toys i can't consider transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have been collecting these toys for a while, and i really like them as a whole.
    but some figures i have never been able to truly accept as transformers. it is likely that i don't because they are Japanese only releases or the aesthetic of the line just veers a bit too far from the main lines for me.

best example off my head is Dai Atlas or the Zone line. It's not really a TF to me. i concede already that it is in TF canon so it isn't a debatable point.
    it bothers me that Kiss Players i can accept, but not something like Dai Atlas.

In the american lines, i suppose the micromaster bases count. i consider them playsets more than figures. i owned Skyhopper, which i liked.)

this doesn't mean that i wouldn't want Sonic Bomber or Dai Atlas, i just would have a hard time putting them into the middle of my TF collection.

anyone else feel this way- about any other TFs?

2. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    no. transformers is transformers, mayne.

3. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

Transformers figures that don't transform. I'll call them transformers, but they really AREN'T.

4. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never cared for Transformers that don't actually, yknow...transform. That includes Action Masters, Revoltech, statues...

And for the record Micromasters are awesome! The Micromasters transform (thumbs up in my book), and so do the bases (double win!) ie. Skyhopper = helicopter and base

edit: boxorak beat me to it

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Sort of.

Bumper Battlers, RPM's, etc. Things of that nature. Essentially the non-mainline non-transforming extra youth friendly toys.

Activators are a yes though.

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Gobots :p 

7. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas IS a Micromaster base. With a robot mode. So you should justify it like that. Hell, he's part of a three-robot combiner.

And here I thought this was going to be this week's Power Core Combiners thread.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The combined mode is kinda lame though.

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't consider G1 Prime to be a Transformer because he partforms. It's CHEATING.

10. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I used to not give any thought to gobots. However, once you watch Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos with Rom Stol and Baikanfu, and all of a sudden, they go from craptacular, to beyond awesome. I think that if Tonka had aired a dubbed version of Machine Robo in the US, Transformers would have had a lot more competition, and wouldn't have steam rolled over them like they did. As it ended up, Transformers had the far more awesome TV show than Challenge of the Gobots.

I agree with the statement above about RPMs and such. Action Masters are debatable, although I do collect them.

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    So is ROTF Devastator's. :lol 

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Cant beat that :lol .

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas wouldn't be the type of aesthetic that I favour either. There's a bunch of stuff I'd feel that way about. But it's easy enough to ignore.

At this stage of the game they've basically moved far enough away from stuff that didn't do it for me and done enough stuff that was more in line with what I want from Transformers, that I can quite happily ignore a lot of stuff that I don't care for. The existence of stuff like that no longer bothers me.

I dunno if I'd say I don't consider them transformers, I just don't consider them at all. They are irrelevant to me.

14. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I'm sure a lot of people would say actionmaster aren't TF. I used to be like that but recently got into them. Yes, they don't transform but I still like them cause they are TF characters. Playability is limited. It wasn't the best part of TF but still TF. Don't blame the toys. Was going to say "blame the makers" but not sure if that helps either. if you don't like them don't buy them.

15. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My feelings exactly. Not my favorite, but they are most certainly a part of the original G1 line, and thus require being collected. Some of the larger bases and deluxe figures I've found are rather hard to complete.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The mere fact that something is 'part of G1' doesn't require that it to be collected. I consider myself something of a gee-wunner, but there's plenty of things that fall under G1 that I haven't the slightest interest in.

Were it not for the fact that G1 has come to be defined as 'everything before G2', no one would bother with a lot of that stuff. I always felt it was pretty clear that Transformers had jumped the shark long before G2 came along.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, if it's a Transformer and it's a toy, than it's a Transformer in my book.

I don't consider actual statues or busts to be Transformers, just supplementary pieces (like that gorgeous Sideshow statue of Movie Prime) that look cool in their own right. They can still work in my collection though, but I guess I mentally file them under "miscellaneous."

18. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Hmmm I buy RPMs/Speed Stars, but in reality they are just glorified Hotwheels/Matchbox type toys.

Although Mighty Muggs, Wacky Wobblers, Action Masters, etc. do not actually transform, I still consider them Transformers since they are the bot modes of TF characters. Some collectors I know would not get anything that does not really transform, but I get everything that I like eventhough they are just static figures.

19. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Huh? Since when did G1 Prime partsform? The only bits of him that are required to be detached are the fists. And the G1 Seekers are far worse at partsforming.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A minor nitpick - Skyhopper is not the helicopter. Skyhopper is the Micromaster that comes with the helicopter. So technically, Jorod's view that they're playsets more than figures is bang on the money - they were actually sold as "character with playset", but even at the time, the character name was given to the whole set so that it seemed like the whole thing was Skyhopper.

Stuff I don't consider Transformers? Stuff like the Crossovers I guess, I think of them like the old Marvel Megamorphs and Shapeshifters. I've got a pretty loose definition. And a lot of love for Action Masters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.