Toys of brand new characters vs. new toys of obscure forgotten characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Which do you prefer?

New characters can bring character designs that we are unfamilar with, fulfill a role that no existing character can fill and sometimes have a unique alternate mode that no character before has. However they have no history or recognition - their character has to go through the introductions to establish their place amongst the well-known characters.

Obscure characters being brought back is more preferable to me. To many people, there would be no difference between a brand new character and an obscure forgotten character being bought back because they would be unfamilar with both of them however, if you've been a long time fan or learned about the characters that were around before you became a fan then you would be familar with the old character and should be grateful for the oppurtunity for the character to get a new toy.

Examples:

Movie Barricade was a brand new character - a Decepticon police car had never been done before and no existing character could have fulfilled his role. He quickly rose to well known status because of his appearance in the movie.

Darkwing and Dreadwind may not have had toys for the past twenty years or much involvement in the fiction but their new toys resulted in fan approval despite their new toys being repaints/remolds of Classic/Universe toys.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    i honestly don't have a preference either way. a good toy is a good toy, doesn't matter the name or bio attached, sometimes it can help, but in aLL i buy for the mold not the character.

3. Bass X0

News Credits:
    well yeah, but there's also a lot of people who care about Transformers characters too as well as the toys.

4. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I'm leaning towards brand new characters, every generation the same names keep popping in somewhere or somehow. I think a change is in order.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New character.

Mostly because chances are that Obscure-bot-number-2 was obscure because he sucked anyway.

6. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Both. As long as the character is interesting or atleast cool looking I'm good

7. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

I'm a bit more leanin' to obscure characters, but not sayin' not to bring out new ones as well.

G2 4ever! XD

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

<.<

>.>

*coughDriftisgaycough*

9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'm happy with a little bit of both.

10. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I do enjoy quite a few of the homage/Classics/Universe I do think it's getting a little overdone. That being said, it is really an incredible time for Transformers. Animated, Movie, and Classics really gives you so many choices.

11. Bass X0

News Credits:
    I'm talking obscure as in Trailbreaker, Gears, Seaspray, Grapple... those kinda characters. The ones who DON'T have their names keep popping in somewhere or somehow (except reissues).

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    What he said.

13. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I like them both, but I like obscure characters more.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    obscure......i want a universe toy of ruckus....cybertron dirtboss retool....damnit.

15. Nocturn

Nocturn Doesn't really use TFW

This.

16. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

What about a 3rd option... New toys for popular old characters (that have been shafted over the years!).

MORE G1 FOR UNIVERSE 2.0!!!

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Brawn, Cosmos, Beachcomber and co are in the Universe Legends so maybe now they've re-entered the TF toy universe in this small way they might become more common in the future and feature more in other lines and toy size classes. Well, Brawn is making it to Animated and there was that Beachcomber TF:A design floating about. Not forgetting TF:A Wheeljack and Perceptor either. In fact, TF:A has done more to bring old charcters back than probably any other line, although we have had some with the Universe line's new molds of ones like Silverbolt and Cyclonus, etc. And I could see Grapple being a repaint of the recent Universe Inferno figure with a few changes.

Personally I like to see old characters given another go as I have more of a connection to them through the old days than some new guy with no background story (especially in terms of non-show/comic/movie media figures). I'd like to see Hasbro rattle through redoing all the previous characters before doing new ones. Does that make me boring and unimaginative? Meh, I don't care.

18. BumbleBabe

BumbleBabe Banned

give me the old characters revamped its the main reason i'm still collecting.. sure animated is cute but theres nothing like looking at my classics shelf system and seeing incredible incarnations of childhood heroes

i really do want and ultra sized motormaster trailer to legs and all
    that would just end all for me

19. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Barricade is not a brand new character. He was a G1 micromaster that transformed into...a decepticon race car. Form is different, function is the same. Time to put up a new example

20. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I dont mind reusing obscure or old characters with new figures, as long as they keep the form/feel of the original toy. For example, G1 Red Alert is an emergency race car... design... thing. Anyway, how did he become a ICBM launcher in Cybertron Defence? How is this Red Alert? Here, I would have preferred a new character. But, in Cybertron (ironically), it works as an emergency off roader.

Otherwise, it feels like the name is just being used as an advert.