ToysRus Exclusive 6-Inch Titanium WWI Optimus Prime & Megatron 2-Pack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by netkid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, I finally found this set at the TRU in Warwick, RI. It cost me $30.00.
    I don't know whether to like or regret my decision.
    This review can pretty much be summed up in one quote:

"One Shall stand, one shall fall"

Read on to find out more...

I will be conducting this review like my Favorite toy reviewer, Michael Crawford of www.mwctoys.com. I just like the way he writes and structures his toy reviews.

So here we go...
    Packaging -
    A royal pain in the rear. You heard me. Both figures come in a very nice packaging that will make damn well sure nothing will harm your two figures. They both come in clear plastic trays made to conform to the general shape of each figure. First, upon opening the set up, you will have to untie some simple twist ties. By opening it up, you will also discover the instructions, a brochure for movie products, a brochure for Titanium Transformers, and your exclusive cover War Within comic book...folded in half *argh!* Then, you will have to cut the plastic tabs on these trays which are taped to the cardboard insert. Then you have to take care of the twist ties...AGAIN. However, this time it's like TWIST TIES: WITH A VENGEANCE! Seriously. I'm not kidding. You have to take care of smaller twist ties that are located underneath the plastic shells which hold your figures. You probably will use just your fingers to twist them undone. NOW HERE IS THE HARD PART. You will need some needle-nose pliers to untwist the very small ties that hold both figures' arms in place. These ties have been cut so that there is no excess tie to untwist from. They have their metal parts sticking out which, if you try to untwist them, will puncture your fingers and leave you in pain. My best solution is to use those pliers I mentioned earlier or just cut the bastards with scissors or a sharp knife.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium War Within Optimus Prime:

Sculpting -
    The sculpt on this figure is very well done. There are tons of small details all around including the name "DON" on Prime's blaster. I just wish his body was a bit wider to be more comic accurate. Unfortunately, this figure also falls in the sculpt category. His shoulders do not clip/hold together well while in robot mode, his ball& socket hip joints could be tighter, the articulation to raise his arms up and down could have been a little tighter (I'll explain this later. luckily they no longer swing around. now they have grip!), his hands could be tighter to stay out better, and his torso could be tighter so it would not be so floppy. His vehicle mode also has trouble staying together. His head tends to pop up the vehicle cockpit and the two pegs on his red metal shoulders have trouble staying in the two holes located on the cockpit part. The other two pegs located on his red metal shoulders that fit into the holes on each of his lower gray arms also have difficulty staying in. In vehicle mode, the torso also flops and has difficulty staying in to keep all 6 of his wheels touching the ground. His head popping up and the cockpit section also add to this issue. This figure has it's high points and it's low points.

Paint -

Compared to other single WWI Primes I used to see, this guy's paint is way better. However, this may differ from WWI Primes you have seen. The weathering/wash is evenly distributed and all his paint is spot on except for a small section on the left side of his faceplate (a little extra coverage). This area on his face plate did not bother me because it is so small and the other 12 2-Packs they had at the store were all like this.

Articulation -
    Like I mentioned earlier in the Sculpting department, Prime does suffer from some loose joints BUT they are no way as loose as his previous release. These joints are tighter but they could be even tighter. His arms no longer swing and flop around. The same can be said for his torso and hip joints. Prime can hold many poses with his articulation. The problem with Prime now, is how he holds together in both modes. In bot mode, his blue shoulders do not clip very well to the black wheel rims. The right one is not bad but his left shoulder piece barely clips in at all. It un-clips by just trying to move his arm. Not good if you like playing with your toys. The hands that slide out are also somewhat loose. They stay in and stay out but if you tap them, they move in just alittle until you actually push them in beyond the molded part in his forearms that either keep the hands in or out. As far as every other joint goes in bot mode, they are just right in tightness. not too tight and not too loose. They hold poses quite nicely. For the vehicle mode, ^see my comments made above in "sculpting"^.

Accessories -
    Prime comes with a silver blaster. On both sides of his blaster, you can find the name "DON" sculpted in! No stand for the figure is included. :( 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :thumbdown  THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR!::thumbdown 
    Paint is one thing. I only had to worry about buying a Prime with the best eye paint application. Everything else was fine on all the WWI Prime figures.

One thing I'd like to bring to the attention of people is the upper blue arm pieces on WWI Prime.
    They are either mis-assembled or in my case, have 2 of the same piece. There ARE right and left versions of these parts. Unfortunately I cannot determine what is "RIGHT" and "LEFT".

One part has 2 small squares on the LEFT side and one large square on it's RIGHT side.
    The backside of this part has one big square on the LEFT backside and one smaller square on the RIGHT backside.

The "other" part, has a large square on the LEFT side and 2 small squares on the RIGHT side.
    The backside of this part has one smaller square on the LEFT backside and one big square on the RIGHT backside.

Sibertron.com's WWI Prime has this problem and this problem on my figure is exactly the same as there's is:
    http://www.seibertron.com/toys/fullsize.php?id=901&size=1&image=49
    We both have:
    One part has 2 small squares on the LEFT side and one large square on it's RIGHT side.
    The backside of this part has one big square on the LEFT backside and one smaller square on the RIGHT backside.
    We have duplicates of this one part for BOTH our WWI Prime's left and right arms.

Remy's WWI Prime has the same problem but with the "other"/opposite pieces:
    http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=view&album=Collection/act415&pic=titan-prime16.jpg&dispsize=1000&start=0
    http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=view&album=Collection/act415&pic=titan-prime14.jpg&dispsize=1000&start=0
    Remy's WWI Prime has:
    The "other" part, has a large square on the LEFT side and 2 small squares on the RIGHT side.
    The backside of this part has one smaller square on the LEFT backside and one big square on the RIGHT backside.
    Remy has duplicates of this other/opposite part for BOTH his WWI Prime's left and right arms.

I discovered that this problem is on all 3 issues of this mold but I HAVE found a picture of a WWI Magnus who has both correct upper arm pieces.
    http://www.seibertron.com/toys/fullsize.php?id=1172&size=1&image=42
    This WWI Magnus has both correct parts.
    The RIGHT arm part has 2 small squares on it's LEFT side.
    The LEFT arm part has 2 small squares on it's RIGHT side.

^This is how the figure should be. With 2 individual upper arms pieces.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall -
    For the third release of this mold (WWI Prime, WWI Magnus, WWI Prime 2-Pack), Prime has had his issues addressed slightly but they could have been better. With those problems solved arose new ones. And taking into consideration the mix-up with his blue upper arm joints, I think this figure could have been much better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    REVIEW TO COME SOON!!!

Titanium War Within Megatron:
    Sculpting -
    Paint -
    Articulation -
    Accessories -
    THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR!:
    Overall -

Value -
    For $30.00 or $15.00 each, this set could have been better when it came to Prime. Even with the fixes, his incorrect part on his upper arms really detracts the score. Megatron is worth your money, but not Prime. Prime still suffers from problems but Megatron on the other hand is fine. So is it really worth $30.00? That's for you to decide. I don't think so and I may actually return my set. I really wanted it for Prime and for him to have so many issues, it just doesn't feel worth it. The toys articulation is good for posing only, but as toys themselves to play around with and move parts, Prime could have been MUCH MUCH better. Megatron on the other hand, is a good "play around" toy AND a good toy to just pose on your shelf. Prime is only good for posing and not even moving. Heck, he has trouble just staying together in either mode.

Where to Buy: You can find this 2-Pack at your local ToysRus store retailing @ $30.00 USD.

2. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I just got the guy. My arms are misasembled, but I did not even notice them. Doesnt effect the over all toy.

My Prime's only flaw is the loose chest. Arms and legs are great. Sculpt and Paint are top notch.

Megs is perfect. While the TF is indeed half assed, I love him. He owns. Not as heavy as Prime and is much more tighter. Nothing pops off what so ever.

I give it an 7 out of ten. I did not own either of these guys when I bought this. I was planningo n using my money to buy the WWI paper back, but I can get that later. Considering for 30 bucks I got two TITs, a Comic issue, and a Spyshot 6, I feel it was worth it. If I were you guys, pick it up before Saturday. That way you can get the free Real Gear!

3. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Maybe I should return my Set then. My Prime's left arm doesn't even clip itself to the rest of his body when in robot mode. It just sits there. Overall, I'm not very impressed by Prime. Mine is a bit floppy.

Megatron on the other hand, is excellent.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Finally picked this one up since I never saw the original release of Prime, and figured it would be my only chance to get Megatron.

Overall, they're the same as I see the rest of the 6Ti line - Cool for display, and they happen to (barely) transform....and let me stress the word "display" - don't &$#@^%ing touch them, or they'll probably fall over :D  I never expected more, so it's hard to be disappointed. I have really enjoyed this line for some strange reason.

Still, I am very very annoyed that this set does not include the stands that all the other figures have. I guess I'll end up picking up the cheapest Autobot and Decepticon models from HTS and changing names on them....unless I luck out and find the older Megatron model and one of the Optimus ones cheaper.

Oh, and not only was the comic folded in the bottom of the box, but the clear tape used for the plastic flaps managed to stick to the back of the comic, so that got torn up when it was unpacked.

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Are the Titaniums the most bitched about line? I want to get some, but every review makes me hold off

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    As I have mentioned before, I think it really depends on what you're expecting to get.

If you're looking for cool transformations, solid models, or durability, forget it. The line is famous for toys that fall apart, have the simplest transformations around (seriously, WW Megatron and Scourge...there just isn't a transformation process at all), they can be floppy, clunky, and some of them have worse-than-G1-articulation.

If you're looking for good looking models, characters and modes you don't see anywhere else, or miss the old-fashioned feel of a heavy chunk of metal in your toys, then they're perfect. One or two of them even manage to be better than their original toys (Rodimus and Scourge IMO). I love them, but it's been frustrating...some of them have been better than others, the line has been very inconsistent, none of them will ever match the main lines, and even if the last few models make it out of the factory, the line is a dead end.

Ever since I bought Thundercracker and started collecting the line, I wanted them just for the unique models and to display them in their robot modes...pure display pieces, just like all the other titanium toys made for TF, Star Wars, and Marvel.

On that train of thought, Ops and Megs fulfill their destinies here...(if they had their stands) they will be fine as display pieces.

If you want some of them and you don't have any illusions about what you're getting, then you will probably like them. If you try to compare them to Cybertron, Classics, Alts, or movie toys, then you will be disappointed.

8. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Don't waste your money. My first Titanium was Unicron and his articulation joints were totally fused together. I ended up tearing his lower right arm off when I tried to move it.

My 3-inch Generation One Optimus Prime is great, but he's got okay paint.

I got another Unicron to replace the broken one, he's fine.

My 2-pack is alright. Prime has loose joints and incorrect upper arm parts (but this seems to be a very widespread issue). Read my review to get an idea.

I bought a 3-inch movie Venom. He has excellent paint. Now here's the real bummer:
    I tried to pose him because HE TOTALLY LOOKS like he has articulated arms, neck and waist...BUT HE DOESN'T!!!!! I tried to move his waist first, only to have his whole torso split in half! And his torso is made of only one piece! At first I though his torso was 2 parts since it appeared to have a joining line (but that was just a mold mark) and separated because of weak glue, but it's only 1 part and it split. So then just for the hell of it (since the toy is now already broken beyond repair), I tried to see if his arms and neck moved (since they appear to be able to...). THEY DON'T. I also ended up separating those from their glued posts (I didn't tear them off, they just came off the posts they are glued to that are located on the torso piece).
    So yeah, the 3-inch Titanium Venom DOES NOT MOVE at all!!!!!

Overall, the Titanium line was made and developed by the Micro Machines team of the Hasbro owned Galoob. Personally, I think they could have done a much better job with not only their toys, but also the Quality Control regarding paint applications, unstuck joints, and proper toy assembly. I did once come across a Titanium Viper from the Battlestar Galactica sub-line that was missing all it's paint and decals.

However, I fell that they have learned from past mistakes and that the figures in the line slowly improved in time. It's a shame though that the Transformers section of the line will be going away. Especially after seeing the 4 beautiful prototypes displayed to us on the HASBRO tour. These included a very true-to-character Generation One Shockwave, Generation One Arcee, War-Within BumbleBee, and Classics Cosmos. All figures fans have been screaming for (for a while) to be made. I hope that someday we can finally enjoy these wonderful figures in another line such as the upcoming UNIVERSE.

I always have felt that Titanium catered best to, and was really meant for only Star Wars. Marvel, Battlestar Galactica, and Transformers always seemed to be catered to less in terms of quality, availability, and number of products featured in the line.

So basically, if you like their Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica stuff, then yeah delve into Titanium at your own risk. The quality control is still in question. The rest of the stuff seems off par from my experience in both terms of quality, appeal, and offerings.
    Oh and where the hell are the 3-inch Titanium Gen. 1 Soundwaves, Cliffjumpers, and Alternators Sunstreakers? The Soundwave at least seems worth releasing. He IS a new mold after all.

9. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't believe the rolled & folded the exclusive comic like that.
    It should have been integrated into that bland background.
    That was my incentive to buy these figures again. Only to get an exclusive cover that is basically worthless right out the package...
    Foolish Hasbro, give us incentive to buy figures we already have, with no repaints and ruin the very item before it leaves the factory.

THANKS.

10. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Easy Solution: Flatten it out with a big ass book.

11. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Don't equate the 3" Titaniums with the 6" Titaniums. Other than both being labeled "Titanium" and using some diecast, they are different lines.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I finally found and bought this set, and god damn, what a mistake that was. prime is the loosest piece of crap I have ever touched. I've had bootleg TFs that held together better. his shoulders arent even able to fold all the way into position in robot mode. megatron's legs don't stay together in vehicle mode, and his arms don't stay attached to his body in either mode.

what a terrible, terrible purchase. :( 

13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must have been lucky, because my Ti WWI Prime is just fine in all departments. Okay, the silver paint details aren't great, but it's a solid, chunky prime that poses well enough.

And then there's Ultra Magnus. I held off on this for ages before deciding to buy it, and he's ace. I never cared much for the character, but this rendition is amazing. Even the "too far back" arms aren't a major hindrance.

Basically you get what you pay for, and for the money the two Ti's I've bought were just fine.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

That's my titanium prime in robot mode, standing up the best it can.

15. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    CRAP! I REALLY shouldn't be one to complain then, because both mine can take poses far greater than ^that^!

Here are my figures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They can be put into more dynamic poses, like what you see in Hasbro's product pictures.

Wow. You don't know how good you got it until you see what the other guy has.