Toyshops in Kenya, Africa or Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by flywheels, Jul 27, 2006.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys,

I'm headed to Kenya, Africa this weekend w/ my wife and a few people from my church and I was wondering if anyone on the boards here knew of toy shop anywhere in Kenya. Yeah, I know it's a long shot but what the heck!

Also, on the way back we've got a day + layover in Amsterdam. I was there about 5 years ago and someone on-line pointed me towards a shop, but I have no idea where it is now. Anything near the airport? Or will I have to take a train to the train depot to get to the majority of retail shopping?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I really miss the rain there

Would've never imagined TF's being sold in Kenya, but would be hella cool if they are.
    Hope you have a smooth trip there n back.

3. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Should've seen the Toto reference coming! :D  Thanks for the kind words...I'm looking more forward to this trip than I was for the mail man to deliver my Brave Maximus back a few years ago!

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Airport is fairly far out of town, the upside is the train station is literally right under it. The Train journey into town is about half an hr IIRC, and there's a station right across from the centre of the city.

I've not been in Amsterdam in a good 4 years, at the time there was one large department store near the train station, which had some toys, other than that i literally found nothing,

I suspect most of the toy shops may be further out of Town...

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    *hugs CM*

have a nice trip flywheels d00d.

6. Devvi

Devvi Member

Not much has changed in the past five years so I can pretty much give you the same advice as I did about five years ago :) 

You'll need to take the train from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam central station first. From there it's about 15 minutes walk to A Space Oddity (http://www.spaceoddity.nl) which is located at Prinsengracht 204. It's best to simply find a map when you're there or look up that address online before you go. Just around the corner from Space Oddity there's a comic store which carries a fair amount of action figures and collectables, forgot the name of the store right now.

It's probably not much use trying a "regular" toystore. They hardly carry anything. I know there's another comic store in Amsterdam somewhere in the red light district but I forgot the name and address. I don't think it's a good idea to ask about that store though, asking for toys in a red light district will probably get you somewhere entirely different :) 

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything!

Devvi

7. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

There's also a small toystore in amsterdam airport. I got my cybertron clocker(skids?) there last december.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The comic book store's name is Vandal Comix. It has a bright yellow sign with red letters, so you can't really miss it. Both Vandal and Oddity are quite expensive when it comes to Transformers, though.

9. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah ha! I knew that store I had visited last time I was there started w/ a V. The store owner @ Vandal was very nice and enjoyed talking about all things toys/comics, esp. coming from an american's viewpoint. Hopefully I can make my way back out there again.

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nothing to offer you but some singalong with CM, but I wish you a safe trip :)