Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    Y'know what? When there's actual news on this, can someone put it on the front page, or make a new thread title? I'm outta this thread.

2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Toys R Us prepares plan to liquidate its business
    Lauren Hirsch
    Published 1 Hour Ago Updated 3 Mins AgoCNBC.com
    • Toys R Us is in the process of drafting the court motion for its liquidation plan, a source familiar with the situation told CNBC.
    • Toys R Us missed a payment to some of its vendors this week, these sources said.
    [​IMG]
    Daniel Leal-Olivas | AFP | Getty Images
    A customer walks past a Toys 'R' Us store with 'closing down sale' signs.
    Toys R Us, the iconic U.S. retailer, is in the process of drafting the court motion for its liquidation plan, a source familiar with the situation told CNBC on Tuesday.

The retailer could file as soon as the end of Wednesday, making the motion official. It will then begin to wind down the storied toy retailer, after more than half a century in business.

A liquidation will most likely result in the closing of all Toys R Us' 800 stores in the U.S.

It will be a blow to the toy industry, which has relied on it for supplying row after row of toys and premium pricing. Toys R Us accounted for 15 to 20 percent of U.S. toy sales last year, according to Jefferies analyst Stephanie Wissink.

Without Toys R Us to sell its products, toymakers need to rely on Amazon and compete for the limited shelf space in big box stores. As such, Jefferies' Wissink estimates as much as 15 percent of all toy sales could be lost for good.

Shares of toymaker Mattel have dropped 8 percent since CNBC reported the retailer was weighing a bankruptcy filing in September, while rival Hasbro's stock shed about 4.6 percent.

Toys R Us entered bankruptcy in September with $4.9 billion in debt, a vestige from its $6.6 billion acquisition by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, Bain Capital Partners and real estate investment trust Vornado Realty Trust in 2005.

Toys R Us had sold to those financial buyers amid pressure as Walmart, Target and others undercut its prices. The debt from that buyout, though, only added to its challenges. Retail soon dramatically changed, led by the rapid rise of Amazon, and Toys R Us found itself hamstrung by payments, unable to make the investments it needed to in order to keep up.

It had hoped under bankruptcy protection to finally make the changes it needed to compete — like a stronger internet business and more experiential stores — but, ultimately, it was too late. The crucial holiday season was dismalfor the retailer, and it missed on all its financial estimates.

In the weeks that followed the holidays, pressure continued to mount. Its low cash balance left it at risk of breaching the terms of its bankruptcy loan, sources previously told CNBC. Another subset of of its lenders, meantime, have been pushing hard for liquidation, sources told CNBC.

Last week, it became increasingly clear that liquidation would be the most likely route. Still, as recently as last week, it was shipping products to its vendors and telling employees it was business as usual, sources said.

This week, though, Toy R Us missed a payment to some of its vendors, and was not responsive to calls, sources told CNBC. Bloomberg first reported the missed payment.

The people requested anonymity because the information is confidential. Toys R Us declined to comment

• Like Like x 1
  3. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope,this doesn't cut it... The writing has been on the wall,but some people here just can't grasp what is happening and going to happen. No Matter what info anyone presents here, they still will be in denial of it.

4. D3VC0N

D3VC0N Decepticon

Just went to a local Toysrus here in San Antonio to ask about the Thundercracker, and the manager there just noted that in a backdoor meeting, they were told they will be shutting down Friday. Not sure if the other stores have gotten similar news, or just a badly timed coincidence.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Used my TRU bucks today as well as my $10 off $50 coupon so at least I won't loose those no matter what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

Same, I went to my local tru to look for the deadpool wave of legends since they get deliveries today. I ended up buying the storm collectibles M.Bison exclusive and used my coupon in preparation for their closing.

7. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Black Smoke Rising

This sucks on so many levels. Not just in the short term for current employees, but also for the toy business in general. A pretty big domino falling here, I think.

8. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    It’s disastrous for the toy business. That’s the only way to put it. The “good riddance” crowd can go to hell.

• Like Like x 18
  9. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Good riddance

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Lost in transition.

News Credits:
    Hopefully my stays open till Friday, so I can make one last run.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was listening to a video how TRU going under is a disaster for smaller toy companies. TRU was willing to give these companies a foot in the door to try out their various lines. They had room to display them and TRU could be used to build brands that could eventually get enough momentum to get to Walmart/Target. Target and Walmart don't have room for these. They want known brands or at least brands from the big companies. Very slim chance for small guys.

While they could try listing their stuff on Amazon, MUCH less chance people will find it since people do targeted searches. In Toys R Us, people could be walking to the brand they know and see this new brand on the shelf. I know I've seen many toys in TRU that I would never knew existed just because I'm looking at the shelf and there it is.

• Like Like x 5
  12. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No,the doors shut by 9pm tonight...too late!

13. Ajcrn1025

Ajcrn1025 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whether you are right or wrong, you’re just so obnoxious about it. There’s no need to make a comment like that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Lost in transition.

News Credits:
    By spreading misinformation your only going to make this thread worse, and like the user above stated, your posts are obnoxious.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

So surreal how the holidays were "dismal" for TRU. I worked the floor the 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2015 seasons, and my body always felt wrecked from darting around. I would love to know how many miles I walked a day. To say nothing of how my brain was buzzing after interacting with that many people.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The report is that this last holiday was dismal for them, not the holidays in general. It's not surprising, the bankruptcy news hitting before Christmas was always going to have a subconscious effect on peoples' shopping decisions.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GoldDeadEnd

Yeah, I knew they meant this last season (not that I conveyed it well), but the downturn just blew me away. And hell, I've spent hundreds there in the past year.

18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I "get" that, you'd want all the poseability. But frankly, I don't understand why a robot would need to sit down....
    I thought it was pretty obviously a joking comeback to the guy he was responding to.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood your post.

20. GoldDeadEnd

Through no fault of your own.

• Like Like x 1