Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably going to sound really insensitive, but this really makes me wonder about movie Thundercracker and MPM Barricade.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’ve alerted the troops, luckily all but two of use have abandoned ship anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm wondering is TRU Canada some kind of separate entity, because they just opened a huge store in Parkplace in Barrie and seem pretty self-sufficient.

I guess we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I mean, I can just pick up my future Transformer toys on ebay or the collector store in the next town. I just like cruising down the Toysrus isles. I can't remember the last time I purchased something at Toysrus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Tragic news for the employees affected. One more casualty of unchecked capitalism.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TRU Canada is profitable, but they are unfortunately linked to the debt owed by the US operations. It might end up being a case of TRU Canada being dragged down by the US company.

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Meh, good riddance.

The only thing I care about in this ordeal is the exclusives. As if they weren't hard enough to obtain but does this mean it will be even worse trying to obtain the upcoming Marvel Legends 2packs and Studio Series Thundercracker? Canceled maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That really sucks.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bummer. As a kid I still remember Children’s Palace, KayBee toys, and FAO Schwartz. The toy store as a thing has been dying for well on 30 years and Toys R Us represented the last major national chain. If it really is folding... wow.

US Retail is in a really dark place right now.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Man, this really sucks. I got my very first Transformer at my local TRU back in 1984 when I was only 10-years-old. It will be sad to see it close after all these years. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nexodusrex

Nexodusrex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    awww man that sucks. There\'s a TRU I frequent all the time near work. it\'ll probably become a halloween store or something. Thats awful. 
    I\'m sure Walmart and Target are licking their chops at the increased customer base they\'ll be experiancing soon enough

12. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Ok, can we panic yet? I'm feeling panic.

13. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mpm barricade just got that much harder to find.

14. Spectrelobo

Spectrelobo Well-Known Member

I was talking to a vendor about toys r us in Katy,Texas and got told that location is yet to close. They couldn't give any other specifics.

15. Gallade

Gallade Trap & Ambush

News Credits:
    Aw seriously? I remember purchasing quite a handful of toys here as well as spotting toys that appealed to me but I could not buy. :( 

16. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Same and I'll stop at one near me every now and again but never by anything because their selection is usually awful and what they do have I can get at Wal-mart for less. I miss when Toys R Us had their shevles filled with literally everything.

• Like Like x 1
  17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    Sadly been expecting this since i heard bain capital bought them out. Masters of Vulture capitalism. I have to wonder if there is anything of value left in the company outside the name and inventory. I feel terrible for the employees who will seemingly lose their jobs. Hasbro will adapt and it maybe that they will do less store exclusives.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 Taking a break. Can't deal with this fandom.

Seriously, I want to know what is going to happen to the exclusives. Barricade should be easy enough (Just get the takara version online) but I was really interested in that Thundercracker. Hope it won't be canceled.

19. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Yeah, still not feeling sorry for a company that lobbied for the right to pay $16 million in bonuses to 17 of it's top executives AFTER declaring bankruptcy. Not feeling sorry for Managers who put figures right back out on shelves after being made aware that parts have been stolen from them. Not feeling sorry for a place where I routinely see "Was $34.99, now $26.99" on a LEGO set that was $24.99 to begin with. Not feeling sorry for a company that goes out of the way to have a big Bandai/Tamashii display in every store, but never bothers to actually carry anything.

I DO feel sorry for the thousands of well-meaning employees who'll have to look for a new job, and I DO feel sorry for the thousands of collectors who relied on the store for their needs. But, to me, TRU's glory days have LONG since passed & I won't miss them.

• Like Like x 16
  20. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

If you believe that TRU "only" has 15% of the US toy market, and that the "larger" volume stores are Walmart and Target, as some articles have pointed out, the diversity of toys is going to narrow because while TRU might get squeezed out by the bigger stores on volume for the "popular" toys, they take a chance on the "interesting" toys, which may be in part why we have MPs in North America.

They have a considerable amount of inventory, so I would think that a reorganization could work. It's the debt issue in the US buyout, which was disappointingly shortsighted. Without that debt they would have the capital to leverage a better online presence. If Best Buy can do it...

I'm hoping the Canadian stores hang in there. I've visited US TRUs, and I'm sorry, but I have found many of them to be a bit grim - empty, poorly stocked, absolutely no staff. Even the weirdest TRUs in Canada seem to do well (the one in Vaughan Centre springs to mind). I know that so many young families looking for reasonable baby goods and a diversity of intelligent toys like TRU for the breadth of choice.

• Like Like x 5