Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it'll probably be at the end on next month AKA the end of the first quarter. Just a week from now is way too little time for a company that large to shut down and withdraw from the US market. They haven't even announced the closure yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Believe me, I know ALOT more than you of what is going on. You just don't want to listen. I have been through liquidation before,so I know exactly how it works and what was briefed to me for TRU's. Again,you just refuse to listen and just want to come up with your own ideas. Perhaps you are just in denial. Many other folks here, besides me, given you good reasons of what's is going to happen. Why don't you go save the company since you think the doors will just shut without any liquidation as you claim.;) 

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but there was a time I wanted to drive for TRU's fleet.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't pursue it.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It seems like it would be tough to liquidate to things like discount stores this time of year because that is a ton of toys to dump on discount stores this far from Christmas. We tend to think in terms of things we collect but as you walk around a Toys-R-Us you realize that it is an insane amount of stuff from big ticket items to dollar items. That would be a lot of warehouse since most discount stores only have a small section of their stores for toys.

Guess it really comes down to what the court decides.

Although I could imagine a going out of business sale could be more insane than the big holiday push because the end of Toys-R-Us has been all over the news and social media.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ajcrn1025

Ajcrn1025 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am at my local Toys R Us. I just talked to the assistant manager who rang me up. He told me that the hearing was yesterday, it’s been postponed for a week, the judge is giving them more time to find a buyer. But he told me that the employees doubt it will happen, as $5 billion is a lot. So that’s from the assistant manager at the Langhorne, PA Toys R Us.

With all the rumors and speculation going around, I guess it’s a waiting game

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ajcrn1025

News Credits:
    A side note...I wonder if there is a potential buyer and they need more time to work things out. A week doesn’t seem like enough time to just try to get someone to buy you. My suspicion is, there’s a potential transaction and they’re trying to get more time to complete it.

That’s speculation...but that’s the only logical reason for the week extension

• Like Like x 2
  7. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the person you're talking about had called TRU corporate about this the store manager would have been fired. That might work in a small business in a tiny town but a big company won't stand for this type of crap. While the manager can certainly threaten someone, all it would take is a call to HR and it would have been solved.

We have labor laws in this country and there are LARGE fines for violating them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. artimus prime

artimus prime SCALE Debater that collects multiple TF lines TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Indeed. TRU got rid of all their truck drivers at least two years ago.

9. artimus prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Not entirely true. The manager would've got a slap on the wrist. While there are labor laws and a department of labor, I've found out first-hand how ineffective it is. You never know just how bad it really is until you have to try to use the system.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forcing employees to work without pay is a pretty egregious violation. And we're not talking about "take out the trash after you clock out", we're talking about "use your private vehicle to deliver product when you're not normally a driver AND do it on your day off AND do it without pay." Hell even having an hourly employee drive is a big no-no in most situations. The state (at least the two I've owned businesses in, WA and VA) has rules in their payroll and OT sections about mileage reimbursement for hourly employees. It has its own tax rate and everything.

I get that the person you're talking about didn't want the confrontation and the manager is likely a bully, but TRU is a very large company and on liability alone they wouldn't stand for that sort of thing. It would be national news. This isn't 1950 or even 1980. If she had called HR with a list of times it had happened, it would have been handled. TRU has lawyers they pay to make sure they don't break these rules.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    right on.....it doesn't look good and most are expecting the worse..

12. Carnage73

Carnage73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So why was the hearing pushed back on the docket 3 days instead of a full week?

13. Ajcrn1025

News Credits:
    All I can tell you is what he told me.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Oh, you think that, until you have to rely on the system, only to find it can't or won't help you. At will employment means they can fire you for an illegal reason and just lie about it. Not to drag this too far off course but visa and immigration laws (relevant because they affect employment) are similar "look the other way" affairs. Pretty much the stories you hear where it worked are when somebody goes to FaceBook or a sympathetic TV news team and publicly embarrasses the company.

Also people should realize Nevermore's Amazon job is likely in Germany (unless he moved). There are countries with labor protections and then there is the US. Nobody should get the idea that US operations aren't abusive just because a European branch isn't.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

16. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She did finally contact corprate, they fired her for it and EED denided her benefits.

17. artimus prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Sounds right. When I worked there, we would get in trouble for calling the police for theft or any other sorta emergency. We had to go through the corporate system.

18. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Yep. There's lots of laws on the books but they don't get enforced because companies have money and politicians and you do the math.

19. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toys ‘R’ Us Misses Vendor Payments
    Recent filings: Prime Clerk

20. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    My son works in a US Amazon warehouse Edison NJ to be exact and he loves his job and is treated very fairly

• Like Like x 1