Toys R' Us Gets Pawned by TRU Corporate

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Squall42080, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Long story here...

I went to Toys R' Us this evening; I was sick, nose running, coughing, fever...

It's on my way home from work, and I just wanted to check to see if there was any new toys. Upon arrival in the Transformers section, I was greeted with a mighty wall of Transformers Classics figures. 4 of all of the deluxes, 3 Primes, 5 Megatrons, and 2 Anniversary Primes. Simply amazing!

Now I already have all of Classics, but I did promise my best friend, and my Brother-in-Law that, if I found them, I would pick them up a set.

Quickly I make a call, and ask both of them if they are still interested...and they both were!

I also noticed a sale sign. The sign said that "For every Transformers or Transformers Accessory purchase of $19.99 or higher, Recieve a free Transformers Cybertron Scout figure!" I quickly searched the sign for any stipulations or legalities...and find nothing.

Awesome! One free Scout for each of the 2 Primes, each of the 2 Megatron's, and for each set of 2 Deluxes! Thats a total of 8 Scouts for free! I quickly make calls to my friend, and brother-in-law, and they express no interest in the Scouts...so I figure...awesome kitbash fodder and all for picking them up some figures!

I head to the register, and I tell the young lady about the sale, and ask if she has to ring each set out separately, or if she can do it all together. She flounders, and walks away, and asks the manager. The manager comes over, and says that unfortunately the sale is one per customer per day.

Quickly my retail management experience comes back to me, previously being a manager of several stores, and now being a manager of customer service for Verizon and I tell him that is not what the sign said.

He says, "well, that's just company policy..."

I ask if there is somewhere I can read about this company policy...and he replies no. Seems odd, that this "policy" wouldn't be on a sign or in a book somewhere...bu surely this manager knows what he is talking about...

He tells me there is no way around it...and my only choice would be to call 1-800-TOYSRUS to talk to them and register a complaint.

So, I ask about a simpler solution. "Hold the toys for me...I will buy $20 worth of toys, get my scout for free, leave the store, come back and buy the next set." His response is "well we would recognize you, and you can only receive the sale offer once per day."

Again, my bulljive meter goes off the charts.

So I say..."fine, let's call 1-800-TOYSRUS." To which he says, "I can't, thats up to you to call..."

I whip out my handy dandy company cell phone (I deal with this kind of stuff all day long mind you...)

I call the number, and after navigating the menu, finally speak to a pleasant young lady named Fern.

After giving the details of my scenario, Fern tells me that the policy is the most ridiculous thing she has ever heard...and even offers to speak to the manager for me! Gotta love that muscle.

I head back on up to the register, and the young lady grabs her walky-talky, calling up the manager.

When he comes up, I give him the word, thats its A-OK to ring them up. He still says he can't.

I then tell him that someone from customer service is on my cell phone right now, and that he can talk to her if he wishes. He declines, saying that he doesn't beleive I called the right number. I offer up the screen on my cell phone, which clearly shows the number called, and how long I've been on the phone.

He still declines, and tells me to ask her to call the store directly. I tell Fern this.

Fern asks for the location. I reply Lancaster, PA. She looks up the number I assume...tells me to hang up, cause she gonna have her manager call the store. At this point, I am really getting quite angry...and really think about how pointless this is...but hey...its a pride thing now...

A few minutes pass...and then...

Someone calls the manger over to the customer service desk. I see him talking on the phone.

When he is done, he hangs up, and turns to another associate and starts waving his hands, and pointing her to me.

The young lady then came over and rang ALL OF MY FIGURES UP AT ONCE. I ask her if she's sure they don't have to be rung up in groups...to which she responds with a "No."

At the end, my order is totalled up, and what do you know...the register removed all of the scouts automatically. I asked her if it was weird that the register would purposely go against company policy...but I get no response...and give a deep hearty laugh...inside of course!

I love being an @$$...especially a correct @$$.

The lesson learned? Don't let companys rip you off. If it truly was a policy...it would be written somewhere, and should be available on the sale signs.

Good luck finding Classics guys...I still recommed TRU...(even though this one happens to be run by an idiot)...cause theres a sale going on, and even though Deluxes are $10.99!

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, that's a great story. I would've hated to go through all of that, but it just warms the heart knowing that you gave it and how to that manager!

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Nice! I gotta get out to TRU...

I hope you feel better soon, btw.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Good work, Squall. Stick it to the man! *grin*

5. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

That's cool to hear... I had no problems at my TRU here locally so i wouldn't fault the chain as a whole... just one store runned by one idiot. Glad coporated did something about it. I aplaud TRU corporate for that.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This is a store-created policy to try and stop collectors. Your store obviously gets hit by collectors often. Blame Star Wars and Matchbox collectors for this.

7. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I stopped by toyrus on the way last night as well and came across an nice full shelf myself. I noticed the sign as well and figured I would give it try. I loaded up on all my figures. A complete set of 4 deluxe and 2 Opitmus and Megs and picked out my 5 free scouts that are going to my nephew and headed toward the register. I was prepared to pay for thme indiviudally as well and the lady told me that she could ring them up all together and the that the register automatically takes off 1 scout for every 19.99 spent on a Transformer. I'm glad I didnt have the same problem you did and I would have loved to see the look on the manager face when the Customer Service rep told him to give you the free scouts.

8. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

That made my whole damn day right there. You, sir are my new hero!

9. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

That's the best story I've read all day.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Nice. I had the total opposite of that situation today. I found Classics Optimus and Megatron at TRU today. Grabbed the Classics for me and a couple of Scouts for my kids and took them up. I asked politely if the cashier knew if it was one Scout per every $20 or one per transaction. She said she'd ring them up and see what the register said. Did it, it took both Scouts off automatically, and she smiled and said "Yep, both are free! That'll be $42." And I was out in less than a minute with no argument.

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I paid a grand Total of 41.94$ for All 6 of the Wave 1 toys.... at Fred Meyers... Great CockSmack to that Annoying Manager though!

12. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

you have won a battle against the man. yet, the war still persists between people and the man. fight on!

13. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Nice, KD.!That's the way it should be. I think that the TRU manager Squall dealt with was an misinformed asshole.

Stick it to the man!

14. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

it's like bravehart, only with toys

15. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I did grab a container of finger paint, and quickly covered my face in blue as I prepared for the final battle!

"They will ne'er take our FREE TOYS!!!" - Squall42080 in poor Braveheart accent

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    nice story, way to stick to your guns.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Shit. I just realized..I bought Classics OP and Megs at TRU yesterday and didn't bother to get my free scout(s). What's the protocol for taking them back and trying to do so? Do I need to lug the actual toys back in or would I just need the receipt? I s'pose I should..(sorry)..scout ahead and see if they even have Shortround and/or yellow Scrapmetal, as those are the only two I'd be inclined to get. If I can get both for free, why the hell not.

18. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I would lug them back in...BUT in reality, all you should need is the receipt.

TRU has a pretty good "policy" of honoring sale prices that you didn't take advantage of, as long as you purchased the toy during the week of the sale, or even the week before the sale...

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

This was barely 24 hours ago; they're still in the bag with the receipt. :lol  I remember the signs; I just didn't even think about poking through the Scouts for a freebie (or two..we'll see how that goes).

I'm personally not going to pwn the manager if they don't gimme two, though that was a great story.

20. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

That's alotta hastle. Glad you didn't let yourself get stepped on. More hastle than I could bear, but then again, I don't have a handy-dandy cell phone or manager experience. :D