Toys R US Exclusive Grimlock Review with Photos

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rhodium1977, Jul 29, 2010.

1. rhodium1977

rhodium1977 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was able to get the Grimlock at Entertainment Earth after all for $70 which includes tax at Comic Con on Saturday. When I was there one of the EE guys told me they just had 7 more left when I got there at 9 am. You guys will love this figure.

At 1lb 4 oz. with all accessories I feel it is hefty and solid. The lightup feature for the Grimlock is cool for the gun and sword but do not expect it to be throughly glowing like as shown on the box art. Metroplex [IH] indicated that if you shake the Grimlock too much the wires I guess come loose and the lighting function ceases. I have not had that problem yet so I do not know if it is just a separate QC problem. The sword's lightup is much better than the gun's lightup. Pictures down below show the lighting feature in his hand without the sword or gun in place and individual pictures with the sword and gun in place. Mind you for both pictures there is a "lighter" stream of red light that the camera does not pick up that emanates further up the sword and that emanates from the barrel of the gun to the barrell tips.

As for changing eye color you can change both the eye colors in dinobot and robot mode. In dinobot mode the eye colors (green and red) are a flat color that gives a G1 cartoon feel to them. It is a strange way to change eye colors though, as you have to pull up a panel on his upper skull, then pull out slightly, a color wheel that is on the underside of the panel that you have to turn according to what color you want. When you choose the color eyes you want you push in the wheel and then fold the panel back down. For the robot mode there is a lever on the back of his head that really is not noticeable that helps you change his eye color. Note in one of the pics the tab or lever is shining because of the reflection of the flash from camera. The next pic shows the lever in its elevated state without the reflection of the flash. The lever looks to be made of the same metallic color material as the lenses for Grimlock are when he is in robot mode. The color lenses reflect light pretty evenly so that is why I took the pics from the side rather than straight on. As for the crown it fits perfectly on Grimlock's head as seen in the next pic as it only goes one way.

I showed a pic of him as best I could of him in his usual pose. I do not have the Masterpiece Grimlock from Takara to compare but he seems to be top heavy, as any diecast he has from what I am seeing, is in his waist area. You are able to move his legs forwards, backwards and to the sides from vertical to close to 90 degrees for both legs. The two points where you can get this articulation and range is where the leg connects at the waist and where the leg splits at the knee joint (no side movement though). This allows for good posing for such a big guy.

A cool feature which I have no idea if it had been discuss before as it was news to me when I opened him up was the ability to press a side button on his head to clamp his jaw down when you open up his jaw. As seen in one of the last pics the button is not hard to miss. The head can look up and to the sides for your information as well. If you move the tail from side to side it will move the head side to side as there is some gear setup that goes to the head. But it seems that if you move the head it does not translate into moving the tail. It looks to be a one way street on that one I could be wrong but on mine it ain't happening.

As for the Grimlock I am happy with it. I noticed that on some of the metalized plastic there was wear and flaking where the tail joins together. It looks to be where they removed them from the "parts tree" after they spray the paint on. Nonetheless it does not distract from the Grimlock's awesomeness.

I have been on TFW for almost decade now and only became a member in 03' but I am truly a newbie to doing a review. I hope this helps you guys on your decision on Grimlock!

Attached Files:

2. rhodium1977

News Credits:
    More pIcs!

Attached Files:

3. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for your review! You did a great job with the detailed pictures, and they were very informative.

4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Lookin' good. Thanks for the review.

5. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't wait to get this! It will only be my 2nd Masterpiece figure.

6. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    I’m jealous as hell right now! That looks really nice. Thanks for all the detailed pics.

edit- I just realized I had no clue you could change the robot head eye color! I feel dumb yet amazed at the same time!

7. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice pics. I like the crown.

8. ekocher

ekocher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just got mine in today and wow it is really a amazing figure imo.

9. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

Great review. Can't wait to get mine :thumb 

10. ekocher

News Credits:
    is he worth opening?

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES!!! No MP grimlock should be MISB. I've owned mine for awhile now and not a day goes by that I don't Transform him

12. ekocher

News Credits:
    okay =] i picked him up at EE for 70 it took forever to open.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    How are the screws where the tail folds up? I know they made a running change on the Takara version, hopefully it is still good and the tail pieces don't hit the screw.

nice review. Really hope to get two of these badboys.

14. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    That is one sexy t-rex right there

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    This guy needs to hit retail so we can all stop worrying about not getting him. This is the only MP mold I don't have, so I am REALLY looking forward to finding one.

16. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Nice! Looking good. I think since I have the Takara version already, this one will remain MISB.

17. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I will be all over this when I find one....Great pics. thanx

18. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so they rounded the teeth but left the claws? those things are sharp, the cut me

19. rhodium1977

News Credits:

They both are rounded off.

20. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

So the tail and neck in dino mode are supposed to move together when one is turned? I was wondering why there was no way for the tail section to connect to the body.

Too bad the feature doesn't seem to really work. I'd rather have Grimlock totally locked together in dino mode rather then have an action feature.

Also, anyone have loose joints of theirs? I'm guessing it's the diecast parts, but it's kinda annoying.