Toys R Us United Kingdom falls into administration

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by alldarker, Feb 28, 2018.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They were able to find a niche as a boutique toy store, in very limited locations, and had a large variety of exclusives that helped draw business to them. They definitely catered to a more upscale clientele, that didn't lose any sleep paying a few bucks more for a few toys here and there, given the more unique big-ticket items that likely drew them there in the first place.
    In the end, that wasn't a large enough customer base to sustain them.

2. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Somebody on the VERY SAME PAGE as your original post pointed out that Walmart, Target, Meijer, et al are NOT taking a loss. We can drop this part. The difference is Walmart et al look for profit, while TRU were looking for PROFIT

• Like Like x 1
  4. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

price wise toys r us Glasgow was actually closer to rrp than everywear else

5. skystormomega1

skystormomega1 Well-Known Member

very sad to see toys r us go , i still like to go to stores where you can see what you buy too often i have been let down with online retailers especially ebay where i have been scammed , amazon had issues with i bought a transformer from them an all was ok then order was cancelled and i was refunded this happened 3 times in 2017, the reason why normal retailers like toys r us suffer is because online retailers like amazon have been subsidized under a labour government they got millions in grants to expand in uk at the expense of uk retailers , whats worse is that amazon dodge tax in the uk be registering its business in luxembourg , in 1 year they made £3 billion in sales profit and only paid 4 million in tax vat where many uk retailers have to pay full tax vat , not only does amazon dodge tax but their amazon echo and alexa devices spy on you they record your conversations and this has been proven , i would rather see amazon go and more competition an variety of retail in uk as if amazon gained a monopoly it would be bad for uk customers . a article blamed supermarkets for toys r us collapse really as i have been to many super markets and tesco has a crap range of toys very little transformers same goes for asda both used to have a good range of toys but my local tesco has just 2 alies of toys so super markets only sell 10% of what toys r us do even amazon uk does not sell the same range of toys transformers as toys r us as many of the range of transformers are secondary or market place sellers . the issue with toys r us is that they neglect their website its not very well stocked too much stock instore if you can go to a toys r us store thats fine when the nearest is a 2 hour or more journey not so good, i could not get an item from toys r us website as out of stock for weeks but the liverpool store had what i wanted but they said i would have to come instore they would not post it to my house i had the funds in my card ready, thats what toys r us should have done gave online shoppers the option to have the item sent to your house from a store that has it in stock then at least they would make more sales that way.
    also i find it disgusting that toys r us is pursued for vat but they should pursue amazon who owe close to a billion or more in tax , next time i go to liverpool toys r us will be gone , i do hope smyths takes on some empty toys r us stores

• Like Like x 1
  6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I don't care how low Walmart or Target prices are when their shelves are barren 11/12 of the year. It's amazing what people will put up with to "save" $1.

The reality is that rent is ridiculously high everywhere as western economies are geared to reward rent-seeking above all other pursuits. That's part of the reason e-commerce took off like it did. A domain is $15 per year and a server can be run for as little as $10 per month while sites like eBay provided options for the less technical. Suicidal policy changes and Amazon are well on their way to shutting that all down and providing the same dreary prospects that many of us, buyers and sellers alike, went online to escape.

I did the math a few times to see how many Batman figures I'd have to sell to break even on a real store and it was a real eye opener. I was making something like $3 or $4 per unit on a $20 figure so I had to sell 2500 every month (84 per day) just to pay rent. Now you figure at about $16 wholesale, I'd have to tie up $40000 on a _month_ of inventory. Small business loans in the US are $50000 to $100000, so that slow ramp up for new businesses better not extend more than a month or two. Then you figure in shrink, from damages, returns, shoplifting, and just plain unsellable garbage. And that was BEFORE the Hasbro embargo made simply getting product within 6-8 weeks of Walmart an uphill fight, which removes "we get the new toys FIRST!" from the vanishingly small list of advantages you'd have against a Walmart or Target or, in 2017-2018, places like Ollies and Ross.

You would have to be nuts, independently wealthy, or located in some sort of collector mecca to even think about it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. meisterman

meisterman world’s latest package receiver

Same here. Toys R Us in my area was never that amazing at stocking things anyway, but occasionally I’d shoot one a call and ask if a figure was a in stock, then they’d realize they missed the street date and allowed me to place a hold on any that I was interested in. I’d hate to see TRU go cause the Walmart employees here wouldn’t even think of checking unshelved stock regardless of if the street date was 2 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hightail

hightail cybertronian Bounty Hunter

Facebook:
    don't forget your tin foiled hat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    In my area it's the opposite. TRU is usually cooling on Wave 1-2 while everyone else moves on. Occasionally you'll see some newer waves, but if you do, they vanish quickly and are readily replaced with older waves. Whereas almost all of my retail stuff was easily picked up at Walmart, Meijer, or Target.

• Like Like x 2
  11. skystormomega1

skystormomega1 Well-Known Member

tin foiled hat that meant to be sarcasm it is proven that amazon echo alexa devices record conversations see for yourself How Google and Amazon are 'spying' on you | Daily Mail Online and this Is Amazon's Alexa SPYING on you? Rise in 'always listening' smart assistants raises major privacy fear | Daily Mail Online i have seen more articles, also here is how amazon uk has unfair advantage recieves grants while uk retail suffers does not seem fair , if amazon can get grants why not toys r us the audacity of amazon they make huge profits pay little vat and rake in more money in grants and subsidies Revealed: Amazon earns more through government grants than it pays in and Amazon received more money from UK grants than it paid in corporation tax and Amazon get £3.6m from Scottish Govt despite concerns over treatment of workers and Amazon receives £3.6m in Scottish Government grants and News feed from Ethical Consumer - MSPs question government money for Amazon you get the idea

12. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Without reading the previous wall of text, those home devices absolutely listen to you.

But so does your cell phone. Not a conspiracy, a known fact.

• Like Like x 1
  13. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody the uses or has an Alexa device in their house is NOT TOO BRIGHT! That thing listens to everything you say and DOES Spy on you....PERIOD!

14. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toys R Us seeks bidders ahead of Friday deadline | Toy World Magazine

15. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Toys R Us to shut all UK stores resulting in 3,000 job losses

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  16. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

If it dont make dollars, it dont make cents...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The NSA disapproves of this advice. :D 

18. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    Actually I think they approve of it. Makes it easier to spy on us.

I went to a few of my local TRU stores. They all seem to be operating as if nothing is happening.

19. JoshimusPrime1993

JoshimusPrime1993 Rev up and Roll out!

News Credits:
    I'm really sad about this. Roughly around 12 years ago I went to Toys R us to pick up a Transformers figure, it was the Nemesis Breaker figure from the Cybertron toyline. Then in 2013, I went to Toys R Us to grab Hasbro MP10 Optimus Prime, possibly the greatest time I had there. So long Toys R Us UK, you may be gone but never forgotten.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:

Screenshot_20180301-144302~01.jpg

• Like Like x 4