Toys you would actually get for a kid...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LadySunflower, Nov 8, 2008.

1. LadySunflower

LadySunflower New Member

So, Christmas is coming up, and my second cousins are finally old enough where I can get them the Cool Toys. So of course, I am going to get them Transformers. =D

But I look around at the collection I have...and I honestly can't say they would be good toys for a five/six year olds...and more importantly, I don't want to be spending $50 a pop.

So I need some recs - toys that can take a beating and aren't crappy, are in a good price range ($30 max, really) - and furthermore, are really neat (shoot missiles, or some other gimmick).

Thanks in advance for any help! :) 

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Roll Out and command prime is PERFECT for kids if your willing to shell out for it. If your kids are fans of bumblebee, they big bumblebee (whatever its called...) should be fine. Of course, theres activators.

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Good Price Range man, not Expensive.

I reccomend two Random deluxe class from the Movie line.

If I know 5 year olds (And I do) they'll be happy and won't care about gimmicks.

4. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Activators are cheap.

5. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I was talking about ROCP and ULTBB

6. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

I didnt mean Ultimate BB I mean the animated,(powerbot?) one.

7. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Oh.

Sorry bruh

8. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    How old are they?
    If they're about five I probably wouldn't get them a movie mold.
    While activators are cool, I don't think they're exciting enough for a Xmas present.

A Universe or Aniamted deluxe would probably do, so would one of the deluxes from the movie line that are redecos from older lines.

Although this is just coming from me channeling my younger self. I haven't really dealt with that many younger kids recently, so I don't really know what they're interested in.

9. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I'd get them FABs. Cheap, easy to tf and look enough like their movie counterparts to keep kids happy.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Do not buy roll out & command optimus prime !

I'd not recommend Role Out Command to anyone it's a horrible toy.
    The front wheels are a pain to peg in properly, the belly drags on the floor it makes madness inducing noises all the time and his arm is stuck in a bent position. - don't buy it.

That toy is horrible personified.

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Activators Bumblebee is groovy - I think The forthcoming/recently released Grimlock is also supposed to be quite good.

The problem with FAB's is that some don't fit together to well especially Ratchet and Bumblebee, I can see a lot of kids poppin' barricade's arms off, Blackout falls over to easily. Optimus is pretty decent and reasonably kid proof, Megatron is oK but a bit ugly and his vehicle mode is unexciting, Frenzy is far to fiddly for young kids, Jazz is alright but not great, Starscream is a bit rubbish.

Some of the Universe or Movie toys might be suitable for kids, Stockade, Walmart Big Daddy, Highscore, Wiretap, Spyshot, That repaint of Classic Jetfire seems reasonably kid proof.

Generally speaking Movie toys are a bit fiddly or delicate, Animated toys sometimes have negative product quality issues - Take Ratchet for example - a great toy but I hear a good many people have had problems with his legs falling off.

Heck I'm tempted to say that nothing is suitable for under 5's at all it would either break or disappoint them - so perhaps it's better to chase up some Playskool GoBots or look for A.E.C. Molds - they tend to be a bit more kid proof overall.

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If they are actually interested in Transformers, it'd probably be best to get their favourite TFA characters. If they aren't patient type Activators will be better than Deluxes (because they'll bother their mum or dad every time they get stuck halfway transforming the toys :tongue: ).

If they don't know much about TFs, Armada Hotshot is always a great first Transformer. My son says so.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I recommend Activators Animated Starscream.

14. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    FWIW - My son just turned 4 last weekend and I got him the activators Bumblebee and Legends class Red Alert as his first real Transformers. Both are easy transformations and he picked up how to do them in a very short time. He loves them ... I have Activators Starscream and Legends Jazz waiting for him for Christmas! If you are looking for something bigger (and if you can still find it in your area) then the Walmart exlusive Breakaway has the exact same transformation as the legends class red alert but is a deluxe size.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My niece is almost six and she's got a Cyber Speed Bumblebee coming her way this Christmas. :) 
    I was gonna get her a deluxe TF:A Bumblebee, but even I find him a bit fiddly sometimes. I might just stick an Activators Bumblebee in with the Cyber Speed one so she has a transforming 'Bee as well since he's her favourite character.

Legends figures are pretty fun for little kids too.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think the Walmart Cybertron molds are a good buy, they are more Durable than Movie toys and have virtually no production problems that the Animated ones are plagued with.

That said Animated Shockwave is a quite good, Maybe Grimlock as well.

17. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I have three little boys(3, 6, almost 9). The three year old sometimes sneaks one of my movie deluxes off of the shelf while the wife isn't in the room and transforms it. Correctly. It's scary really.

My point? Don't underestimate the tots, they're much more dexterous than we give them credit for.

18. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Animated activators are really good for kids. That little autotransformation is endlessly entertaining.

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I think the Animated Deluxes are fine. I haven't actually held any, but the activators seem more flimsy than the deluxes.

For anyone else who has younger fans, my 3 year old loves Robot Heroes and Bumper Battlers. The bumper guys take a serious thrashing too.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Battle begins Optimus vs Megatron and whatever's warming up the shelves on clerance or the activators.