Toys that people say suck that are actually good

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by guard convoy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    okay, there have been toys out there that people say are terrible, and turn out to be good.

case in point:movie swindle...i skipped it cause everyone said it is a terrible figure, and i got one recently at a flea market for $0.25 and i got to say, he is one of the funnest little figures i have fiddled with. he is a great drone, nice and easy transformation, overall a very enjoyable figure (shame on you peoples, i almost missed out on him).

others are the two pack classics megatron and optimus and animated two pack optimus and megatron. all superb figures with a lot of play value, but for some reason people down them. only flaw is classic's optimus' vehicle mode, which could have been 10 times better if they allowed the legs to collapse in in vehicle mode....what others are there

2. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    classics grimlock.

before i got him a ton of people were saying " he isnt screen accurate blah blah blah, worst classics figure ever, dont get him blah blah blah"

i got him, i got all classics toys, and truthfully....

i love the guy

3. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

I rather like cybertron Backstop.

A lot of people here think that anything after 1985 is garbage, while others say the same of anything after '87.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with the Animated 2-pack Prime and Megatron. Megatron is good out of the box, since his "waist spinning" gimmick does not hinder waist articulation, while Prime's waist articulation is severly hindered by the spring set-up for the same gimmick. Pull the spring out, however, and he's pretty nice (plus he's got the best Axe of any Ani. OP thus far)

The Swindle mold is good, I think people were just complaining because it's a Deluxe with about as much playability as a scout figure IMO.

My all-time "doesn't suck as much as you say" toy has to be Energon Optimus Prime. Sure, OP by himself sucks, and the trailer does little else besides serve as storage for the drones and be the disapearing trailer, but when fully combined with the drones he's pretty neat (especialy if you don't follow the "proper" transformations, like leaving the helicopter's rotors extended for an arm blade and using the "ankle" joint on the dril for a wrist). Then there's the colors, which suck because they're all to bright and contrasty, but I've gotten most of that issue solved so far with my E. Nemesis Prime custom (now with 100% more Evil!:lol :ev: )

5. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love RiD Bruticus. He's a weird figure, and a very basic transformation, but he's got some great bulk to him, lots of playability, and really unique for a TF Figure.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Animated Roll Out Command Prime.

Sure, he's got that big "diaper," but I give him mad props for his crazy/cool spinning auto transformation and him being chock-full of gimmick goodness.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm going to have to say Gobots. People love to shit on the franchise, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of them didn't own a single toy and were only going by word of mouth. I remember quite a few toys that were on par with, and sometimes better than, Transformers.

8. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

Energon Leader Class Optimus Prime. Yes he's fat, megazord looking, lacks much articulation, but he's actually a decent figure, not the worst that many people say. The version with the mouthplate is actually good (the one with the mouth is ugly) and I like using the drill and sub as arms, and the firetruck and helicopter give him feet articulation. Plus, combining him with WingSaber and OmegaSupreme makes him better.

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i personally love the gobots, i got road ranger at a flea market and it is quite neat

i love backstop, i didn't bother with him cause again, people said he sucks, he is one of the funnest transformers of recent years

i got backstop from my parents when they went to the kb toys outlet where all the kbtoys in north texas were sending their stuff to that one location and things were CHEAP!!!!! lol i am so glad they did

10. swampflight

swampflight Banned

R.I.D. Dinobot Slapper

I had heard it was a crappy toy but after buying and playing with it ,I wouldnt give it up for anything.The articulation is good,I like the little axe,and no other transforming toy line ever had an ankylosaurus.

11. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I really like Universe Cheetor.

12. guard convoy

News Credits:
    dang that is another i liked lol

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Totally agree. I'll admit it's not the most aestetically pleasing Prime out there, but I like it for it's pure fun factor. And I prefer the one WITH the mouth. (I mean he has to eat, right? ;) )

14. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Backstop is different, which is one of the reasons i like it. Although i do prefer the colors on Saidos. I'm also quite fond of a lot of the Energon molds.

Quite a few of the entry level Gobots were superior to mini-Autobots, smaller combiner components and Throttlebots. The obvious solution might be to simply buy a larger TF then, but when you're a kid with little personal income at the mercy of the kindness of adults, you have to make your choices carefully... I often chose Gobots over TFs.

In fact my first transforming Robot was (Machine Robo) Turbo... Which was before Transformers were even on shelves. Wore it out after a couple of months.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You know something, when it comes to discussing the Classics/Universe 2.0 line, I don't hear a whole lot being said about Classics Jetfire. He almost seems underrated.

16. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i really really liked nightscream...the big bat!!

17. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

For me, recently it's been TFTM Dreadwing and his repaint Overcast. I guess it's the lens head thing, but I love 'em. I'm also a fan of Ultimate Bumblebee.

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like I'm in a minority, but I like Classics Deluxe Megatron, even with a stump for a right hand.

19. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    First ones that come to mind are classics Grimlock and BM Silverbolt.

20. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Classics Grimlock, ROTF Demolishor, Movie 1 Classic Camaro BB, and Movie Swindle.