Toys R Us closing multiple US stores!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Bain Capital also did the exact same thing to KBToys

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I thought for sure my local one was going to close, thankfully its safe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. STRAKER454

STRAKER454 Police Box Traveler

Yeah the N. Attleboro location I would have traded for the Northborough location to stay, lol. One think I really think Toys R Us need to do is advertise their grown up action figures and adult collectibles. I mean I NEVER see regular boys toys and action figures in the flyers I get as it is but NEVER see NECA stuff or other horror movie toys advertised there. Real shame too because I buy a lot there.

4. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sucks. a lot of people out of a job. :( 

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Leave your political comments out of this thread....
    Thank you.

3. No Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars. Political jokes and links to news stories with a political nature are also off limits.

6. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too High To Die TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow there will not be any toys r us stores or toy stores for that matter in Maine.

7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    OK...Trying thiis again...because the business tactics of Bain Capital seem very relevant to the conversaion, but for some obvious reasons it's hard to find articles that don't mention a certain major player in the firm and avoid politics.

A 2012 report shows that Bain Capital's track record. Out of buying 77 companies beween 1984 and 1999 (not including KBToys which was purchased in 2000 or Sports Authority, another recent casualty)...22% of them were loaded with debt, stripped of all their assets, and dumped into bankruptcy after 8 years. A tactic that has been part of their business plan all along. What we see with Toys R Us is pretty much just business as usual for them and I doubt it will end well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

What happened to the other 78%?

• Like Like x 1
  9. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I might not agree with Bain's tactics (maybe I do, if I knew ALL the circumstances, who knows?) a lot of these are companies that are dying, in the first place. So seeing a fair percentage of them crap out after 8 years doesn't really seem that farfetched.

10. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire BUMBLEBEE MUST DIE!

News Credits:
    The entire job/money thing doesn't work anymore. It never really did but now it's worse than ever.

11. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Given that the cycle mentioned was eight years, some of them were obviously in the middle of the debt-loading and asset-stripping phase and thus weren't included in the casualties (yet). Also consider that the 1984-1999 period wasn't exactly an economic slump, excluding the S&L recession in the late 1980s (.com crash wasn't until 2001), so their gang's murder count would likely be even higher today.

If Bain's "experts" were anywhere near as smart as they think they are, they would've saved most of those companies. Entertaining an offer or advice from them is like trading the family cow for a bag of magic beans.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While it's possible I think you have to factor in Toys-R-Us being the last big toy store standing. Poor KB Toys not only had to deal with the threat from things like Wal-Mart and Target but if people were frustrated with KB they could always say well I'll go to Toys-R-Us because their stores are bigger so maybe they will have it.

I don't know about everybody's local Wal-Mart but I know mine has really dropped the ball when it comes to the toy department. They don't bother to stock things like Marvel Legends so it's go somewhere else for those. Transformers is almost always just the peg warmers so somewhere else for those figures. It's so bad I had to go to Toys-R-Us for my niece's birthday because the local Wal-Mart had such a poor selection of Paw Patrol toys.

Unless someone else comes up with a chain of huge toy stores with cool exclusives then Toys-R-Us just might have a shot at making it because there aren't a lot of choices for customers when it comes to a store you can walk into.

13. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    It boggles my mind how TRU is going Bankrupt and yet K-Mart is still somehow alive.

15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    KMart is in worse shape. The last one in Wichita, KS is currently in the process of closing. We used to have three.

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I do think that, because TRU is currently in the news for its financial struggles, people exaggerate the gravity of the situation it's actually in. TRU is not in danger of going out of business at this particular point in time. In fact, it's current bankruptcy situation is being done precisely so that it might have a better shot at survival. Will it work? Time will tell.

K-Mart, while not currently in a bankruptcy situation, has been through such in the past, and one can certainly question how much it helped, as it's current state of affairs certainly isn't good. I can easily imagine that it might still go out of business before TRU does.

• Like Like x 2
  17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Crap. My store is on the list. :(  next closest store is 2 hours away.

18. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Oh, I'm quite familiar, I spent many a fine day in that store. It's no longer my stomping grounds, which is why I had forgotten the COI one moved to Puente Hills. The west side is now my region, and none of them are getting shuttered - not even the weird one hidden behind the 405 in Hawthorne.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

While I know it is varied with multiple reasons for the situation...all I can do is relate to what I see in stores that I visit.

And what I see is a store that has given up. I see store, particularly in the boys section, a store that doesn't understand the product it sales and how best to move that product and increase revenue.

I can use multiple examples but the easiest is Leader Blaster. My stores has about fifteen of them. They're not going anywhere and therefore new leader class hasn't and will not come in for sale.

A store that specializes in toys should not take the same attitude that WM and Target models their toy sections.

But other reasons, corporations, and yada yada yada.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  20. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    As with you, I can only comment on what I see in my own stores (which, as I said at the beginning of the thread, I'm fortunate to have access to several). I haven't seen TR Blaster at a TRU in ages, and my (again, multiple) Wal-Marts have been absolutely awful at stocking non-movie TFs.

There are certainly problems abounding, but I think we need to be careful about generalizations, especially of the "THIS is what TRU should be doing, instead of what they're doing now!" variety.

(FYI, in my own experience, Target is indeed much better about stocking and restocking Generations TFs than TRU.)