Toys for the Sake of the Character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AniProwl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I buy for the mold more than I do for the character. Liking the character certainly doesn't hurt, but if the figure is good I'll buy a toy of a character I have no real particular attachment to.

2. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I typically don't find myself buying a toy based on character, though sometimes I do. This has been particularly common with my Animated purchases. For example I hated the Jet Twins toys (nothing against those that like it) but I find their cartoon portrayal to be absolutely adorable, and it made me reconsider taking them back. Of course the opposite has happened: I almost bought Grimlock's toy, but I really hate his cartoon portrayal so I objected (I might get him if I find him cheap, but whatev)

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Both.

There are many figures I get because I love the mold or the mechanics of the figure, or even the deco.

However, there are also figures I get because I like the character, such as some of the BW toys, who I thought had some toys best left forgotten in some cases. I've also been bitten by the Animated bug, so I've got one of each of the main show characters, even if the reviews and pics didn't win me over; though with many of them, they win me over in the long run.

4. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i often like to buy cool or figures that are homages to their original counterparts. but in the end if i decide to ignore a line a tv series can make me change my mind. it happened on beastwars, it happened on animated (though transmetals is my favourite part of beastwars and i really love animated figures the moment i saw them in person).

i expect that if i get any ROTF movie figures it will mainly due to the movie, if i ever get movie devastator it will be how he is in the movie cos atm he does nothing for me.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Absolutely. How much I like a character can play a role on whether I get their toy or not. If a toy is a borderline pick up, but I love the character, I'll most likely get the bot.

6. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah 100% I don`t get non show stuff, For G1 I get everything up to season 3 and skip the rest (shame thats the most expensive stuff though)

7. honcho

honcho BW Megatron Completionist

Ebay:
    I get the toys for the character 99% of the time. The other 1% I buy if they're a dinosaur, regardless of the character.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    What these robots have characters now? I was going diaclone saga with it this whole time.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The best "yes" example I have is pretty much the entire Animated series. I had zero desire to get into this line when it debuted, but I liked the show so much that I ended up buying the figures. After getting through the QC nightmares that plagued the first two waves, they turned out to be some of my all time favorite TF designs ever. I still can't believe that these thing actually transform, let alone look so rounded & anime in bot mode exactly as they appear on screen.

A more specific example of buying a toy of a character for the sake of having it is Animated Lugnut. While the mold design itself is pretty cool, I hate how small it is and will forever be pissed at the powers that be for taking the largest character in the show and giving him one of the smallest toys. Insult to injury is that figures like Bumblebee and one-off episode characters like Wreck-Gar are bigger. It just throws the whole collection display out of whack imo.

Other examples of a few characters who have particularly awful bot and/or alt modes but needed to be boughyt for completion sakes are Alternators Sunstreaker & Sideswipe, Classics/Universe/Henkei Grimlock, Megatron, Octankor, Galvatron, Powerglide, Inferno & Red Alert, and the tiny Universe Legends like Brawn.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm on the opposite side of the same coin on this one. Admittedly, I completely respect that the toys are such a good representation of their cartoon counterparts. I just will never get them because I think the original design is an insult and an abomination, and I refuse to watch or collect.

I'll admit that if I ever was to get suckered into watching, I'd probably want the entire line though...