Toys with Spring-loaded weapons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Back in the 80's, the original Transformers toys all pretty much had spring-loaded weapons. Recently, the TRU reissued Transformers have lost that function. Yet, I'm seeing a bunch of other toys with it. Even the new movie figures and CHUG series have them.
    So I'm wondering, why did we collectors of G1 reissues got left out?
    Yea, I know about the safety administration blah, blah, blah and all that. But why would they ban a feature on some figures, but not all?
    Part of the fun of Transformers and other such toys was the ability of firing off your plastic missile!

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Cost

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it is that big of a deal, you could open them and replace the springs. Pen springs work nicely.

4. Tigertrack

Never thought about that. Thank's MidnightBliss.
    Still my point is I always assumed it was a safety issue with kids getting hurt from shooting them self in the face. That would make sense. But again, why only some toys and not all toys?

5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'd honestly prefer that none of the figures had spring loaded missile launchers because the missiles get lost easily, and because the missiles have to be molded to a certain length and shape to meet safety standards. I'd take gutted missile launchers any day over having long generic looking missiles on every figure. Plus, molded weapons are way cooler.

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    IIRC, it's to do with the consistency of the plastic used.

Firing now missiles have to be made of a somewhat softer plastic, one that will not accept a chrome finish.

7. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Cost. Cheaper to make the toy if you eliminate a feature or two.

8. Tigertrack

Well, just doesn't seem fair to me. I'll try the pen-spring trick as I've got a few I'd like to "lock'n'load" with.
    That said, my G1 Thrust's missiles don't seem to lock into place anymore. What could be the reason for that? This is an original 1980's G1 that came 100% complete and in good condition. Just that the missile launcher doesn't work anymore. Do any pen-springs work or are there some better than others?

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I recently put a couple of pen springs into a the launchers of a KO Cyb Downshift and now they're highly dangerous. :D  You can adjust down their power by stretching the springs and/or cutting them down, but where's the fun in that?

I'm assuming the reissues didn't have them due to lower prodution numbers, having to adapt the old launchers to accept longer missiles and all the other frippery that comes with reissuing figures from an earlier age into today's toy safety guidelines. While the more widespread mainstream releases could have them because they were produced in larger numbers with less variety of materials and with simpler packaging and extras (paint instead of stickers for example) and the launchers for these were designed from the start to conform to safety standards. Everything adds up and I suppose taking out springs is the easy option without really changing the main aspects of the old figures. And of course people can always just put a new spring in if it really bothers them.

I do miss missiles shaped like stuff now. These days it's long boring things or a squirt of fire or water. Although ROTF Dirge did give us a little G1 homage for his missiles. Just thinking about it all those old early G1 missiles can be pretty easily identified. And they looked like missiles instead of some dull coloured rod.

10. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Eliminating a single spring makes a toy cheaper now? No.

It's more to do with where a fired missile may go - the main safety concern is that a child might fire the missile into their own mouth or nose, where the shorter missiles seen on older toys could be lost or become a choking hazard. Modern toys have much longer missiles which are easier to extract from mouths/noses. Re-issued toys either have neutered launchers or elongated missiles - I'd rather have reissues without springs, as they at least look closer to the original.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Cost and safety issue. Some of those g1 missile launchers were lethal lol.
    That said i dont mind reissues without springs as long as the missile can still be held in place but sadly the recent TRU Perceptor reissue the clip is just molded and they cant be held in. Its stupid. Not that it effects me any i prefer leaving him in that nice book style package for display purposes.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, they just got overzealous with the glue. Split the launcher open (the red ring on the tip should just slide off), crack the trigger out of the glue, and reassemble.

And yeah, it has absolutely nothing to do with cost. The cost of those tiny springs are negligible, a couple of cents apiece. The launching mechanisms have been removed because they no longer comply with US safety standards. Firing projectiles must be a minimum of three inches long, so that they can't accidentally fire down a child's windpipe and choke them. Most G1 missiles are significantly shorter.

On earlier G1 reissues, Hasbro experimented with lengthening the missiles instead, but that didn't go over well. So they went the other route, and kept the original missiles, but neutered the launchers.

In some cases, the toys never had the springs to begin with. Tracks with his tiny, tiny missiles springs to mind.

13. Tigertrack

My Perceptor couldn't hold his missile worth crap. I just simply CA'd it in place since I like displaying him in robot mode. He's fairly articulated for a brick.

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Thanks archon i will get him out and try that! He does look great in robot mode to so that will help alot!

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Fired projectiles have to be a certain length to prevent choking. Most of the projectiles from the G1 era were much smaller than what is now currently acceptable.

16. cosmos_seeker

cosmos_seeker Explorer

Someone please post a picture or drawing on how to assemble a spring, I have a Perceptor with a neutered gun and do have pens to sacrifice.