Toys that were impossible to find at retail

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jul 4, 2011.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the recent "hard to find"/"hard to find in your area" toys as of late I decided to make a thread dedicated to trials of collecting. Please follow the basic format I used, followed with whatever foot notes you want to include.

My location: Milwaukee, WI USA (11 Wal-Marts, 11 K-marts, 3 TRU's, 14 Targets within 35 minutes)

Alternators Swerve: Never once seen it at retail, ended up getting it from a board member here

Masterpiece Prime (20th Ann Version): Saw it once at Wal-Mart passed on it, got lucky and found it a discount store in Laruel Mississippi.

Masterpiece Starscream: Only 1 of the Walmarts got this in! I was lucky enough to find it at that store. Never saw it again.

Classics Warpath (Legend): Never saw a single one at any retail location here. Ended up finding it at Wal-Mart while I was in Kansas City MO.

Classics Wheelie (Legend): Never saw a single one at any retail location here. Ended up finding it at Wal-Mart while I was in Kansas City MO.

Classics Cosmos (Legend): Never saw a single one at any retail location here. Ended up finding it at Wal-Mart while I was in Kansas City MO.

ROTF Highbrow: Saw it once at a K-Mart. Picked it up for a friend, never saw it again.

RTS Solar Storm Grappel: Never once saw this figure at retail, or any discount store. Got it from HTS.

RTF Lugnut: Never once saw this figure at retail, or any discount store. Got it from HTS.

RTS Windcharger: Never once seen him at retail, or any discount store. Got it from BBTS.

Animated Safegaurd: Found a case at Wal-Mart bought 1 and then never saw it again.

Classics Ratchet: Found it at a Target, bought it, and never saw it again.

DOTM Ironhide: I don't do movie figs but I want to check this one out, and I have yet to find one.

PCC Dinoking: Never once seen him at retail, or any discount store.

I've only been collecting since the Alternator days, and I don't do movie figures so I may have been spared a lot or trouble. I do find that the Classics line suffers with the release of each movie. I also shop for a friend so just because I find a figure doesn't mean I stop looking for it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That Legends wave with Wheelie that you mentioned, Legends RTS Megatron also. I also have yet to see Wheeljack, et all anywhere, but that may change.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Pretty much every single RTS figure that ever was I had a hard time finding at retail.

4. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

montreal and surrounding suburbs. i think around 10 walmarts, 5 TRUS, 10 zellers (target) within half 30 minutes.

i think the only one i saw once for only one for day was:

- universe 2.0 inferno at walmart.

i saw 5 or 6 that day. good thing they were only 10$ each. i drove to walmart arrived there at opening time then bam! bought 3 of em'. hehehe

every thing else i saw form time to time, maybe windcharger twice only with a total of three copies. i saw DOTM skyhammer twice, never again afterwards.

i can't call myself lucky either whenever its an english package only, we get screwed big time.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Universe Vector Prime

6. bluesparrow

bluesparrow Puppet Prime Says Die

I never once saw the Masterpiece Starscream at retail. And I was actively looking.

7. seali_me

this one too. i saw 3 copies only for one day. this happened at the same time as inferno. good thing there were 10$ each then BAM! i left it at the counter. too fugly.

8. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For some reason Energon was hard to find her for anything Mega and up. Most of the time stores just had troop builder characters. Seemed stores dropped out for that series until cybertron were stores starting filling up with them like Armada.

9. Plastic_nomer

Plastic_nomer Doing the unmentionables

Just a few RTS in zellers, and most of them in a local anime shop.

And not a single bro warpath or Kup to be found ;_;

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Original Concept Camaro Bumblebee. Only saw it once at an extremely scarce store that only had like..3 transformers toys, never saw it again.

11. Sgt-mike-larry

Sgt-mike-larry Well-Known Member

Masterpiece - Starscream, Was increadibly lucky to walk into our local TRU and casually ask do you happen to know when your getting in this? the guy said we accidentally got sent 1 box of 4 today. So i picked one up never again have i seen one in a store.

07 Concept camaro bumblebee - was lucky saw two picked them both up never again saw that mold in stores.

Human Alliance Jazz

Genarations Soundwave

Human Alliance Mudflap

Human Alliance Barricade... Never once seen poor old barricade

12. seali_me

no canadian release so far.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

RTS may have well just been the 2-pack of Rodimus and Cyclonus in my area, since nothing else ever showed up as far as I know.

Animated wasn't so hot towards the end. Never found Samurai Prowl at retail, ditto for Swindle, and I'm STILL pissed off that Hasbro stuck Wreck-Gar in the wave with a repainted Lugnut. Because I found that Atomic Lugnut in spades, but NEVER the Wreck-Gar.

Universe 2.0 was pretty bad around my area. Vector Prime never showed up, I only found Inferno because his packaging looked like crap (obviously a poorly done return, but the figure was amazingly pristine save for a dislocated shoulder panel assembly that popped right back in and hasn't given me trouble since) and the deluxe waves went by far too fast (only ever saw Hound/Ravage and Smokescreen at retail once, I was short on cash those days too so I only was able to get Cyclonus. The only figures that were ever left on the deluxe pegs was Cheetor and Dinobot. The final wave with Ratchet and Hot Shot might as well never have existed as far as my main retail stores were concerned. I ended up finding a single, overpriced Ratchet in a Krogers of all places.

Certain exclusives have been notorious for being hard to find. I remember it was nigh-impossible to find that Fracture repaint of Mirage during the AllSpark power line. Crankcase and Breakaway were all too common, but the Go-bot homage may as well have not existed. I've yet to see even a tag for the Wal*Mart 2-pack with the BB Prime retool and the Comettor repaint I want so badly.

Generations was supposedly hard to find the latest wave of, but I've been informed that my local Target got in the three figures I still need of that wave. Go figure I'm 8 hours away and two states over from it because of my vacation. I can only hope they're still there when I get back either tomorow or Tuesday.

14. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    1. Legends Classic (cosmos,wheelie,warparth,beachcomber, etc) Never even seen it

2. RTS Wreckgar: Rarely seen it

3. RTS Windcharger: Never even seen it

4. RTS Grapple: Never even seen it

Piss poor distribution and case assortment!

15. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Never saw Classic/Universe Bruticus ANYWHERE. Warpath, WJ, and TC: I haven't seen, but haven't been looking for. Windcharger still eludes retail around here too.

16. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

The last wave of Animated figures, I only ever saw 1 of them, Electrostatic Soundwave on Christmas Eve and scored him, never saw another one.

Classics/universe/Generations I as soon as it was stated they were hitting the wild I have checked every other day for them. Only one I never found, not too upset on it either, was Hot Shot. Though I wish I had picked up the battle in space set sooner, now I gotta dig up for it.

17. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've pretty much seen all of these things exactly once, thought "Hey, these are out now," and then regretted not buying them.

18. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

Still haven't found a Warpath.

19. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Some Collectors from my region would probably say ROTF Skystalker. Yes, he's scarce because only a handful of retail shops brought him in & for those that did, you don't get to see more than 5 pieces of him hanging on the pegs. :D 

20. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Universe Infermo, Ironhide, Ratchet & Silverstreak completely missed me. Never saw even one of them at any of the several TRU & Walmart locations that I would check multiple times a week. Couldn't believe it. Same goes for MP Starscream & Skywarp now that I think about it.

And I definitely recall a LOT of Animated and Classics/Universe figures that seemed to show up once and then were gone for good. Even recent stuff like RTS Grapple, Wreck-Gar, Perceptor, Windcharger, etc. have been victims of that scenerio. Thankfully I was on top of it.