ToyWorld Hegemon (TW-01)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by supervir2, Jun 18, 2012.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure others will post more (and MUCH better) pics...if you have any requests, please ask!

The quick and dirty:

Robot mode: The overall aesthetic of this guy captures Megatron (for me) far more than any other G1 rendition to date (MP Megs is debatable). The face, in particular, is exceptional. He has tons of articulation, mostly on ratchet joints. The legs move forward, backwards, and sideways. The hip kibble can sits on the sides or swivel around to the back, hiding behind his legs. This doesn't really hinder much given most of the time we don't pose out figures with a leg swinging back. The arms are generously mobile...wrist swivels, bicep swivels, a joint at the bottom of the shoulder block allows each arm to swing outward, the shoulders rotate forward and back, forward and back elbows. The left arm can swing out from the shoulder on a transformation joint while the right cannot (though has the aforementioned lower outward movement). The head can rotate as well as swiveling up and down making it VERY emotive. Lastly, also a transformation joint, the upper torso can swivel. My biggest gripe is that the R arm and the muzzle on his back attempt to occupy the same space at times. The muzzle is removable which allows you to move the arm then replace the muzzle, but range of motion is a little limited as a result (though, not meaningfully in my mind).

The gray plastic is swirled somewhat, but there are no palpable defects. The figure is generally very sturdy, well-balanced, and has a great heft to him. He just feels substantial.

Transformation: There is more going on than meets the eye. Ultimately, everything snaps together quite well. There is a fairly defined sequence for certain portions as parts must move past one another in certain configurations. The muzzle nearly partsforms, but can stay attached to the peg and move into position (I apologize for my initial misrepresentation there). A very satisfying and effective transformation, if a little finicky.

Gun mode: As noted, quite sturdy. Some evidence that it is a transformer (hinges mainly), but quite effective nonetheless. You can pull the trigger and look through the scope. The silencer snaps around the muzzle securely and the stock...well, the gun basically balances on the end of it as far as I can tell. There is a tab that "slots" into the bottom of the gun, but it is the least secure connection of the entire set.

Overall, to me, this is the definitive G1 Megatron for a classics collection . Robot mode truly captures Megatron's poses and the face is the first to capture his likeness (again, my opinion). He is a bit larger than classics prime and smaller than faith leader, leaving him in a bit of a no man's land, however as they'll never be posed next to one another in my collection (i keep my factions separate), he will work great. I'll take likeness over scale issues in most cases.

Oh - that orange cap? Pops right off.

Robot mode: A (hindered only by the R shoulder clearance issues w/ the muzzle)
    Gun mode: A-
    Transformation: B+ (inventive, snaps together, and effective, but a bit fiddly)

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Too bad about the partsforming...

3. supervir2

News Credits:
    It doesn't kill it for me, but it was a little disappointing, particularly because it doesn't seem necessary. Where it ends up if you don't remove it is a few millimeters and a rotation away from where it ends up.

EDIT: in my haste, I mistakenly thought it had to come off, but it actually CAN stay on the peg and get into position. BIG mea culpa on that point.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    So you just plug it there in both modes?

5. supervir2

News Credits:
    There is a peg that it pops onto on his back that allows it to swivel and pop off if needed. That peg also, swivels to the side. When in gun mode, that peg is adjacent to where the muzzle ends up, so were you to leave it on, it would virtually be where you remove it and plug it into. To your question though...you can partsform it, but it doesn't have to

6. mgtron1

mgtron1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So which do you consider the better figure....United Megatron of Hegemon?

7. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

Are you able to adjust where the scope sits in alt mode? All the photos I've seen have it all the way back which looks really off. It should be farther forward and really throws off the alt mode in the photos I've seen.

8. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you're saying that partsforming is not nessasary, but makes it easier? The muzzle can be transformed without removing it?

EDIT: I just read you update, so no partsforming, cool.

Anyway thank you for doing a review, everything looks great, Extra thank you for the size comparison shots. I can't wait to have mine.

9. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :rock  Awesome! You put my worries to ease.

10. supervir2

News Credits:
    I wasn't saying that - when I went through the first time, it seemed as though it had to come off, but it actually doesn't have to, so partsforming is not necessary, though possible

11. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand. Thank you the update, and review.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What peg size weapons do his fists hold?

13. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Sweet, thanks for the review!
    Can't wait for mine to arrive. Also can't wait until Reprolabels make a set for him. He looks great. Now after their IDW Optimus, Toyworld needs to make a Galvatron in this size class!

14. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Got mine this morning. The parcel was intercepted by Australian customs for 24 hours but wasn't even opened, so I guess that means he's all good to import to Oz (never mind that you could probably rob a bank much more successfully with this guy than with the comically oversized MP Megatron). He's pretty damn cool, and I'd certainly mirror the positive comments so far. The orange cap fell off on it's own :thumbs2: 

My only little niggles so far are as follows.

Firstly, there's already a tiny bit of plastic stress on the ball joint socket for the waist flap thingies. The ball pops out very easily which makes transformation a bit of a pain. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Another issue is that the tabs used for gun mode (of which there are many) are a little bit too snug. It was very hard to get this guy lined up just nicely and took a lot of force to get it to stick together. This will probably be a good thing over time, as the tabs should hold together tighter for longer this way. But it does make one nervous when handling a $100+ toy with that much force. But MP Megatron's tabs snapped for most people the first time they transformed him :lol 

Some joints are a little looser than I'd like, the arm cannon in particular swivels a little too easily. Not enough to wreck poseability but it will move very easily if bumped. The main weight bearing joints are good however.

I like that the muzzle, trigger and scope can all be removed for transformation and/or display. The option is there not to cheat for purists but it does make it a lot easier just to take them all off. The muzzle being off can bend over on his back out of view to make better room for his right arm to move.

I would also like to have seen a bit more weight on the stock, at the back end in particular. It's not enough counter balance to keep the gun upright on it's own, which is a shame because the gun mode is cool enough to warrant displaying on it's own. Pivoting the gun on the stock works, but looks a little odd.

The clear plastic elbows don't annoy me anywhere near as much as I thought they would, btw. I'll probably still paint them at some point but they're fine for now. The light piping to his eyes is wonderfully vibrant. I usually paint in blue or red eyes for my classics figures since there's rarely a light source behind the shelf, but Hegemon's eyes seem to catch the light really easily.

Overall I would recommend this guy to anyone looking for the best G1 Megatron available to date. Yes, he trumps MP Megs for me since he achieves both modes well, the robot mode is near perfect, whereas MP Megs was an anorexic mess. Hegemon even uses far less 'cheaty' strut transformation techniques (second only to parts-forming in my opinion).

15. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got this piece earlier this week, I love the gun mode as much as the robot mode. It is amazing and the best looking megatron this far in my opinion. And considering that this is toyworld 3rd party debut piece, it is actually very good! Transformation may not be as smooth as the official hasbro or Takara items but once everything tabs in place, it looks great both in gun and robot mode! I highly recommend this piece as well. Some 3rd party just don't get their work right even after doing many pieces.

And I choose to reply on this thread cos I think supervir is the first member who started the pictorial thread on this hegemon megatron, I think there are too many duplicate threads around not just for hegemon and for other stuff as well.

16. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the feedback I'm hearing here. I'm quite tempted to get one this weekend.

Can the hands hold 5mm/mechtech/micron weapons?

17. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Just got this guy

[​IMG]

Now to figure out if he or Shadow Commander gets Kingbat.

18. Bountyan

News Credits:
    Sweet, I wanted to know if he could hold the Kingbat spear mode

19. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    The fit is a little tight... not because the holes are small, but because Kingbat's pole is a bit thick (the only fist holes it seems to slide relatively easily into is Shadow Commander's). It's not 'stress the plastic' or 'break something' tight, though.

The spear mode isn't bad, but Kingbat's sword is a little terrifying. I'd recommend sanding it down a touch if you plan to use it. I wouldn't recommend sanding Hegemon's fist holes... the HOLES are the right size, this is a thing with Kingbat (Or at least it is with mine)

20. Bountyan

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've read other people saying that Kingbat has a bit of a tight fit, so if I get him I'll be sure to sand down the pegs a bit.