Toys R Us closing multiple US stores! 3-15-2018 - all stores expected to close

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Prime135, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope this never happens. Merger's can be a very bad thing. Imagine Hasbro going out of business one day, we lose ALL those brands. Now imagine if Mattel merged with Hasbro and then later Hasbro goes out of business. BOOM! ALL major brands gone in an instant. In addition, it's bad enough we have a toy oligopoly. It would be worse if it were to become essentially a toy monopoly (no pun intended as Hasbro owns that, too). The lack of any major competition is one thing that can sink companies and/or drive down quality. One of the reasons why the 1980's was a golden decade for toys was the diversity of competing companies. Aside from Hasbro and Mattel, we had Kenner, Galoob, Milton Bradley, Playmates, Tonka, and LJN to name a few. So much new product was out then compared to now. Now we're lucky to get rehashes after rehashes of basically the same brands. Innovation is pretty much gone. The best thing that Mattel can do for itself and for customers is improve their quality. Same goes for Playmates and Bandai America. This is even more essential for NECA and Diamond Select Toys if they want to become viable competitors.

There's still a strong market for toys, it's just changed. Either companies adapt and evolve or they die out. Same goes for TRU. They failed to correct themselves properly and found themselves dealing with the wrong investors. Now TRU is leaving a huge vacuum behind.

2. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Asian branch shows no signs of closing. I'm grateful it isn't closing, but 50% sales on the other hand... damn I envy you guys.

3. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    30% so far. Will keep adjusting per week though at 5% increments until all stock is gone.

HTS and TRU exclusive like Arcee was. When the site closed, all excess leftover stock that hadn't sold on it went to stores. Which means a few lucky stores got Grotusque. Arcee was already sold out on the site though.

On the toy manufacturing side you're somewhat right. Some smaller entities might group together to save each other, but the bigger ones likely won't. Hasbro's been trying for Mattel off and on for a bit, but it honestly would create too much of a monopoly to ever get signed off on. As funny as "Has-Mat" would be, it can't feasibly happen tbh. Even if someone above both bought both, they'd still keep them separate. It's smart business like a fail safe. Playmates and Bandai of America are also too ever present with their current licenses to entertain it, so the big 5 will remain intact. It's the smaller ones like random startups that can't get shelf-space because of the big 5 that may look to other smaller entities like Spinmaster and Jazzwares and Jada that have their foot in the door at major retailers to get their products on shelves somehow or better noticed. Limited retail space now means that the smaller entities are going to have a harder time getting to shelves. Not many are as lucky as Lanard that has a walmart exclusive deal. The big 5 can't buy each other though. They're literally the only thing keeping each other in check from becoming a monopoly. (Lego, Hasbro, Mattel, Bandai, Playmates. Though Mcfarlane toys is quickly getting a foot hold in to become a bigger name, but it's not quite there yet. Getting there though.)

On the retail side though, there is kind of a weird joy that could be had from seeing the KB tin soldier riding Geof the giraffe as a new age logo. But that's also not a merger. That'd be if KB bought the mascot during the auction. It's already a "dead brand" and the corpse was stripped and is getting auctioned off. So it's nothing like two successful companies merging to become one entity to dominate the market even more in the whole "becoming too big to fail and dragging the entire market down with it if it does". It's kind of more akin to corporate grave robbing since one entity is already dead, and like birds of carrion other entities are flocking to it to peck it clean of anything useful.

Thankfully that is another perk to the auctioning off assets. Someone could buy the TRU name, then bring the stores back without any of the debt it had. It's not likely this would happen, but it would sidestep the full debt issue.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 3:51 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stykthyn

Stykthyn Active Member

50% on garbage. Candy, pencil boxes, generic crap. Anything of value only has a 5-10% discount or has already been auctioned off to wholesalers

• Like Like x 2
  5. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Must be only yours then. My local ones have nearly everything at 30% at the minimum, only thing not is Lego which is at 15%. But all other building block brands are currently at 30% off. All action figures were at 30% too(including transformers and role play toys of action figure lines).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stykthyn

Stykthyn Active Member

I think it depends on when the store closure was announced.. Some went on sale much earlier than others due to some stores not being scheduled to close until the hearing was over.

7. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

Like others have said, all the ones around me are at least 30% off. It’s very strange that yours is still doing a 5-10% discount.

8. TGS1985

TGS1985 Well-Known Member

I think it was announced before mine received a restock in TFs because it litterally had the same figures it had before bankruptcy was originally announced which is a bunch of wave 1 prime Masters and legends plus a couple of the 3 headed dragon from the movie, and the $150 Cybertron figure. So basically leftover crap.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Mine were two of the ones that would have stayed open until the all stores closure was decided from bankruptcy. Had even pushed back the clearing out sale date due to the courts.
    So you may want to check your local ones again for how they've since adjusted prices.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    It's called a "leveraged buyout" and they're increasingly popular. The "plan to make money" involves lots of things, and they don't always work out. I'm too tired of all this to get into more detail yet again. This was discussed months ago.

Suffice it to say, a few people DID make money off of this, but it wasn't the company itself, and especially not its workers.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Optimus423

Optimus423 Toys"R"Us Veteran

News Credits:
    Action figures are now 40% off, Lego is now 20% off. Some other stuff dropped too as of today but, it's still all 30-50% off (certain exclusions apply).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

GB Got most of it, but he missed one essential step. While saddling the bought company with the debt used to buy it, there's a MASSIVE amount of management fees handed back to the corporate parasites. . . er, um, parent company. And if there's ever any sign that the bought company is beginning to right the ship, they increase those management fees. In their perfect vision, they can keep it going indefinitely (See Guitar Center, rumored to be on the brink year after year, yet still somehow plugging along), but they don't much care if they accidentally tip the bought company over the edge and kill it, because there's dozens of other purchased companies all balancing on that knife-edge feeding the parent company.

If you want to feel a little queasy, do some research on the companies Bain Capital has purchased over the last couple decades. It's fascinating just how utterly devoid of sense it seems on the surface, yet how completely understandable it is when greed is considered above all else.

• Like Like x 3
  13. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    It's less that I "missed" it and more that I intentionally glossed over it, because I'm sick and tired of talking about it. Also, there is some debate on the news sources out there as to whether or not this actually worked in the TRU purchase (that is, whether Bain, et al., actually made money on the TRU deal), which was the specific point that the poster was trying to pressure TRU about (TRU being the wrong entity, of course).

But you certainly describe the intention well enough, and if you or anyone else wants to supply all those dirty details, have at it!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

F**k em. Walmart is the new TRU.

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

That was pretty much as much as I wanted to say about it. I've watched the spiral happen to several other companies I've enjoyed over the years, and it's always fascinating to watch, even as it makes your stomach churn.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Not...exactly. If Hasbro were to go belly up, assets would be sold off. That includes all the companies absorbed into Hasbro's corporate webbing you mentioned...Kenner, Galoob, Milton Bradley, Tonka, Fisher-Price...all would be either packed together for another entity to slurp up or piece-mealed out to other companies (like Revell). But I highly doubt all of them would spontaneously stop existing. They'd just change hands.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Went looking today for a Grotusque but found nothing. Action Figures are 40% off now, but the only Transformer of note I found was Infernicus and frankly to me that's still too much for him.

Also saw enough Power Rangers Lion Fire Fortress Zords today that could be put together to probably make a single one to scale, and a enough WWE World Champion title belts to wrap around his waste, too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How depressing it is then to see so many Walmarts with toy isles with bare shelves and empty pegs most of the time....

• Like Like x 7
  19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, I've not found Grotusques at any TRUs in my area that I've been to (specifically in the LA area, if that helps). I imagine that they were just sent to a few.

I did find Arcees back in that weird time that they were showing up at TRUs, but those have long since been sold.

20. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Walmart sucks, Ray.

• Like Like x 2