Toys for the Sake of the Character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AniProwl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Do characters in a show influence you to get their plastic counterpart?

For me , this happens most of the time.

2. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

yes. In fact that is my primary motivator when collecting TFs...do I like the character?

I find this helps me considerably in terms of maintaining collecting focus, and not just obsessively buying every toy simply because it's a Transformer.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    yes-almost all the toys i get are because of who they are, like Sunstorm and Skywarp.

though i also get some because of the character i could make them into, like Atomic Lugnut-im not using him like a mutated Lugnut, but... actually i havent decided yet, but he's gonna be kool

4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Yep, the majority of my collection is due to which characters I like best(eg. some of my Movie figs), while some I buy just because I hear rave reviews (eg. Universe Cyclonus).

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    For me, it's often the opposite. I tend to be drawn to toys with less defined characters; I see these as more of a blank slate for integrating them into my universe. I think that's why I love the whole Cybertron so much; I didn't really like the fiction, so they all blank slates.

6. myhobby

myhobby ArigatouArigatouArigatou-

animated prowl and lockdown
    universe dinobot
    movie bonecrusher

what can i say? i love macho characters

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    All the time. I only buy a toy if it fulfills both of these criteria: (1) I like the character it represents, and (2) the toy is good. If not for reading about how great the characters were in the G1 Marvel comics, I probably would not have started collecting TFs.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

My collection falls into 3 categories:

1) Decepticons. My brother and I establish the faction early on. He collects mostly Autobots and I collect Decepticons. I would still buy Autobots if the fancy suits me. I got MP Prime so it can oppose my MP Megatron in an eternal struggle for Cybertron.

2) Dinobots. My brother is a big fan of G1 Snarl and Swoop, but other than that I've been collecting them through the ages, from BM, Armada, Classics, to Animated. Hopefully the MP line will churn out other Dinobots for me to collect.

3) Hot Rod. Just have a liking for this character since I was little. Got all the Hot Rod and Rodimus versions from each line. Would love to get all his Black repaints but that's too expensive for me.

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Absolutely. Both show and comic. I didn't care for the War Within versions till I read the comic. Now I have all of them, floppiness in the Titaniums be damned :p 

10. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Yup. I definitely got way more interested in Animated when I saw the show. Now I got 2 VERY crowded shelves of them.

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I'm most influenced by the Marvel G1 comics, it's my canon.

That's why Megs and Ratchet (in no particular order) are my favourite characters. I have a lot of Megs (three more on their way, he's like Pokemon to me!), and quite a few Ratchets.

I'm also influenced by the aesthetics of the toys, I love Animated, but the only Movie toy I have is Fracture. I'm not a Movie hater, just don't like the look of the toys, didn't even get Megs or Ratchet.

The cartoons influence me a bit as well, I try not to watch Masterforce too often!

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely. With both Beast Wars and Animated, I dismissed the toy lines at first, but then got heavily into them after being drawn in by the characters in the respective animated series. I was surprised at how well-developed the characters are in both series and wanted to complete the show casts, as much as possible. For G1, I've purchased a number of vintage toys (Thunderwing and Scorponok in particular) because of the characters' portrayal in the G1 Marvel comics.

However, since I'm primarily a toy collector who takes some interest in the associated media, I get some good toys even if the characters in the associated media are terrible; in those cases, I just 'rewrite' the characters to fit my own personal canon. Energon and Cybertron, in particular, had atrocious cartoons but excellent toys which I purchased in spite of the animated series.

I'm fond of Ratchet for much the same reason. That's also the reason I'm eternally tempted to get a Ratchet figure and a Megatron figure of comparable sizes (from some line or another) and melt them together.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  13. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

The cartoon and comics have huge influence on me as to who to buy..however, i will not pass up a sweet design or funky color scheme :)  i remember being in toysrus along time ago, looking at g2 starscream, ramjet, and the dinobots and buying them for their crazy colors :) 

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm definately a character collector too. I love having physical represenations of the characters I love with the toys. My biggest shelves center around BB and Hot Rod/Rodimus/Hot Shot. A good portrayal of a character (comic or cartoon) can sometimes get me to buy a toy even if I had no interest in the toy before that issue/episode. But in general it helps me to keep my collection focused on my top ten characters or so epcially when it comes to G1 and homages - BB, Rodimus, Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Jazz, Ratchet, Aerialbots, Thundercracker, Starscream, and Hound.

Though sometimes it's hard when I love a show so much that all the characters seem like my favorites such as with TFA or BW.

15. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Depends. Sometimes a cool character can make you buy a crappy toy.

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    For me it's mainly the toys. I can be pushed over the line into liking something based on the character, but I would have bought the toy regardless. I get influenced a lot by what people on the boards like when it comes to molds that are questionable. For example, Universe Bruticus - I don not like those molds much and I already have 2xEnergon Bruticus but with a lot of people loving it I picked one up anyway.

The recent Blur sadness convinced me to buy a 2nd toy of him. I had not opened my initial one so I got a second to be able to play with it. In fact it should be arriving this week. Another good example is G1 Devistator. Those toys are IMO crap. I have all six but if it was not for the comics+cartoon I would not care less about them.

17. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a show but IDW's Ratchet convinced me to buy his Universe toy.

18. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Snap with Scorpy, though I also wanted him, but never got him as a kid.

I really want a Thunderwing (and a Black Shadow, but that's another matter) :p 

19. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. If it weren't for me absolutely loving Animated Blitzwing in the show then I probably wouldn't have his toy at this very moment.

and me liking the character is why I want a G1 Huffer so much.

20. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada Hot Shot just for that stupid JaAm comic...