Megatrons with different alternate modes, the original, classic Megatron is a gun. And Hegemon here is easily the best gun-Megatron I’ve seen yet. He’s not as oversized and complicated as Masterpiece Megatron, he doesn’t have the huge wings of Classics Megatron, and he actually looks like the cartoon character (unlike G1 Megatron).

So bottom line: if you’re a fan of the original G1 Decepticon leader and have been looking for the perfect version of him, look no further. Just go and buy this toy here. Megatron demands it!

Rating: A