Toy's, or Engineering Marvel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I'm wondering how many of you look at Transformers as just simply toys, figures to collect, or engineering marvels?
    I mean who would've thought "back in the day's" of turning an ordinary toy car, into a robot? Now, there are a lot of really simple Transformers that don't take much engineering at all like the small mini-bots, cassettes, and the like. Not talking about those guy's.
    I'm talking about the more complex figures, like Hound. Example, look at the triple-changers and Sixshot! Holly cow, how on Earth can ONE figure turn into three or six different thing's! How the hell do you design something like that? How do you design something that has six modes and not get itself mixed up?
    Look at all the hinges, bends, ratches, pieces, every tiny part. Then assembling the damn thing!
    Transformers are more than toys to me. There engineering marvels to be admired! Masterpieces are another prime example! WOW! Imagine what Masterpieces would be today, if G1 toy's back then were more like what the Masterpieces are now.
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! :D 

2. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're looking for engineering marvel, try the alternity line, you'd be surprised how many things going on in that small frame

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I agree. There are many times I wonder how they fit some awesome robots into the alt forms.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Animated is the pinnacle of transformers engineering

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's both. Most of G1, for example, are fantastic toys, and stuff like Alternity/Binaltech provides the mind-boggling engineering so many of us enjoy.
    Really? It's among the worst, from my perspective. There's no accounting for taste. :) 

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The engineering of the toys was what got me into TF in the first place. That concept of robot becoming realistic vehicle was too interesting. And I still wonder today how the hell the designers manage to come up with the ever more complicated designs and transformation schemes. I appreciate simple but clever ones and convoluted and puzzletastic ones.

7. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Indeed, many of them are engineering marvels IMHO... like 'em or not, most of the movieverse figures blow my mind! Starting with, of course, ROTF Leader Class Optimus Prime. But, the ingenuity level shines through on a lot of them... ROTF Mixmaster, ROTF Dirge, Arcee etc etc etc...

8. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    It good, but hardly the pinnacle.
    You're both wrong. :p 

9. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

Some of them are marvels, there were some great feats in EVERY line, not all bots were marvels but there is at lease one from EVERY line. TF's will always fall into a GREAT TOY category cause they are two toys in one!

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Masterpiece figures are pretty amazing. When everyone in my family saw the jet mode they all let out a " DAYUM!"

Though seriously, it's incredible.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

As much as I love them, they're still ultimately toys.

You ask me what an engineering marvel is and I'm going to tell you the Panama Canal or Grand Coulee Dam, not Alternity Convoy.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    They are toys that are very well engineered.

13. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Compared to most other action figures, TFs can be pretty brilliant in terms of engineering. But at the end of the day, they're still toys.

14. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Engineering marvels and design masterpieces.
    You see these fancy designers getting awards for stupid stuff - I'd punch each one of them in the stomach, stole their awards and give them all to the japanese TF designers.

And it's a shame comic book artists and writers get more praise than the people who design these masterpieces called Transformers. Much props to Koujin Ohno, the godfather of TFs.

And let me tell you all this: ROTF Prime is the ultimate expression of 25 years of toy engineering. It REALLY deserves a toy award or something.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The two need not be mutually exclusive. Transformers represent a toyline that utilizes not only high-level engineering design in the industrial production, but in the actual product design as well. Aesthetics, features, size, complexity, and quality are all indicators of good engineering design, and most of these translate into a good toy as well.

Furthermore, increased complexity does not necessarily indicate increased design quality. If a complex mechanism could have been replaced with a simpler one to accomplish the same task, why not use the simpler one, which would be more reliable and likely cheaper? Especially considering the toys are designed towards children for the most part, why make them excessively complex? Even simple, seemingly "cheap" transformers like scouts and legends are indicators of good engineering design, as they're designed to be simple, cost-effective, and small (all of which can be difficult goals to achieve) while at the same time matching the expected form as much as possible.

16. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

Man please, we're talking about a toy company working on a budget, not a nationally funded project. I know some of these toys are difficult to design and lots of time and thought went into these, not being ignorant the fact that the Panama Canal and other such structures are marvels, but this is a transformer message board not History Channel's Modern Marvel's, which by the way is a great show.

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What amazes me is they did all this without CAD.
    Has there been ANYTHING like the G1 Sixshot since him? I've never seen ANY figure turn into more than three modes.
    Transformers have often been called "Rubics Cube on crack" for a reason! LOL!

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned, that distinction belongs to the Car Brothers from RID.
    Maybe even some examples from the Movie lines.

I'm gonna have to ask for examples, because with most every TF figure I have, I fail to see where any joint or mechaism could e simplified. As a matter of fact, there are times when I would like to see a more complex mechanism used to yield a more satisfying result.

Companies like HASBRO will- and I believe have- cut every corner possible to produce a complex toy for as little money as possible.

19. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they are toys :) 

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Little of both. They're toys first and foremost but I really apprciate a well-executed design with an interesting transformation.