Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Their final collapse is going to take alot of people by surprise. The CEO is still cooking the books to cover shifting Sears real estate assets into his own portfolio. He needs suppliers to be fooled into thinking they're still engaged in retail trade while that's going on. When he's done, though, expect either a "sudden" announcement or an "unexpectedly" bad quarterly filing that reveals what everybody already knows. The FTC will slap the empty husk of Sears Holding Corp with a fine it can't afford to pay, people will lose their jobs overnight, pensions/401Ks holding the stock will take a dive, and the mastermind of this fraud will skip away scot free clutching sacks full of million-dollar bills.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either way, it's just a matter of time before the next round a TRU closings happen and they all go away,especially with Bain in their control.It won't happen yet or in the next year or two,but when it does,it will happen all of a sudden of closing all stores.Been there,done that with Kaybee

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Funny how one word left out can ruin an entire statement. I meant to say that they should not model their sections like Walmarts and targets.

Well, I take that back. TRU, imo, should model their store after Walmarts and Targets in the idea that every department has its own manager, but give them the flexibility of a local supermarket department manager.

For a specialty store like TRU, the ability to control your individual stock is crucial to keep customers coming back. My store can't or won't put Blaster on clearance. So, I stopped going there looking for transformers. star wars black series is the same way. Likewise Marvel Legends. If it weren't for exclusives and the fact my store is next to a Lowe's and Walmart, I would never set foot in the place.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Well it's kind of sad for me in one way, I remember working the holidays at one of the ones on the list that is closing. I remember going to pick up the latest games. Even younger I remember the amazing feeling before I left the country of seeing a complete aisle of G1. I guess everything eventually changes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    A friend of mine used to do the markdowns before his store closed a few years back. The stores _do_ have control over what gets marked down. As it was explained to me, though, the controlling factor is that it only has so many "points" to use per month. If it has other toys that need flushed away more urgently than those Blasters (like the recent flushing of those Disney Amiibos), then Blaster is going to sit for awhile.

I hear you about not setting foot in a store. Closing the Harrisburg location was the worst move. Every remaining store within driving distance is 30-45 minutes out of the way (and the closest of the three is a dump). Where I used to hit the TRU on the way home from work, now I only have a WelfareMart and a Target.

• Like Like x 2
  6. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Whatever happened with KB... it really wasn't sudden. We all knew it was coming (much as can be said of K-Mart/Sears... much more so than with TRU), throughout multiple (not just one) bankruptcies in short succession, and when the final axe fell, there were still several weeks/months worth of clearance sales.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toys R Us refuses to release 2017 USA holiday sales figures | Toy World Magazine

8. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We kind of already knew they underperformed based on the previous comments about 'missteps' during the holidays.

Won't they have to release the quarterly results eventually though?

9. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, but it was sudden for the closing of the whole company. Stores were closing before that (a year before ) but instead of just another round of closings, it was boom,we are done! The liquidation part doesn't count as that is part of the transition to being completely done.

10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Again, I just don't see it that way. I wrote about this at the time, and at that time, it was clear that there were still bunches of clearance sales still to take place, even though the final end was then known to be imminent, rather than merely possible.

Is that what you mean by "the liquidation part doesn't count"? Because that still puts in rather different terms than other recent "sudden closures" in the news, such as when a bunch of Sam's stores were simply "done" one day, with no warning to those stores' employees.

11. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Did you work there during that time? If you didn't, then you don't know what you are talking about of how it all went down. The end of Kaybee was a "all of sudden we are folding the whole company" (that's how I got the news), then leading into a 3 month liquidation headache.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hightail

hightail Banned

Facebook:
    we have two TRU stores in Tucson Arizona and it announced on the news last week the oracle location is being closed next month.

so now we're down to one TRU.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, don't know how it works with TRU, but Home Depot only allowed for a certain amount of markdowns per year, and also tied markdowns to manager bonuses (which made it a terrible idea). We had a store manager who refused to mark down any returned/damaged/mis-ordered doors or windows for a good 5 years. When he eventually got promoted, our new manager wondered why we had no extra stock of doors in the overhead. Had two aisles worth of stuff he had to take the hit on the markdown when he found out.

Only silver lining is about 2 months after the terrible store manager got promoted, they consolidated regions and his job got cut. Guy was a prick.

14. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    In order for TRU to hire employees that know about, or care about the toys they offer, they need to pay them more than minimum wage. <.< In my store, while I worked there, there was me, and two other people who knew a lot about everything, and well, one of them was a Supervisor, whom I was impressed, knew as much as he did, and another was a worker that's been there for a while. The three of us could literally run circles around the rest of the store in regards to product knowledge. Now they are down to those two as I needed to leave....because I can't afford to make money.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

News Credits:
    following up on my past post, I learned today that the Glens Falls store apparently renegotiated their lease and is NOT closing!
    I'd cheer more about it but hey, I no longer live there. :) 
    Queensbury Toys R Us gets a reprieve

The TRU in South Portland is staying open. (I was there yesterday, they have big "WE ARE NOT CLOSING" signs on the door and in fifteen other places around the store.) The Babies R Us is closing.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Cool thanks bud. My daughters will be stoked.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Guy who lives in Nemesis Prime's sleeper cab

Yeah I heard this from my buddy who saw it in the paper, was pretty glad to hear it. Only TrU I can really reliably get to

Same dude. Well, daughter & stepson, but they were stoked to hear it's not going away as well

• Like Like x 2
  18. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    I never use toys r us. I'm actually glad to hear the one nearest me is closing cuz maybe I can hop in there now and find some decently discounted stuff.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    ... awesome. You're happy for the staff to lose their jobs?

• Like Like x 1
  20. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Ehh I didn't think about that actually. Not quite as happy now...