toys who get returned...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    what happens to them? if they're broken, do they get returned to hasbro? what happens then? anyone know? are they melted down to plastic slag? or do they get sent to the island of misfit toys?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    at retail most of them get tossed or destroyed after credit unless they are sent back to the warehouse then who knows.I dont think hasbro takes them back.

3. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I hate to stir up a controversy, but I don't get why people return stuff that they've opened. If it's broken in the package, that is understandable... no one wants to pay for a broken toy.

But if I break it, I don't feel like I can return it. But if I don't like it, it comes here to be sold... just so I can get something back out of it.

But as far as what happens to them, some stores put them with other returns and then wholesale them out to second hand retailers. I worked at a place that got these pallets and sometimes you got good stuff, but usually it was broken crap.

I can't see Hasbro taking them back, not like they're going to fix them and repack them.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro does not take them back. If it can not be resold, like most companies, Hasbro will issue a credit to the store for the returned merchandise. In turn, the store must destroy the product.

I worked retail for about for years and had to do this a lot.

5. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would stash and kitbash like mad :) 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    If you get caught walkin' out with it, its the same as stealing a packaged item, and you'd likely lose your job.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    what i used to do is fill up a box and then pay 20 or so that way it's legit:wink: 

8. Wingspanky

Wingspanky Well-Known Member

Some hump in Atlanta likes to repackage his old broken ones in new packages. I swear I see one these a month in the Atlanta Wal Mart

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    makes it legal for you, but that just means the store is breakin' the law, as they technically sold it back to hasbro when the got the credit (or whatever store), that's why the items have to get destroyed.

10. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    damaged product that can't sell they usually write it off and throw out. and the store will usually get some credit back for it.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Target will donate some returns. If you make a return and they place a green tag with a barcode on it then it most likley will be donated to a local not-for-profit store. Yellow tags are sent to a Target return center for credit and red items are destroyed. Some items are automatically set to be tagged red/destroyed though, regardless of reason for return.

A lot of stores take some form of loss on returns. Donating will give them tax breaks.

12. X-BRAWN81

X-BRAWN81 Survived Huriicane Dolly

When I used to work for a piece of crap toy store, our defects and returns would be sent back to our DC for credit. I used to hear they would be destroyed but I have other thoughts on that.

At the local flea markets, you can clearly see that most of the things being sold there are returns and defects from major retailers like Target, Wal-mart and KMart. So I assume that the retailers sell them froward. This merchandise is then sold by the pallet for like $200 - $300 to resellers and passed on from there.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This (and I work at Target and have dealt with defects on slow days when we have canceled trucks).

There also is a little bit of this going on with the merchandice that gets sent back to the DC. It's not hard to tell when you're browsing a flea market and you see a yellow taged item from Target being sold for half the price. I'd be wary of buying anything like that though as you have no idea why it was returned...

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well I can see the disposal of returns varies a lot by company and individual store. The local Wal-Mart here destroys returns. 10 years ago the one chirstmas season my brother worked at the local wally-world one of his jobs was destroying returns and putting it in the stores padlocked dumpster.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Stores around here sell them off to Liquidation World.
    I've seen broken things that I returned MYSELF show up there.

16. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please recycle and save our earth. 10 Q

17. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

i have been at mattel and they say they get the toys back and recycle them, you may understand this as destroy them. So it has happened with many g1 preciousness eventually ...

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Dude, honestly... Legal or not, this is something that happens pretty regularly in retail America; there are plenty of chains out there where a manager shrugs and looks the other way if a near-destroyed product accidentially doesn't really get destroyed and just so happens to fall out the back door.

Regardless of tenet, it seems like common sense that if something as unimportant as, say, a returned toy, is considered trash already, that it be saved by an interested employee. It'll likely go unmentioned anyway.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a good point. I know for a fact that this happens with display items for furniture. The furniture pieces that we have for display (shelves, chairs, etc.) get charged back when the particular piece is no longer available and is supposed to be destroyed, however, most Target managers that I've been through at my store (two out of three) hold an in store auction for the employees and basically start the bidding on the furniture at $5 a pop. Again, these pieces of furniture are supposed to be destroyed. It happens from time to time with various other items too where they'll either auction or 'sell' something that supposed to be destroyed (all candy that is opened is supposed to be destroyed, but it gets charged back and put up in our break room for everyone to snack on) and have known the rare returned 'damaged' toy to get bought cheaply by an employee or two.

It's one of those dirty little retail secrets that no one talks about, but everyone knows about. And half the people you'd ask about it either know someone who has done/does do this or has done/does this themselves... so no one is going to volunteer information about it really as you could be in some deep shit with Assets Protection (this is, assuming that the store AP cares and if the store manager is down with what's going on...).

20. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I've worked in retail for over 5 years, I know this, but its still illegal.