Toys With Armor?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by XJunky, Dec 4, 2008.

1. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Howdy Fellas,

I've been thinking of starting a small collection of toys revolving around figures that have some kind of wearable armor. They don't have transform, but I'd like there to be good articulation both with and without the armor.

Some examples of figures I had in mind:
    Bandai SoC Baikanfu
    Takara MPB-01: Exkaiser
    Takara MPB-02: Dragon Kaiser
    City Commander Armor Kit
    Upcoming Animated Samurai Prowl
    AM Driver (not really into Busuo Shinkis)

Not what I had in mind:
    Brave Figures like Might Gaine
    Ginrai/Star Saber-like Transformers
    Transformers Superlink/Energon toys

No preferences on the core figure, it can be a robot, a Human (Baikanfu), or a fish for all I care, so long as it looks good. Appreciate the help guys, thanks.

2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Macross VF-1 with armor immediately comes to mind. There is an old expensive one from the 1980s made by Takatoku & Bandai, and there are newer ones made by Yamato in different scales.

http://www.laftoys.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=17

There's also a Gundam that wearts some nifty armor but the name escapes me at the moment. I have a MSIA figure of it.

3. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

First thing that comes to my mind are the Dougram dual models in 1/72nd and 1/48 scale. Awesome toys. ToyboxDX: Datafiles: Dougram I wish they would reissue all four of them.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Liker of Pie

When it comes to action figures with armor there is one line you need to look at, Bandai's Saint Seiya Myth Cloth line.

￾¹“¬Žm￾¹ˆß￾_˜b￾@ƒCƒvƒVƒ￾ƒ“￾¯ƒAƒŠƒIƒg ƒtƒFƒ“ƒŠƒ‹

The figures are highly articulated without armor and still retain most of the articulation with the armor on. The armor suits are usually about 50% die-cast and have object stands that the armor can be stored on.

Definately one of the best lines out there for armored figures.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the Gundam NT-1 ALEX with CHOBAM armor. Also available as an MG model kit.

In a similar vein, Duel Gundam with Assault Shroud from Gundam SEED, as well as its descendant, the Blu Duel from Gundam SEED Stargazer.

There's the Gridman/Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad line of figures, by Takara and Playmates specifically. Going by the American SSSS names here, Servo is an Ultraman-like Sentai hero, that parners with transforming robots Drago and Xenon. Drago transforms from two jets/spacecraft into a big Godzilla-like dragon. Xenon consists of a jet, drill tank, and long flatbed tank into a humanoid robot. Both Drago and Xenon can each transform into armor and combine with Servo to create Phormo and Synchro, respectively. They were released in smaller basic sets and large deluxe sets. The small two packs had a small 5-inch Servo with very basic poseability (shoulders and neck, I think), and mostly fully transforming Drago or Xenon figures (I think the smaller dragon-headed Jamb jet could only transform into cannon mode, not the jet mode) packed together. The deluxe figures were released individually, with a fairly well articulated 9-10"-ish Servo (universal shoulders, hinge elbows, swivel wrists and neck, very limited balljoint hips, swivel thighs, hinge knees and ankles). Full combination results in some pretty damned large figures.

At the end of the Ninja Turtles line in the 90's, they released a series of figures under the "metal mutants" banner, which consisted of the four turtles and Shredder with removable chromed plastic armor that could be reconfigured into mythical beasts. Pretty cool designs, but kinda fragile, with lots of small, breakable pegs. Basic Ninja Turtles articulation, with swivel necks and shoulders, and limited balljoint hips.

For a very anime-centric set of figures, you can check out Bandai's Saint Seiya Myth Cloth line. Kinda expensive at around $50-60 a pop (I think, I don't collect them), they consist of a highly articulate 8-inch base body representing the characters in their un-armored form, and similar to the Ninja Turtles described above, have chromed armor (with some diecast parts, I gather) that can be assembled into mythological forms, this time based on the Zodiac constellations (hence the series' North American "Knights of the Zodiac" title). The North American debut of the anime brought about the release of similar action figures, too. I think they were probably re-releases of older Japanese figures though, and while fairly well articulated and of similar scale (actually, I think bigger), are not the Myth Cloth releases.

Last year, Bandai released a "Movie Realization" figure of Evangelion Unit 1, with its Type F armor. While an awesome sculpt and fairly sturdy figure (although the joints might need some tightening), it's not exactly the best example of an "armor up" figure, as the figure actually needs to be disassembled, with the armored pieces completely replacing the unarmored parts in some regard.

And then there's Bandai's SOC: SPEC line, which features mecha with removable armor that reveals the inner frame of the robot. Released thus far are Evangelion Unit 1 (two versions, one in series, and the other in movie colours) and Unit 0 (movie colours only so far, IIRC), Dragonar, L-Gaim (this one actually doesn't have removable armor), and Black Serena (from Martian Successor Nadesico). Black Serena's probably the closest match to your wants in this regard, as it's a smaller pink robot in giant glossy black armor.

*phew* that was exhausting.

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
  7. ntsan

ntsan Well-Known Member

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, that's kind of a variation on the aforementioned VF-1 toys, but yeah, I guess those count.

There's also the Takara Microman figures. Which I wouldn't personally recommend. They look nice, but they're small and fragile and fiddly as well.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I have to agree on the Microman. The Biomachine line is the most prone to come with broke ankle joints.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Ronin Warriors comes to mind

11. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How about Toy Biz's original Iron Man

12. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

Amdriver by Konami. You can probably get these for a pretty reasonable price.

EDIT: Oops, missed this in your first post.

Another suggestion is the Battle Hackers toy line from the latter years of Machine Robo (Bandai). There are a few power-suit style deals in this lot. They're quite nice.

13. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    SoC Godmars shares a similar "small robot inside a bigger transforming robot" that both Great Exkaiser and Baikanfu have. Reading through your "what I'm looking for" selection, I take it you're more looking for "power suit" style figures than just "extra bits added on for protection", yeah?

The SOC Spec Black Serena as someone mentioned earlier also fits this bill quite nicely, with a small robot inside a big black armored suit, which you can then add flight parts to in order to turn it into a big black and purple monstrosity with a crunchy pink center.

Other possibilities: Megahouse/CM's/Beagle Ride Armors from genesis climber Mospeada. Both the Megahouse and CM's figures have their own issues, and the Beagle isn't actually out yet, but they all have the same general format of a person wearing an armored motorcycle as a piece of powered armor.

14. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for all the replies! Some really great stuff in here.

That's narly right there. delta7890 tells me there's supposed to be one of those coming out for Macross Frontier. I like that style better, so I may hold out for that.

Thanks for helping with the terminology. Yes, power armor is what I am looking for. I never realized that God Mars had that action going on. I'll have to find some galleries of'im and take a closer look. I've seen Serena before, I didn't think it was too great that last time I saw it, but I'll take another look.
    I have been thinking about getting one of those Ride Armors but I hear both of the released ones have some issues. I don't really play with my toys much, so I may wind up picking one up.

Wow dude, thanks for all the input. I forgot about about Duel Gundam, I'll take a look at that MG too. delta talked to me about those specs before, he's a big fan of them. Maybe I'll pick one up and give it a shot.

Thanks again guys.

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Boosh!

P4225218.jpg | CollectionDX

Also, if you're looking for valks from Macross frontier, you'd probably want to pick up either the RVF-25 or VF-25G. Both come with full armor and boosters.

[​IMG]

Blue and green, respectively. Coming this march.

16. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Bandai's Souchaku Henshin line.

They're a line consisting mainly of Kamen Rider figures. They come with a base figure and usually loads of accessories. Many of the accessories are DIECAST (which is awesome). The base figure is good, and the accessories seldom detract much from its articulation. I personally like that many of them actually WEAR their main armor, not simply clip on. They're also relatively cheap, especially for all you're getting.

The downside is that the base figure has a shrunken head, so you'll wanna put the helmet accessory on ASAP.

GD-86 BANDAI SOUCHAKU HENSHIN MASKED KAMEN RIDER BLADE KING FORM : TOYSLIFE TOY COLLECTION
    Maruzen Chogokin GE-05 GARO Attach & Change Series [Bandai] Commodity explanation

Konami's Busou Shinki
    Chicks with armor, although I'm not sure it'll mix with what seems to be a 'manly' collection you seem to be starting.

17. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Well-Known Member

Great show, crappy toys.